Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 18:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Investigative Reports - IR: Dieting Wars - Monday, June 24th, 10:00 pm - 11:00 PM

Investigative Reports
IR: Dieting Wars
Monday , June 24 10:00 PM-11:00 PM

A look at the weight loss gurus who are battling it out for their share of the fat wallets of the overweight. Host Bill Kurtis examines the conflicting diet plans of Dr. Robert Atkins, Dr. Dean Ornish, and even actress Suzanne Somers. Plus, we get to the bottom of such "magic pills" as Leptin and Phen Fen. NR

This is the A & E Channel
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 18:46

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Oh darn that looks like it'll be really interesting, is it a TV program? I would watch that for sure!
I wonder if it will be written up on the web at all?

Let us know what goes down Ok
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 18:51

BF:

Jenny I suspect it will be posted on their site...here is the link:

http://www.aande.com/

Bonnie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 18:55

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Neat as thanks a bunch.
I'll be sure to check it out after the show
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 00:49
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Ugh, what a horrible show, but I didn't expect much in the first place. They made Atkins look horrible in the USDA debate, I'd really like to see the debate in its entirety. Anybody know where one can find a copy of the transcript?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 05:59
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/249.6/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Here is the low carb summery of the show.

They made it seem as if Atkins was a no carbohydrate program, and they didn't show anyone who was maintaining it. There was a guy eating greasy meat and he did have a veggie side dish but you couldn't really tell what was in it. No mention of the supplements and exercise Atkins recommends. Most common complaints are of constipation and bad breath.

The USDA debate (I know I've read a transcript somewhere...if it's the same one I'm thinking of.) talked about research projects and funding. Atkins pointed out that he didn't have any government funding to assist him, the other side said with so many books in print he should be able to fund his own and Atkins says research is coming soon. The other side says we've been waiting 30 years where is the proof? Most people do research he said and then wrote the book.

At the very end of the program they brought up Dr. Atkin's recent heart problems and insinuated that it was caused by his diet.

As an aside, I don't know much about Dean Ornish's plan but the way it was described sounds like a death wish--no fat, low protein, you can eat fish if you don't have heart disease? Sounds like a slow, painful death. Hasn't this guy heard about essential fatty acids? Those people that can stick to such an awful plan must lose a lot of lean muscle mass due to lack of protein. But perhaps he was equally misrepresented on the program.

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 06:09

BF:

The one statement that irked me the worst was when it was suggested "yes, all these diets work because you are lowering calories"...seems to me they tried to cram too many diet gurus into one show without focasing on folks who had actually been successful long term... guess it is more newsworthyif they can make these diets seem very controversial with exaggerated headlines catches a large viewer audience..

Bonnie
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 10:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Well, I was mildly upset that I forgot to tape the show, but it's probably just as well. I get so angry when I see articles and shows which intentionally misrepresent the LC WOE! If they had any real evidence that LC isn't the healthy WOE it is, they'd make sure everyone knew it.

Elihnig, I have heard Dean Ornish describe his diet several times, and you are so right; it sounds like the way you'd make someone eat if you wanted to torture them! I can't believe that people actually think that a diet that starves the body of essential amino acids and fatty acids and leaves them weak and hungry can be the healthy alternative.

Karla
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 11:21

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFrumble
Ugh, what a horrible show, but I didn't expect much in the first place. They made Atkins look horrible in the USDA debate, I'd really like to see the debate in its entirety. Anybody know where one can find a copy of the transcript?

USDA Great Nutrition Debate transcript