Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 12:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Atkins Man: And Now, The Slump"

Atkins Man: And Now, The Slump

POSTED: 3:07 p.m. EST October 29, 2003
UPDATED: 9:32 a.m. EST October 30, 2003

link to article

As much as we want to call this low-carb diet a lifestyle, it's hard to get away from the fact that it is still a diet. And as diets go, nearly everyone goes through "The Slump." That's when you just can't get over a hump, no matter how hard you work.

For my Atkins man, who has been on the low-carb diet for more than a year, it is the last 5 pounds that he just can't shed. I think he looks great, but all he sees are those last 5 pounds.

He's tried everything: Working out more, the torturous spin class at the gym, and cutting those carbs to nearly zero. I've heard from several readers on this topic. Some say simple changes like using Splenda instead of other sweeteners can do the trick. Others suggest cutting the caffeine (the Atkins man is an avid coffee drinker.) My mom, ever the well of advice, swears by "just walking, honey."

As for me, I've been on and off the diet (a very bad thing to do ... I did not heed the warnings of readers who said I would blow up like a balloon. So far, no balloon in sight, but I did gain 8 pounds in about a month!). OK, I'm not perfect, let's get that out of the way right now.

But as of last week I'm back on. Gone (for now) are the carb-free chocolate bars. Gone are the brand-new wonderful carb-free Klondike ice cream bars ... and don't even talk to me about my favorite low(ish) carb treat, blueberries.

I did make something wonderful and easy for lunch, however:

Pecan Encrusted Chicken

Chicken breasts or strips
Chopped pecans (you may want to grind up already-chopped nuts)
3 egg whites

Dip chicken in egg whites, then in pecans. Fry in olive oil or butter. Yum!

Which brings me to my Atkins man's favorite topic: dessert!

He is always saying the world will one day wake up to the Atkins way of life, and then the diet will be easier for everyone. His day is here. All he talks about is the wonderful new low-carb ice creams we found in our grocer's freezer. Chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, and with a few berries and nuts on top, you will never know the difference.

My Atkins man eats it every day, and tops it off with Cool Whip (Hm. Could that be why he can't lose the last five?)

In my cheatin' days, I tried those ice creams too and can wholeheartedly say they are wonderful.

This column contains the thoughts and ponderings of Michele and her alone. The great Web site and the people behind it may or may not agree with her. She doesn't take it personally. As always, Michele is not a doctor and can't give any medical advice when it comes to the Atkins diet. But she loves to read your e-mails (mcohen~hearst.com), and promises to try her best to write back.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 21:07
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Progress: 23%
Default the last five pounds

Just checking....has he cut his calorie intake as well as his carbs? You can still put on weight even if you aren't eating carbs ....tough but NOT impossible!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 09:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

I've been thoroughly unimpressed by the "Atkins Man" columns. This forum contains much more relevant, interesting and useful info than any of those columns have. "Atkins Man" (and "Atkins Wife" who apparently actually writes the column) need to read the Atkins book and get with the program instead of whining all the time. IMHO.