Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Which is more desirable?
Cardio before Weights 191 44.42%
Cardio After Weights 143 33.26%
Cardio Alone 54 12.56%
No cardio just Weights 42 9.77%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

#106   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 10:15

Plan: maintenance
Stats: 145/125/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Built -

Quote:
There has actually been the suggestion that for women, gearing training and diet to coincide with our cycle may be reasonable: testosterone peaks in a woman's body at ovulation. I intend to do some experimenting with this notion in the near future, eating more carbs around ovulation and lifting in heavier, shorter sets during this time, more compound movements, more excentric movements (all of which stimulate testosterone in male lifters) and fewer carbs with somewhat longer sets and supersets during the rest of the month. Kind of like a bulking and cutting cycle in every month. Since I enjoy bulking so much, I'm thinking this might very well give me one more thing to look forward to with ovulation...

You are a fount of information! I have been thinking the exact same thing but wasn't quite sure how to fashion the program.

Quote:
Personally, I have always dieted and worked out based upon my monthly cycle. I have found where I am in my cycle has an important effect on what I can accomplish and how I feel in terms of diet and exercise. I too have done my "bulking up" that one week before my period, because my appetite is so huge, I can eat enough to lift hard. Once my period begins, I make adjustments to my diet, because it is then that I am better at losing body fat.

imagoddess - is this covered in another thread somewhere?

-Nancy

Oh! I only lift, cardio holds no interest for me since I reached my goal weight. I waited to start BFL until I reached my 'magic' number because I just knew I couldn't handle the scale moving the 'wrong' way when I was still trying to achieve my goal. But now I know a better way to lose weight than Atkins which was lifting, aerobics (never anywhere near weights) and zig-zagging my calories.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 23:42

Plan: Haven't decided yet...
Stats: 240/240/180 Male 180 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

In my opinion, I would do a warm up, then a nice full cardio workout for close to an hour. (If I wanted to loose weight)

Else, warmup, weights, warmdown + 10-30 min intense cardio.
  #108   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Lean For Life
Stats: 151.4/140.4/125 Female 63 inches
BF:34%/25%/20%
Progress: 42%

Definetly before.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 01:41

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

IMO, it comes down to personal preference.

For me, when I'm training using techniques/exercises that are form and stability critical. I don't want to be somewhat tired from cardio, so in this case, cardio would come after or even on a different day. Otherwise, I throw it in whenever I feel like it. Sometimes, before, sometimes after, sometimes on a different day.

I think to put yourself in the best position for success, you do it whenever you are most likely to get it done with some consistency.
  #110   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 01:21
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH
I think to put yourself in the best position for success, you do it whenever you are most likely to get it done with some consistency.

This is key!
  #111   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/176/150 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress: 43%

Before. Gets my heartrate up so that more oxygen can reach my muscles when I am lifting and doing reps. Burns more calories that way.
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 19:27
upback

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I've been doing cardio and just started weights and I find for me that:

Cardio before Weights

my muscles are warmed up, after weights I don't think I could do cardio
  #113   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 20:20

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anisha
Ideally weights first because then you burn out all your glycogen and are fully on fat burning by the time you start cardio

The glycogen in the muscles cannot leave the muscles. If you do an upper body workout, you use the glycogen only in those muscles that were worked. Overall this is not very much (except for those particular muscles) because a weight workout is reasonably short. Cardio is usually lots of legs reps (running, cycling, etc.) and will use the glycogen in those muscles + some from the liver that replenishes the muscles.
  #114   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 17:21
SenseShine

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default It depends on your goal

If your goal is to improve cardiovascular fitness, then I believe cardio training should come first and then weights/resistance training second; vice-versa if your goal is to improve muscularity and strength.
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 00:01

Plan: ny ultimate body plan
Stats: 157/149/132 Female 5'6
BF:22%
Progress: 32%
Default for more fat loss...

If you are more interested in fat loss as well as tone, then you must do weights first. You really dont start burning into your fat until you are 20 minutes into your heart rate elevating. If you do your weights first (try to have little rest between sets to keep your heart rate up) you body will be all warmed up and ready to start dipping into your fat stores.

If you do cardio first...then the first 20 minutes you will be just warming up to get to the fat loss level...when the other way...you just jump on your machine and you are ready to be a fat burning machine!! Trust me!

The more muscle fibers you have, the more calories you burn through out the day...its good to lift! If you just want to lean and harden up and not get bulky at all, depending on if you tend to bulk up, do light weights, high reps, 15-20. I recomend the new NY ultimate body plan....the dvd that jsut came out for the book Is unbelievable...I highly recomend the diet and the workout....when you are ready to maintain...you switch over to "sound mind, sound body", david kirshts other book. WOW! I just started and am already seeing crazy results, and It is low impact...so its not bad on joints!
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 00:28
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri79
You really dont start burning into your fat until you are 20 minutes into your heart rate elevating.............If you do cardio first...then the first 20 minutes you will be just warming up to get to the fat loss level

Hi there!
This is true for those on high carb diets.......they must first use up the available carbs in their system before switching to fat burning. The beauty of a low carb diet is, we're already there! The moment you begin exercise, you're already in "fat-burning mode".
I agree, though, that if you want to lift, then lift first......you want to lift as intensely as possible, and this will be difficult if you're already fatigued from cardio.
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 15:36

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 216/176.5/170 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:43%/29.3%/22%
Progress: 86%

What about a little of both? I usually do 30 mins cardio, then lift, then another 30 mins of cardio. Anyone else break it up that way?
  #118   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 14:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/226.5/190 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 55%

I do weights before cardio... it was reccomended by my doctor.

You lose weight faster by doing it that way he says... studies show. 20 minutes of weights can get you into that fat burning mode.. then when you do your cardio it's just burning up fat.