Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-31-06, 12:19

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 226/226/150 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress:
Default New~ Looking for motivation and Support

Hi,
My name is Teresa. I have been reading Dr. Schwarzbein's books for a couple years now and I just know that her program can heal my body. At first I couldn't do it as I thought TSP was too resrictive but I am at a point in my life where I have a choice about doing something. I am 39 years old. I'm about 75 pounds over-weight. I am pre-diabetic, insulin resistant with burnt out adrenal glands. My insulin levels are very high but my blood sugar has managed to stay in the upper levels of normal. I had pcos with several hormonal issues, which I though I could fix with a hysterectomy (having my uterus removed) and two years later then having my ovaries removed. That only made my hormonal issues worse... My cholesteral and triglycerides are through the roof. My body aches all the time. I am so tired all the time. I have no energy to do anything. All I want to do is sleep. I am tired of being tired. I have 3 children (16, 14, & 10) and a husband who are tired of me being tired. I feel lazy and I can't stand it any more. I don't even care about the weight loss at this point, I just want my life back. I really want to change my life. That is why I like TSP.

I just love Dr. Schwarzbein's endrocrinological approach. It make sense to me. I just need the movtivation to get going and keep going. I know once I feel better I will keep it going but it's getting there...

I need ideas about what stuff has worked for others with her plan.

What people are eating for their meals. She has meal plans in her book but sometimes what real people are eating is helpful.

What kinds of exercise are people doing.

Anything motivational.

Any links to other resources out there that would be helpful.

Thanks all! I look forward to getting to know you all!

Teresa

Last edited by kaytzy : Sun, Dec-31-06 at 18:31.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 01:40
Registered Member

Plan: Swarzbein II
Stats: 160/154/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Teresa -- Schwarzbein isn't as popular as some of the others, because it doesn't guarantee weight loss, but I think it's very healthy. I've been on it (more or less) for a couple years, and here's my experience...

The first few days are tough; you may feel worse for a while, almost flu-like. My chiropractor says that's yeast die-off; I don't know if that's true, but just drink lots of water and hang in there. If it persists, you might up your carbs a little.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Going extreme low-carb can mess up your serotonin, which can aggravate depression. (Another reason to choose Schwarzbein over more extreme diets.)

After those first few days, I started feeling lots better; more energy. The first month, I lost NO weight, but I felt better AND my perimenopause symptoms lessened. (I'm 44.) Then, for the next few months, I lost about 3 lbs. a month -- which I considered a victory, since for the last 20 years I'd gained 3-5 lbs every year!

After losing eight lbs, my weight-loss stalled. Over time, I got more sloppy about the plan; I kinda stayed on, but cheated more and more. My periods got heavier and more painful. When I went to my OB, his options were: hysterectomy, Lupron (chemical menopause), or the Pill. I said, Forget that! I'll try eating right. As soon as I got serious about keeping the carbs down, my body got better.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are tough! I cheated too much, and now I'm back to serious carb-watching. And trying to psyche myself up to exercise: I haven't done it since I started low-carbing -- I wanted to see what the diet alone would do -- but I do think moderate exercise is good for in a lot of respects, and would probably help my weight loss.

A few food tips:
Stock up on nuts, esp. walnuts and almonds.
Avoid artificial sweeteners in large quantities. (Some people can tolerate them, but they induce sugar cravings for me.)
I haven't tried the Schwartzbein cookbook, but I like "Eating Stella Style." The pumpkin muffins are awesome!

Good for you, Teresa! Hang in there!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-07, 23:05

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Going extreme low-carb can mess up your serotonin, which can aggravate depression. (Another reason to choose Schwarzbein over more extreme diets.)

I'm pretty much doing thi SP. I have been just eating whole foods, nothing processed- and an occasional yogurt. I know I won't lose as fast as I could on Atkins- but I have Bipolar disorder and I just get too crazy with no carbs (pardon the pun ) Maybe it's because of the whole serotonin thing. But I do feel better without bread, pasta etc..
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-21-07, 19:20

Stats: 121/120/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Wink KittyJo

I like this program but haven't lost any weight yet. In fact I have gained, but I do feel better so I'm sticking to it. Tried the low-carb plan and just stayed too hungry, although I was able to lose weight. I am 5'2" and weigh at 121 with a BMI of over 30. I am 54 years old with onset perimenopause. Was first introduced to the TSP through the WomentoWomen site. Got on their plan and can definitely tell a difference with vitamin supplements and the SP. I'm just use to not having all this body fat around the middle so get discouraged when I don't see quicker results. Have been on the plan for nearly three months. Food allergies to milk and oatmeal. Also hypoglycemic but notice the symptoms not so noticeable using the SP.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 08:54

Stats: 136/135.5/125 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi KittyJo,
What womentowomen site are you referring to?

Thanks,
Carol
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 21:23

Plan: Schwarzbein II
Stats: 139/138/125 Female 60.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I find that exercise, just a 20-minute walk if that's all I can muster, gives me the boost I need to not feel that laziness you described. I've started looking at my exercise as being as important as anything else I do for myself, like brushing my teeth or taking a shower.

When I started the plan the first time, within 3 weeks I was sleeping much better and I felt like a million bucks. I maybe lost 4 lbs. but I was really more invested in getting my life back from the fog of feeling like crap. I credit this way of eating 100% for helping me get back on track.

The last few weeks I've been off the program and feeling LOUSY so, I know it's time to get serious again. My motivation comes from knowing that if I don't take care of myself, no one else is going to do it for me. It comes down to a choice. I can't be good to the ones I love if I can't take care of myself.

I, too, am looking for some meal and snack ideas from real people! My favorites are ricotta cheese with frozen blueberries (I used fruit a lot in the beginning to self-medicate the sugar cravings...and the previous posters are right, this way of eating does eliminate the sugar cravings. I don't even need to use willpower when I'm sticking to the program.), almonds and an apple, mozzarella cheese, grape tomatoes, and a few Ak-Mak crackers, and edamame (I buy them shelled frozen and pop them in the microwave).

My biggest challenges have been eating frequently enough, and adding some vegetable to every meal or snack. I know if I did those two things, staying on the program would be infinitely easier, but it takes a lot of planning that I have to just remind myself to do.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 10:06

Stats: 121/120/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Got to www.womentowomen.com
They have an "archives' site with lots of reading material that may be of help too.