Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-20, 05:50

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Have you tried Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener with erythritol? I got the the Golden & it tastes sort of like brown sugar, but no sugar in it.

This is my fav, especially after trying straight erythritol which I really don't like (dh is on IF and Keto).
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-20, 07:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Phooey, after posting earlier in this thread I remembered how much I loved cyclamates so decided I would order some liquid SugarTwin from Canada. And what did I find? That liquid SugarTwin was discontinued in May 2019. Now the only items available are the adultered SugarTwin packets where the FIRST ingredient is dextrose (aka sugar &#128577. Drat, that liquid SugarTwin (no ingredients but water and the cyclamates) was absolutely the best.

I know how you feel about the liquid SugarTwin . Luckily found a local store that had 4 bottles left on the shelf .. bought 'em all and squirreled away!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regarding the dextrose filler in individual packets of Sugar Twin .. true, but only about half what's in Splenda .

Splenda has 1g carb per packet (or per 2 tsp of the "spoonable" type) = 24g carbs per 24 packets (equivalent to 1 cup sweetener).

Cdn. Sugar Twin has 0.54g carb per packet (0.8g total packet weight minus 32% cyclamate, per label) ... so 24 packets (1 cup equivalent) = 12.9g carbs
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-20, 07:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Wanted to mention that it's NOT illegal to purchase Canadian SugarTwin for import to US, as long as it's just a small amount for personal use. It's only banned from being SOLD in the US. As long as you're not planning to sell your stash , you're fine.

I recall reading a few years back where a group of online buddies decided to save on shipping costs by having one person place a large order which they'd divide amongst themselves on arrival. Uh oh . The shipment was confiscated by US Customs .. a few individual boxes = personal use; a few cases of 24 boxes each = "obviously" intended for commercial sale
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-20, 11:40

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Coca Cola "Tab" popularity = 1963
Cyclamates banned in the USA = 1970
Soaring sugar prices = 1974 (Hint, hint)
Saccharin ban (almost) = 1979

That's what I thought, originally Cyclamates were legal in the U.S. I don't remember using them myself, although they were available back in the day. I would have been 16 when they were banned. I remember my Grandma saying they were the best ever and some speculation that they weren't really dangerous, the sugar industry just didn't want them sold.

"cyclamate is currently being considered for reapproval (in the U.S.) due to its safe use in other countries. Artificial sweeteners allow you to lower sugar in your diet, however, they should all be consumed in moderation."

If not for my leaky gut/brain fog I would still be using Splenda, that's my favorite. I don't care for Saccharin,Sweet 'N Low is just too bitter for me.

Last edited by dk_Swan : Fri, Feb-14-20 at 11:48.