Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-01, 21:56
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question What is ketosis test strips?

I am wondering what these ketosis test strips are. Anyone care to help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-01, 22:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Ketostix/strips are used to detect ketone bodies in your urine. If present, it indicates that you are in ketosis, i.e. metabolising fat instead of glucose to burn energy. Some low-carb plans, like Atkins, advise you to eat low-carb enought to reach this stage, and this is essentially the means by which you lose weight on such a plan. Ktostix are quite common in pharmacies with diabetic supplies, some have the glucose test as well, but they are more expensive and not really needed if you don't have blood sugar concerns.

Which plan are you following?

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 00:24
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Im doing the Atkins low-carb.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 08:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile ketone strips

hi Bob,

Yes, the ketone sticks detect and measure the presence of ketones in the urine.

By following a very lowcarb diet such as Atkins, once you've cleared out all the carbs from your system, your body will begin to break down it's fat stores into fatty acids. These fatty acids go to the liver, where they are made into ketones, which can be used by the muscles, the brain and other tissues and organs as a very efficient FUEL .. .. When there is an excess of ketones in the bloodstream, they will "spill over" into the urine ... and their presence can be measured with the ketone test strips.

However, the liver will also make ketones from the fatty acids of DIETARY fat as well ... so if you've eaten a rich, fatty lowcarb meal .... Also, the liver will make ketones from alcohol; in fact it will use alcohol in preference to fatty acids ... so your fat-burning will go on hold when you drink ... but you will still be producing ketones.

So, the test strips have no way to tell the source of the ketones, only that they are present. There are some folks too, who seem to always test negative or trace only ... yet they are burning fat and are in ketosis. It may be that their body is using all the ketones as fuel, so there's no "excess" to spill into the urine.

Bottom line, the ketone strips are a useful guide to see if you're on the right track, but they are not the be-all and end-all of lowcarbing. I've seen so many people get really hung up --- quit in frustration even -- because they can't get the sticks to "turn". Other folks follow Atkins just fine and never use the sticks even once. Best indicators for lowcarb success -- take your measurements with a tape and follow weight loss averages (because there WILL be up and down fluctuations) on the scales.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Hey there,

Yea, I have been on this Atkins diet for about 4 months and I havent used the strips once. I lost a total of about 36lbs. I started at 194 and now I'm at 159. I think thats pretty good for a 15 year old. - Thanks

Last edited by AfroBob : Sun, Jun-03-01 at 17:21.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 18:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by AfroBob
I think thats pretty good for a 15 year old. - Thanks [/B]

Indeed, pretty remarkable!

Note that for teenagers, it's the best time ever, as you your metabolism is at it's highest ever.

BUT, dieting for teenagers is not recommended unless it's supervised by a doctor. Have you or your parents consulted your doctor on your diet? This is extremely important at your age, as your dietary choices have the optimum impact on your growth. For example you height. A diet may make you lose weight, but may impact your height poential. Someone who has a genetic potential to be 6 foot+, may not reach that height if their diet lacks certain nutrients, or if their diet conflicts with their current medical condition.

I don't mean to scare, I just wanted to highlight the big picture, and that your growth is a more critical issue than your weight. For all I know your doctor might be quite happy with you dieting for a couple of months, but make sure you have adequate consultation with your doctor and parents.