Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 10:11

Plan: Primal
Stats: 132/125/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Question - Distance Running and VLC

Hey all!

This question is for distance runners or daily runners.

I am only on week 2 of very low carb Primal style eating, and looking to even out my blood sugars and drop some weight in the process. However I am also in the middle of marathon training and have found that, at least right now, my body feels so lethargic when I run now, which I assume is due to lack of carb consumption.

My question is, does this pass as your body adjusts to using alternate fuel sources? Will my energy at least somewhat return? Also, how do YOU fuel before/*during (particularly interested in this)/after a long run?

Prior to LCing I could go out and do 10-12 miles easy enough, but this week I struggle to put in 4-5 miles and at a significantly slower pace. It's worth it to me to LC and take care of my body and weight, but I would love to know that I can continue progressing in the sport I love.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! Please share!
Tangie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 10:22

BF:

Oops another question too - I've been using energy chews (they are an organic and gluten-free/dairy-free and really work well) prior to changing to low carb. Will it throw me out of ketosis (generally speaking) to use these through long runs? Am I better off to just cheat and eat an apple and peanut butter or something (even though I'm momentarily off fruit for this induction period) prior to a run?

OK sorry, that's all. Want to get it straight so I don't cause my body more harm than good.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 08:01

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

For the first 3 weeks I was running on dead legs, my *long runs* ended up not being so long because I was just so tired on my feet. I ended up adding in a 10g carb all-fruit leather pre-run for a few weeks. As my miles increased I found that around mile 6 I needed GU/chomps/extreme beans/etc. I just can't go the distance without the carbs. I still can't. I only long run 1x a week and I've definately lost a lot of weight on LC and continued to run long distance. Endurance training is different than the normal, low/mod exercise that a lot of people do, so I think our carb needs are different too. I run 4-5 days a week. On rest days I eat fewer carbs. I have followed the OWL chart for Atkins without a problem....Oh, and when I finish a race I eat what they have fruit-wise...oranges, bananas, whatever.

All this said. My endurance is significantly better than it was pre-LC. I can run longer and faster. Since adding LC I feel better and recover faster.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 12:03

BF:

Tara,

Thanks for your response! It really helps and seems like good common sense, I've just been so obsessed with following induction to the letter, but realizing that 20g of carbs per day is not going to carry me through my harder workouts, and I too need fuel as the miles start adding up mid-run so it's good to know you've had success and still been able to fuel and make it work. Great job on your weight loss!

THANKS AGAIN!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 20:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

I have been working on my 12 th week of Atkins.

I noticed the first 2-4 weeks, my exercise endurance and performance was down. Now -- I actually am performing at a higher level than before. Keep at it. I really believe your body will adjust. No real reason to alter your diet.

Just keep at it.

Mike