Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 17:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%
Default Metformin side effects?

Hi, I have PCOS and although I am not *actively* trying to get pregnant, if it happens I would be thrilled! (And now I know I can get pregnant, as when I was on low carb last year, 3 months in I got preggo after not being able to conceive for 8 years!) Unfortunately, I miscarried though, and I am trying to ensure that this does not happen again.
My question is, since most PCOS sufferers are low in progesterone (which is vital to keeping the pregnancy), the Metformin is prescribed for pregnant women. (As well as just those suffering from PCOS). Anyway, are there any side effects while taking Metformin? Any supplements or anything that should be avoided while taking it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 22:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/246/130 Female 5 foot 2.5 inches
BF:47%/32.0%/22.5%
Progress: 1%

my fertility doc had me on progesterone supplements during the 1st and 2nd trimesters to help make sure that I had the proper support for the babies... also I participated in a research study on metformin and breastfeeding and now it is not contraindicated during that time.. so I would guess it would be ok during pg and help keep the hormones in better balance
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 11:54

Plan: IR
Stats: -/-/- Female 71
BF:
Progress:

As for side effects from met, some people experience loose stools and an upset stomach at the beginning. I was hoping that would be the case as I also have IBS-C. I only had a slightly upset stomach for a few days. Besides that, I personally didn't have any side effects.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-04, 09:37
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hiya, I had a whole plethora of really bad side effects, but thats not to say you will....make sure you go onto them slowly - like one a day for a week, or however much your DR wants you to do it by and then up it weekly.
I had severe tiredness and a generally washed out feeling. Sickness, upser stomach, headaches and palpitations!!! LOL I am seriously not a hypocondriac either, I am usually really very well in myself so I had to come off of it because it made me feel awful!
However, like I said you might not get any of those things, it might just be that i was very unlucky.

On a plus point though, but myself and a friend of mine got pregnant whilst using metformin, so it really does help with fertility issues. (I have twins as a result)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-24-04, 04:07

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

My doctor started me out very slowly but I still got a very upset stomache for quite a while. I am now up to 750 mg 2x a day with no problems at all.