Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 23:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/210/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:39.5/38.8/25
Progress: 35%
Default Need Advice - Did I mess up the induction process?

Hi,

I need a bit of advice . . .
I've got a journal going under HappyMomma if you want all the details. But basically I restarted Atkins Induction after a high-grade migraine. So Sunday was day 1 (again) - I did pretty good up until today - I had a major emotional meltdown last night & I ended up feeling terrible today = I gave in to one of my comfort foods - a tall decaf soymilk latte. Due to this breach of plan, and my second indulgence today (6 oz. of beer) I ended up consuming 43g of carbs.

I know this isn't too terribly high - but it doesn't count as induction . . . right? The two indulgences today were for emotional reasons - I really seem to already be past carb. cravings. And I haven't felt any insulin spikes & crashes at all - even today.

So what would you recommend? If I want to keep doing Atkins, do I need to start over again, and count tomorrow as day 1? Or is this just a bump in the road, and I should count tomorrow as day 5?

Realistically I think I'll probably end up on Schwarzbein, but I was excited about the possibility of dropping off quite a few pounds to get me going. However, if necessary I can also really accept the fact that with my current state of health, LCing - keeping my carbs. under 45g a day, might be better for me & I will still lose weight.

As you can tell, I have been struggling with making a decision about what to do. TIA for any suggestions and advice.

Last edited by HappyMomma : Wed, Jul-17-02 at 23:38.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 05:27
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/249.6/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I posted in your journal.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 09:33

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I would just keep going until the end of the original 2 week Induction and see how you feel.

By the way, did drinking the latte or the beer really make you feel better about anything? Or perhaps you have noticed that the short-term relief you felt has been far out-weighed by the upset you feel about not staying on the LC plan? This is something to weigh in your mind the next time something emotional tries to get you to eat carbs.

I found that when I had been doing LC for a while, the carbs no longer "fixed' things for me - I still had the problems after the sugar. So I decided that some protein food would probably be do just as much good for the problem AND I would still be on plan.

Your body will take any excuse to try to get you to eat carbs instead of protein which takes more energy to process. So when you want sugar or starch, tell yourself that you can have it AFTER you eat 2 or 3 ounces of protein (meat, cheese, egg, fish) especially with some fat (mayo, butter, oil). I've never had a craving that could survive that treatment.

#4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 10:35
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default A bag of issues

Your post showed a bag of issues that you have to deal with. the good thing is that you were actually able to get them all out in the open.

Commitment: What is your plan? Why is it your plan? No sense marrying one guy and planning to have an affair with the best man while saying your vows! If you choose Atkins it has to be for all the right reasons. Fast weight loss is not the best one.

Emotional Issues: You know food doesn't fix them don't you? Yes there is the serotonin response from carbs, but then you are getting into drugs and endocrinology. Does your body need serotonin? What about 5-HTP? Are you prone to depression? Perhaps St. John's Wort or some other herbal remedy? Look into Dr. Atkin's other books on healthy living the low carb way.

If there are deeper psychological issues, it is good that you are recognizing them and you will feel even better when you make constructive plans to overcome them. A victor always feels better than a victim!

Practical Advice: get out the calendar and mark off two weeks. get out the book and copy the induction food pages. Go to the market and buy as much variety as you can find from that list. (you will be surprised) Put a HUGE pitcher of water in your fridge.
Put a check mark on the fourth day before your two weeks is up.
On that day begin planning which foods you will use to increase your carb intake to the next level. Don't even think about it before then. Sorry for the bluntness, but I am trying to get a lot in here. Hope this helps.

Colin
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 11:27
Registered Member

Stats: 232/210/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:39.5/38.8/25
Progress: 35%

Hi,

Thanks for the advice & suggestions! My issues are definately complicated, and I realize I didn't give you all very much information to go on.

I am actually a counselor for juvenile offenders, and I have a degree in Sociology & Psychology - so I tend to over-analyze myself and it helps to have your much more objective perspectives. I am also very aware of my problem with using food as a positive reward, and also as a comfort when I am not feeling good. I am really trying to work on this issue, as I don't want to pass it on to my son.

I am currently seeing a psychologist, and I've been in therapy for years. In the past I've mostly just worked on changing my behaviors, but we both (psy & me) agree that there is a chemical component for me and I've begun trying some medications to deal with my anxiety - so far prosac, serzone & buspar have all sent me into higher levels of aggitation & anxiety than I've ever felt before . . . a big part of the reason why I'm starting to get migraines again (I have eliminated my food allergens & for the past 3 months have been doing great - only minor migraines.) and why I having trouble doing induction. Maybe I'm taking on too much at once.

I'm starting paxel today . . . at for now, I guess I'm going to continue to try to get my carbs. down around 20g - and just count today as day 5.

Anyway - thanks again for all the suggestions. From your advice I can see how you both have made Atkins work for you. About your question Colin - I am commited only to eating healthy, healing my body and low-carbing . . . so I may or may not end up doing the Atkins plan. If I can make it work & lose some weight I'll use it, otherwise I'll probably work to keep my carbs. as low as I can comfortable do so - maybe around 45g a day, 15g or less per main meal.

I am feeling a bit better today (buspar is working its way out of my system now,) and I really appreciate your advice and support.

Take care,
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 12:29
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi Monica,
thanks for the information, it does help to see which advice might be the most appropriate.

This is a big one. If you search the site you will see it over and over from those who have had success,( and see it ignored in many who are failing). Pick one plan and stay with it through the beginning and middle stages. It takes a bit more research, but you can't ignore the success.

I like Atkins (as I've stated elsewhere) because I like the fat. Karen likes Protein Power because it is easy to remember (for her) "only eat 30 grams of carbs" Others like the carb addict diet because of the reward meal ( though I would like to see that one fly at an AA meeting "this? Oh that's my reward scotch") Obviously not the plan for me. So perhaps part of your soul searching will also be to really understand what is important to you and how your personality fits in with each of the plans. Barry Sears has said " they all eventually become the same"; in Atkins that is called the maintenance level.

Quite the knot you have to unravel!

Colin