Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 23:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/217/185
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Aria Farm meat chips

Have any Kiwis tried these frozen meat chips (made in Hamilton)? They come in lamb, chicken, pork & beef & all have less than 1g per 100g of carbohydrate (each one has different amount).

We found some lamb chips in our supermarket freezer today, read the ingredients list & took some home to eat for lunch. They were delicious. It cost under $5 for 500g which the two of us ate at one sitting - a bit greedy - they could go further!
They are quick to cook as you put them in a pre-heated oven, still frozen, for 10 minutes. They can also be fried or grilled.

Ingredients per 100g serving for the lamb ones are -
18.3g protein, 12.4g fat (6.4 saturated fat), 0.2g carb, 0g sugar, 298mg potassium, 138 mg sodium, 2.2mg iron
They contain over 97% meat plus herbs & spices, seaweed extract as gelling agent, vege protein, acidity regulators & ascorbic acid (vitC) as anti-oxidant . These additives seem natural.

They are not crisp (the word chip refers to the shape I guess) & are spoiled by overcooking so don't try to crisp them. The texture is more like luncheon sausage. Great for a quick snack - lots of creative possibilities. Any comments?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 00:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/122/116 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default aria chips

Hi,

My daughter loves these for dinner. Must try and get some for myself. They sound good - I guess no Tomato sauce though!!

Geri
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 22:08
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 140/140/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Tomato sauce

Hi
Those chips are yummy. Tomato sauce - well Jok'anal (sorry not sure of exact spelling) sell sugar free tomato sauce it is very yummy. It think is may have fructose in it (not sure) - so I guess it depends on where you are at with your Induction or Maintenance etc.
They also sell jams and sauces (like chutney sauce etc). They are made for diabetics and made in NZ. The New World on Willis St in Wellington sell them. I think they are in the diabetic shelf.
Check it out!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 00:39
Registered Member

Stats: 194/156/140
BF:I hate to think
Progress: 70%

Where do you buy the meat chips?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 02:11

Stats: 159/152/140 Female 163
BF:?
Progress: 37%
Thumbs up Thanks Floribunda

I had forgotten about those chips - had tried them when they first came out -wasn't that keen -but now I'm on the new WOE they might be very handyto have in freezer.
Cheers

Last edited by macadamia : Tue, Apr-29-03 at 02:12.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 17:17

Stats: 123/122/116 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default aria chips

Hi Maren,

I have found them in Foodtown Auckland in the freezer section

Good to have stored away in case of emergencies when you don't have fresh meat.

Happy hunting

Geri
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 02:31

Stats: 159/152/140 Female 163
BF:?
Progress: 37%

I have purchased them from Pak 'N Save in Auckland too.

Last edited by macadamia : Wed, Apr-30-03 at 02:38.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 22:06

Stats: 245/236/140 Female 169cm
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default aria meat chips

I have used them and found them to be pretty good as far as easy convenience foods go for Low Carbers. I have used them and frozen chinese vegie mix to do v quick chinese stirfry. Handy to have in the freezer cos if you want a low carb snak they only take 5mins to make.
By the way is it 81.3g protein? otherwise there are a whole heap of grms missing
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 14:12

Stats: 245/236/140 Female 169cm
BF:
Progress: 9%

was thinking after reading these posts that u could easily make meat chips yourself.
From looking at them they are just minced meat with herbs and a binding agent so there is no reason you couldnt just get beef, lamb or chicken mince and chuck in an egg or two for the binder. To replicate the chip look you can just press the meat/egg mix into a shallow baking dish or sponge tin and bake at a low temp til cooked and slice when cool. Should be the same, as the only reason that the meat chips take so little time to cook is that they've been precooked. Am going to try this afternoon and will report back