Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 19:55

Plan: 1972 Atkins Lifestyle
Stats: 168/159/140 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:35%/12%/23%
Progress: 32%
Default Yet another cardio question. Short interval vs long intense runs?

Once again, this question is started by someone at the gym giving me a suggestion......

On either the tread mill or an elliptical....
I was told that 2 minutes at high intensity and 2 minutes at low intensity/intervals for 30 minutes is better than me running like a demon for one solid hour.

Any opinions here?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 21:13

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I think that's pretty well accepted - it's in the recovery that you gain the benefit. But a lot of runners/exercisers don't do this becaue it's easier just to stick to one pace and maybe more pleasant. If you're not interested, stick to what you'll do. There should be settings on the machine so you don't have to think about it too much. I am starting interval training these days - it also help with speed.

Janine
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 04:54

Plan: 1972 Atkins Lifestyle
Stats: 168/159/140 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:35%/12%/23%
Progress: 32%

Janine, thanks for this response and the other response on the other thread! I think that the real truth is that my workouts are just pleasant. Even though I work hard, it's just what I am used to. You're comment about belly fat really makes sense....even though I don't want it to.

So guess I need to change my evil ways.

MANY THANKS-Marie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 07:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKatasonov
Janine, thanks for this response and the other response on the other thread! I think that the real truth is that my workouts are just pleasant. Even though I work hard, it's just what I am used to. You're comment about belly fat really makes sense....even though I don't want it to.

So guess I need to change my evil ways.

MANY THANKS-Marie

I fell into the trap, too. In May, on a lark, I signed up for a ten-mile race. I thought I could get to mile six and then walk the rest of the way. I made it the whole way running without much problem. It was a huge accomplishment for me, but I realized with the little training I'd done, maybe running for 2 hours straight was not actually very impressive in terms of athleticism. But it sure felt good!

Janine