Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 16:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have the Torani orange syrup and it tastes like probably what they flavor orange soda with. I was wishing I could throw some Cointrou (orange liquer) in my shake!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 17:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I have the Torani orange syrup and it tastes like probably what they flavor orange soda with. I was wishing I could throw some Cointrou (orange liquer) in my shake!

Man that sounds good. I have a bottle of Cointreau sitting right on my shelf next to the DaVinci syrups.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 06:24

Plan: Primal...ish
Stats: 158/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 43%

I think rum extract is my new best friend. I made kind of a rum truffle flavor with a teaspoon of Droste cocoa (2g carb), vanilla extract, and rum extract. Next time I'll add orange extract.

Question for everyone- why use syrups instead of extracts? I ordered the DaVinci chocolate syrup, and it seem to barely have any flavor. In fact, none of the syrups I've bought seems to have any detectable flavor when mixed with my unflavored whey powder.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 06:39

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsoda
Question for everyone- why use syrups instead of extracts? I ordered the DaVinci chocolate syrup, and it seem to barely have any flavor. In fact, none of the syrups I've bought seems to have any detectable flavor when mixed with my unflavored whey powder.

Well for myself - I do have some extracts that I use - I love almond extract, orange extract, just plain vanilla. These are all just ones I can buy in the supermarket. Some years back I experimented with buying other extracts online with some more unusual flavors but I didn't really care for any of them.

But I do like most DaVinci flavors, and they have some interesting ones I really enjoy - kahlua, peppermint paddy, amaretto, orange, eggnog...probably a few others that slip my mind now. I don't think the chocolate is one of their better flavors. I bought it once but it will probably not be a repeat purchase. I'll use cocoa powder. But the flavors I do enjoy mixed with the unflavored protein powder do taste pretty good to me.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 08:04

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
I think rum extract is my new best friend. I made kind of a rum truffle flavor with a teaspoon of Droste cocoa (2g carb), vanilla extract, and rum extract. Next time I'll add orange extract.

I'm using both. I ordered a bunch of extracts and flavor powders that have been very slow to arrive but will open a new range of possibilities next week. I've decided that the brand Lorann isn't so great; I've had to throw a few of theirs out. Their pistachio was disgusting and their coconut and eggnog are pretty weak.

What brand of rum extract is your new best friend?
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 08:18

Plan: Primal...ish
Stats: 158/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 43%

I agree Allison, I've tried the Lorann as well and they're awful. There's a chemical background taste to them. The rum I have is just the McCormick stuff from the grocery store. I have the Penzy's double strength vanilla which is divine. I was considering ordering from the Spice Barn website- any experience with them? Where are your new flavors coming from?
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 08:57
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
I'm using both. I ordered a bunch of extracts and flavor powders that have been very slow to arrive but will open a new range of possibilities next week. I've decided that the brand Lorann isn't so great; I've had to throw a few of theirs out. Their pistachio was disgusting and their coconut and eggnog are pretty weak.

What brand of rum extract is your new best friend?

Where are you getting your extracts from?

I've only got a few extracts, got a ton of syrup!
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 11:30

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I haven't tried them yet, so don't take this as a recommendation, but I ordered a ridiculous number of flavors here, at Barry Farms. My order has been slow because I ordered so many and they were out of some. When I called they were very pleasant and helpful. The brand is Spicery Shoppe. I chose them because they are all gluten free and all natural flavors. The Lorann flavors are artificial flavors. I couldn't figure out whether Spice Barn is gluten-free (I am very sensitive to gluten).

I also ordered a couple flavors of stevia here, at Vitacost. Also gluten-free.

I had a big revelation about flavoring these shakes when I tried Syntrax Nectar. Unfortunately, that's whey, which I don't tolerate well. If you can use whey, though, you should try a fruit flavor of Syntrax Nectar to see what I mean. They don't taste like milkshakes at all. They taste like fruit smoothies. Try the fuzzy navel or twisted cherry. Yum. You'll see then that these shakes don't always have to taste milky. I think we need citric acid powder, which Barry Farms also carries very cheap.

I plan to do this for much longer than 6 weeks. What I was doing before left me stuck in the same place for months (that was very low carb, high fat paleo). I've now dropped 2.5 pounds in 3 days, which is a huge relief. I was beginning to feel like I was doomed to stay at 284 for life.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-09, 08:19
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:

I'm using flavor extracts or essential oils from Faerie's Finest:

http://www.faeriesfinest.com/

Then I sweeten with a few drops of liquid splenda (Sweetzfree) as needed. I have some DaVinci and Torani sugarfree syrups, but I also find that it takes a lot for them to give flavor to a shake.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-09, 08:27
Experimenter

BF:

Peach syrup today. Very good!
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-09, 08:28

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi all,

I got my book yesterday and am now in the process of shopping for the necessary stuff

I went to a bodybuilder supply shop to get some protein powder and the dude in the shop, who was a bit forceful (must be all that testosterone) sold me this blended protein powder. He insisted that if i used plain protein powder, I'd be hungry an hour later, so I let myself be convinced. That's the brand he uses himself. They describe it as slow release, whatever that means

These are the ingredients in this protein mix

Protein Blend [Ultra Filtered Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Whey Protein Isolate (97%), Milk Protein Isolate, Egg White Albumin, Glutamine Peptides (Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein)], Omega Rich Fats [Coconut Oil (MCT’s), Sunflower Oil (CLA), Flax Seed Oil Powder (Freeze Dried), Lecithin], Fibre Complex [Apple Pectin, Oat Fibre, Chickory Root (Inulin)], D-Pinitol, Aminogen® (Protease I, Protease II), Amylase, Lactase, Lipase, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Natural and Artificial Flavour.

