Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 16:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Easy, lemony stew (no veggies)

I posted it on my blog but here it is too. This is very easy to make!

This stew is so fabulous! I got the original recipe from a book with 300 stew recipes but I've made a few changes. The original calls for lamb but you could really use any meat one would roast with or stew.

2 pounds of meat, cut into large chunks (they'll shrink).
Juice of 1 lemon
2 egg yolks
salt & pepper
Fresh herbs (optional) -- I think thyme, rosemary, marjoram might all be good choices.
1/2 cup of wine (I used red, but white is what the original recipe calls for)
1-2 large cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
3 Tbl of onion minced (I used half of a largish onion, and only sliced it, didn't mince)
1/4 cup of oil

In a nice stewpot cook the meat in the oil until browned. About 10 minutes or so. Throw in the onion and the garlic and cook until those are softened. Dump in the wine and reduce over high heat for about 10 minutes. This is the point I would throw in those fresh herbs. I used thyme this last time (heh!).

Cover and cook at a simmer over lowish heat until the meat is fork tender, which will be at least an hour, maybe longer. If it starts looking dry in the pot add water as needed. Mine never got dry.

When the meat is nice and tender, mix together the egg and lemon juice and beat well with a fork. Take the simmering stew off the fire.

Now take a tablespoon or so of the hot broth from the stew and add it to the egg mixture. And beat it in well. Keep doing that until you've slowly raised the temperature of the eggs. Then lastly pour the egg mixture into the stew and stir well. If you do it right you'll get an amazingly thick broth that's creamy and ever so satisfying. If you heat up the eggs too fast, you'll get bits of scrambled eggs in the broth.

Salt & Pepper to taste.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 14:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

How much liquid is two eggs thickening? I made tis today and two yolks didn't do it, so I added two more and it still didn't get thick. I had about six cups of broth...what do you think?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 15:22
Experimenter

BF:

Whoa! Where'd all the broth come from? I believe the only liquid in this stew is from lemon juice and wine and whatever comes out of the meat.

I remember Alton Brown saying one egg can thicken about 1 cup of liquid, but I believe that was making it custard thick... which is pretty much what this recipe is, a loose savory custard sauce.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 16:27

BF:

Thanks. I guess I can't imagine cooking meat on top of the stove for that long without adding liquid otter than the wine.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Niiiiiiiiiiice. I'm guessing a greek heritage for this originally lamb and lemon stew. Avgolemono sauce if ever I saw it! Thyme is an *excellent* choice.

#6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-10, 18:06
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANCI B
Thanks. I guess I can't imagine cooking meat on top of the stove for that long without adding liquid otter than the wine.

You cover it and cook it, adding water as needed so it doesn't totally dry out. But 6 cups would be way too much. I think maybe there's about 1 cup of liquid or so.

It really is a great recipe! It's got to be one of the most filling stews ever. I can't eat much of it before I'm ready to burst.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 08:57

BF:

Well, I guess I will give this one another try now that I understand the directions.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-11, 22:39
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 216.1/186/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I know that this is an old thread, but wow, this recipe is excellent! This is going to be a new staple around here--everyone likes it!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 10:49
Made in England!

Plan: LC, HF
Stats: 290/269/143 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Thumbs up A Keeper

I made this in the slow cooker yesterday. Very nice!

I love the way the egg yolks thickened up the sauce, but next time I'll use a smaller lemon. Mine was a bit too citrusy. I also threw in a few dried herbs at the start, and added more fresh ones towards the end.

Thanks for the recipe, and thanks mellifera for bumping it.