Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-19, 09:37

Plan: Low Carbish
Stats: 169/152/135 Female 5'2" Age:81
BF:
Progress: 50%

I just noticed this thread. Years ago Dr. Atkins wrote about CAD/CALP and his feeling was that it is the perfect method for a cheat day but long term probably not since many people get carb creep. Makes sense.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-19, 05:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I figure if moderation worked for me, I wouldn't be HERE.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 03:57

Plan: Keto, LC, IF
Stats: 231/220/165 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress:

Question from a nube to this forum - what is CAD/CALP?
And while I'm at it, what is DANDR?
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 04:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyWaffl
Question from a nube to this forum - what is CAD/CALP?
And while I'm at it, what is DANDR?

CAD is Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. It is based on putting almost all of your daily carbs (a rather high amount is allowed) into ONE meal, and two very low carb meals. CALP is Carbohydrate Addict's Life Span Program.

It sounds very appealing, and if you can happily eat according to very strict rules about proportions and carb counting, it might work. For someone like me, it's just another way to keep the cravings alive and roaring. Those portions get juggled "just once" and cheat day becomes CHEAT WEEK and then it's the pounds coming back with friends.

DANDR is the book, Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, which has several versions. Many of us started with the 2002 version, as I did. This plan starts with no more than 20 carbs a day, varies via "net vs total" carbs, and then sets out a way to "climb the carb ladder" for weight loss and maintenance.

It seems to be a much more sustainable plan for most. In my case, I need to stay Very Low Carb and like 90% animal foods -- much closer to what's called Carnivore/Zero Carb.

Which I actually ENJOY. Blew through my health and weight loss goals with ZERO craving issues. It has turned into something I've done all this year, and looks like the most sustainable plan I've ever tried. Like deirdra, I can have, at very spaced intervals, ONE meal with some carbs in it. This holiday season I did both Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, at a buffet where I concentrated on meat, seafood, cheese, and fatty sauces, a couple of bites of a starchy side, and a half-sized dessert.

That worked, but I know I couldn't do it every day. Those carbs WILL climb and get on top of ME.

Essentially, based on the years I've spent here reading about people's struggles, my own status as someone in the Triple Digits Club (100+ pounds to lose) can be a clear indicator of how "carb sensitive" our bodies might be. My carbs must be kept low, because even moderate amounts signals my body to release a TANKER CAR OF INSULIN. This drops my blood sugar, I get hangry like bear, and ready to rip the door off the fridge.

I can't live that way, and it turns out, I WILL die that way.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 22:15

Plan: Keto, LC, IF
Stats: 231/220/165 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress:

Thanks WereBear! I was wracking my brain to try work out those acronyms.

DANDR must be the book I read in 2004. Had been going to the gym Mon-Fri for 6 months and didn't even drop a dress size. Introduced Atkins and the fat fell off BUT I got so much flack from my friends and colleagues that I gave it up. Won't be doing that again.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-20, 04:55

BF:

Quote:
Introduced Atkins and the fat fell off BUT I got so much flack from my friends and colleagues that I gave it up. Won't be doing that again.

You are far from the first, and far from the last. But at least you have figured out what works.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-20, 09:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Polly, if you look way up at the top of this page, you'll see a green strip. Find the link called TIPS. Then scroll down to the Lingo link. You'll find many of the common acronyms listed there.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-20, 19:17

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Thanks WereBear! I was wracking my brain to try work out those acronyms.

DANDR must be the book I read in 2004. Had been going to the gym Mon-Fri for 6 months and didn't even drop a dress size. Introduced Atkins and the fat fell off BUT I got so much flack from my friends and colleagues that I gave it up. Won't be doing that again.

Lots of helpful support on your new journey ....
Hope you plan to open a journal and stay a while. Lots of support as we have all been there done that.