It has 2g of effective carbs per scoop and 30g of protein, so I believe it fits the criteria. I don't think the extra stuff would be a problem. What do you guys think?

Here's the link to the product in case anyone wants to know more : http://www.precisionsupplements.ca/decadent.php?id=8

Last edited by Angeline : Sat, Oct-03-09 at 09:12.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-09, 07:46
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, casein is supposed to be digest slower than whey however it's the component of milk that many people have food intolerances too. It's also sticky as hell. I had some pure casein once and if it comes into contact with water it turns into glue. Maybe they've processed it so it doesn't do that.

I find I react to whey though too. Makes me all snotted up.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-09, 07:47
Experimenter

BF:

Oh, I tried a pure caramel shake and it was amazigood! I absolutely love the flavors of caramel and butterscotch, so I was pleased the Torani syrup did such a good job with that.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-09, 09:14

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Hi all,

Hi Angeline!

Quote:
I went to a bodybuilder supply shop to get some protein powder and the dude in the shop, who was a bit forceful (must be all that testosterone) sold me this blended protein powder. He insisted that if i used plain protein powder, I'd be hungry an hour later, so I let myself be convinced. That's the brand he uses himself. They describe it as slow release, whatever that means

Well first up, if you've read any of the threads about the 6week cure you will repeatedly have seen people saying (in the first two weeks): "I'm starrrvinggg!!" So this is no small thing. There's been some discussion about the whey spiking blood sugar for some (which will certainly make you hungry). And of course adding the fat, heavy cream etc is supposed to help. But I was seriously hungry til like the 10th day. And frankly, the shakes were higher calorie than we necessarily eat at one go. So dealing with hunger - good idea.

Quote:
These are the ingredients in this protein mix

Protein Blend [Ultra Filtered Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Whey Protein Isolate (97%), Milk Protein Isolate, Egg White Albumin, Glutamine Peptides (Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein)], Omega Rich Fats [Coconut Oil (MCT’s), Sunflower Oil (CLA), Flax Seed Oil Powder (Freeze Dried), Lecithin], Fibre Complex [Apple Pectin, Oat Fibre, Chickory Root (Inulin)], D-Pinitol, Aminogen® (Protease I, Protease II), Amylase, Lactase, Lipase, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Natural and Artificial Flavour.

It has 2g of effective carbs per scoop and 30g of protein, so I believe it fits the criteria. I don't think the extra stuff would be a problem. What do you guys think?

Here's the link to the product in case anyone wants to know more : http://www.precisionsupplements.ca/decadent.php?id=8

See, I ended up with Jay Robb cause it was the only one with Stevia. And when I did pick up a brand with Splenda (Sucralose like you have here), it was so sickly sweet we used it once and put it away for emergencies.

I clicked on the link you provided and noticed a few things - I can't say if they're good or bad - just differences between your protein powder and mine (and a bunch I've seen):
1. Calories are 170 per scoop. Mine is at 110 per scoop.
Both the calories and the high protein (yours is at 30g per scoop) suggests to me you may want less scoops than suggested in the book. I think Eades' always thinks around 17g protein per scoop.

2. Fat - 4g. Most of the protein shakes I considered had 0. This is partly why Eades prescribes adding heavy cream to the shakes. I'm not sure you want to- or how much.

3. I didn't see a list of the BCAA's - but I bet you've got some hefty Leucine in there. Is it pictured on the container? i didn't see them listed on the website. They're in whey protein.

The mixture of things - egg whites and whey, flax etc really might make this more easy for you. It'll be interesting to hear how things go for you.

Since I found this on their site - just sharing - Special Features of Protein Stack:
• Time release protein blend derived from 7 high quality sources
• Features 30 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fat per serving (40g)
• Long duration proteins: Micellar Casein, Calcium Caseinate
• Medium duration proteins: Egg White Albumin, Milk Protein Isolate
• Short duration proteins: Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate and Glutamine Peptides
• Includes Omega Rich Fats and a Fibre Complex to sustain protein availability
• Enzyme blend aids the digestion of protein, fat, carbs and lactose
• Enhances muscle size by maximizing protein availability to the muscles throughout the day

Good luck Angeline! And come join us on the 6week cure thread!

sarah
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-09, 12:40

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks! I'll let you guys know how it goes. Of course hunger tends to be a personal thing, as I've seen in this thread (yup read all of it), so I'd have to really compare with a regular shake to be certain, but we shall see. I still need to procure some stuff, but I'd like to start the shakes soon.