Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 12:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 227/178/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 117%
Question Heavy Squats: Good Substitutes ?

Hello everyone - To give you a little background, I currently work out in my home using free weights and a sturdy bench, a set of barbells - mainly used for deadlifts), and Power Blocks (adjustable dumbbells that I do the majority of my lifting with). Squats are an excellent exercise for the whole body, & I've been thinking about getting a squat rack & set of Olympic weights. (I've just gotta figure where put all this stuff ! I do like the convenience and speed associated with working out at home, rather than a gym though.) - - I travel quite a bit (usually by car, sometimes have to fly) and I wonder what exercises that you've found to substitute for heavy squat work ? When going by car (actually an SUV) I have enough room for my folding portable bench & the Power Blocks. - - Also, I've done 'Hindu Squats' before. In these one squats while also swinging their arms when rising from the bottom position. Do 100 and more of these and you definitely feel it ! Excellent intense cardio exercise and they really burn your legs - - but I don't know how & in what way they compare in terms of training effect to heavy squats. - - - Any suggestions you may offer on squat work, especially when on the road, would be appreciated. Thank you, - - -

Last edited by OutdoorGuy : Wed, Jun-04-08 at 12:34.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 14:55

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Sprinting is good to build legs.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 16:51

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

Have you tried goblet squats?

Depending on what size dumbbell you could hold would determine the squat strength - but even if you couldn't hold a BIGGUN, it'd be better than nothing until you could do regular bar squats.

Dig up a video of them on youtube.com

Julia
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 17:46

BF:

Thanks Ghoulia - I'll have to check those out. My Power Blocks will go to 90 lbs each.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 18:16

Cool! that'll work!

I've also seen peeps doing dumbbell squats just holding the dumbbells at their sides, but you gotta watch your form.

The goblet squats are great because they MAKE you have good form.

I've also seen dumbbell squats where the person seems to hold them on their shoulders (like making the touchdown pose but with your hands holding the dumbbells on your shoulders) but I have NO CLUE what the heck it's called.

Good luck!!!

Julia
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 20:45

BF:
Thumbs up

Hi Julia - Maybe I'll try to pre-exhaust myself with 50-100 of the body weight Hindu Squats and follow immediately with those Goblet or 'dumbbell on the shoulder squats'. - - Hmmm - I also forgot about my weighted vest - it doesn't take up too much room and I can add a bit more than an extra hundred pounds there, so it looks like I'll be set for awhile. Thanks again, - - Rob

Last edited by OutdoorGuy : Wed, Jun-04-08 at 20:54.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 22:30

Ooooh! Thanks for the reminder of the weighted vest - I bought one for myself not too long ago but haven't been able to use it much because of the weather (was trying to make going for walks on the weekends a little more effective than just my bodyweight) cuz it's been hot and that thing is HUGE.

ANYWAY, I was all guilty because I'm going to mom's house this weekend and >gasp< will miss a training day at the gym on Saturday. But no I won't! I'll bring that blasted vest instead.

I can just lift my mom for my deadlifts.....

Those hindu squats look painful on the knees! Oooogie!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 22:51

BF:

Actually the Hindu Squats aren't too bad on the knees since you go down low and the action is focused from the hamstrings w/ some glute action in there too. Sometimes folks (usually us guys) load up regular squats too heavy and can only go down part way so the pressure is placed on the knees. (My brother was guilty of doing that and he has knee problems now. He can't do Hindu Squats & stays away from squat movements in general.) It also helps some people if they put a board under their heels, at least when starting out with the Hindu Squats. Seems to take a little pressure off the knees till you become used to it. But, I'm just going to use body weight for the Hindu Squats and then immediately do my regular squats with the vest and dumbbells. - -Have fun with your weight vest this weekend. - - Rob
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 23:04

BF:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Sprinting is good to build legs.

Thanks for the suggestion Martin. I do sprints as part of my high intensity cardio work. Regards, - - Rob
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 14:49

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Two things we used to do.
Bulgarian split squats. http://www.fullfitness.net/routines...plit_squat.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlodHgCipk

Duck deadlifts - conventional deadlift style except the heels are almost touching and the toes point out slightly. (Emphasis is on the quads).
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 15:07

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

when weight availability is an issue - go to one working leg rather than two.
pistols, 1-leg squats, step ups, heavy lunges. it keeps the heavy load with less external weight required.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 17:31

BF:
Thumbs up

Thank you everyone for some excellent ideas. - - In addition to looking at alternatives to heavy squats because of equipment & convenience reasons, I'm also taking a closer look at some of my training strategies. - - I'm very interested in outdoor activities including wilderness backpacking, fishing, etc - & Search And Rescue work. Some of the exercises that have been suggested here may actually have greater functional benefits for me personally than just doing relatively low rep heavy squats. The fitness tests for wildland firefighters who are smokejumpers (guys who parachute into forest fires & the standards which I've used to gauge myself) include timed marches with a 110 lb pack - - the load simulates the gear they have to carry up and down a mountain. I'm looking for a combination of endurance, strength, and good balance. A little less absolute weight with higher reps could help with muscular endurance. One leg type squats could help with balance - not a bad thing on the side of a mountain over rough & rocky ground. All the best, - - Rob
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: 85 grams of carbs a day
Stats: 169/169/155 Male 6'2"
BF:I am still chubby
Progress: 0%

Hey my friend, buy a couple of dumbells of 25 or 40 lbs. each and try to do dumbell squats. I have a couple of 25 lbs. dumbells and what i do is i do like 2 sets of 20 reps of dumbell squats and 2 sets of 15 reps of calf-raise.

Here is a picture of how to do dumbell-squats at home:

Instructions

Stand with dumbbells grasped to sides.

Descend until thighs are just past parallel to floor. Extend knees and hips until legs are straight. Return and repeat.

informer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorGuy
Hello everyone - To give you a little background, I currently work out in my home using free weights and a sturdy bench, a set of barbells - mainly used for deadlifts), and Power Blocks (adjustable dumbbells that I do the majority of my lifting with). Squats are an excellent exercise for the whole body, & I've been thinking about getting a squat rack & set of Olympic weights. (I've just gotta figure where put all this stuff ! I do like the convenience and speed associated with working out at home, rather than a gym though.) - - I travel quite a bit (usually by car, sometimes have to fly) and I wonder what exercises that you've found to substitute for heavy squat work ? When going by car (actually an SUV) I have enough room for my folding portable bench & the Power Blocks. - - Also, I've done 'Hindu Squats' before. In these one squats while also swinging their arms when rising from the bottom position. Do 100 and more of these and you definitely feel it ! Excellent intense cardio exercise and they really burn your legs - - but I don't know how & in what way they compare in terms of training effect to heavy squats. - - - Any suggestions you may offer on squat work, especially when on the road, would be appreciated. Thank you, - - -
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 11:51

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 168/168/147 Male 5'8"
BF:14.9% current bf
Progress: 0%

Hi,

New guy here making my first post.

I work out from home with minimal equipment. For your position I would suggest either car pushing, yes, get out of your car and shove it, or one legged squats (pistols), these will burn your legs like few other exercises can. There is also a balance and co-ordination aspect to the pistols so it does take practice.

If you are spending a lot of time on the road, I would recommend the book Never Gymless by Ross Enamait. You can purchase it for a nominal amount at his website (www.rosstraining.com). Have a look around his site and I would highly recommend that you purchase the book that I mentioned.

Mike.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 15:21

Plan: Semi LC
Stats: 188/175/169 Female 67.5 in.
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorGuy
I'm very interested in outdoor activities ..... I'm looking for a combination of endurance, strength, and good balance. A little less absolute weight with higher reps could help with muscular endurance. One leg type squats could help with balance - not a bad thing on the side of a mountain over rough & rocky ground. All the best, - - Rob
Hi there,
Here is a portable training system I use with my personal training clients to develop their core strength, balance, overall strength and endurance. You can make up a crazy hard workout routine with the suspension training straps. Both sites showcase the movements and adaptability of suspension training.

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/page...127/PROD/TSPABX

http://www.sportsconditioning.ca/web/TRX-System.htm