Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 19:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default DoIhavePrediabetes.org

Hopefully I copied down this website correctly.

DoIhavePrediabetes.org

Shocker to see ad onTV promoting knowing your prediabetes status. Just take an online test. 1/3 adults have prediabetes.

(Wonder how many have undiagnosed diabetes?) 🤔

It specifically says this IS TREATABLE.

REMARKABLE CHANGE IN POSITION.

I have not tested the link yet...please list correction if I do not.

After a brief look-see, basically an advertisement for local gyms and support centers. The usual exercise more and drop a few pounds angle. Very disappointing

"Can I join the National Diabetes Prevention Program lifestyle change program?

Your doctor can tell you if you can. It’s based on your body mass index (which is based on your height and weight), your blood sugar levels (shown by a blood test), your age (you must be 18 or older), and whether you have a history of gestational diabetes (you got diabetes when you were pregnant). You may also join based on results from the online risk test.

Do I have to pay for the National Diabetes Prevention Program?

Your insurance or employer may help pay for the program. For some people, there may be a cost. Check with your insurance or employer to see if they can cover the cost."

Taking the test next.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Jan-01-22 at 19:31.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 19:39

BF:

Test results......no questions about diet. NONE. NO questions about any tests from doctors office.

8 / 10
You are at
HIGH RISK AND ARE LIKELY TO HAVE PREDIABETES
Based on these results, you’re likely to have prediabetes and are at high risk for type 2 diabetes. Only your doctor can diagnose diabetes or prediabetes. Don’t wait for symptoms—take action now. Print or email a copy of your results to yourself, bring them to your doctor and ask for a simple blood test to confirm them. Then work with your doctor on a plan to take action now.

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?
Remember that with early diagnosis, prediabetes can often be reversed. It’s important to consult your doctor before taking any next steps. If you are diagnosed with prediabetes, we strongly suggest that you join a CDC-recognized National Diabetes Prevention Program, which is a scientifically proven way to reverse prediabetes. *During COVID-19, many in-person programs are offering remote options. Contact locations for more information.

Find a National Diabetes Prevention Program Near You......
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 19:40

BF:

Lol, my tests at doctor's office was concerning 1.5 years ago. She noted the elevated a1c and said no more.

Thank goodness for this forum.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 19:46

BF:

Reran test with two changes. Scored 5/10 and still told high risk.

Followed link for local support and got:

"Recognized Lifestyle Change Program
Thank you for your interest in the National Diabetes Prevention Program’s Diabetes Prevention Recognition Program (DPRP). This page has been moved, please go to https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/preven...-a-program.html for the new Find a Program page.

If you have questions, please contact us through the National DPP Customer Service Center (National DPP CSC) and initiate a National DPP Technical Assistance Request.

If you have not previously registered with the National DPP CSC, you will need to register on a one-time basis to submit National DPP Technical Assistance Inquiries. To register with the National DPP Customer Service Center, please go to NationalDPPCSC.cdc.gov, select “Login” and then “Register.” To request technical assistance, please sign in and then select “Contact Us/Contact Support.”

landing page site image
Get Email Updates"

Seems a bit misleading. Or is in its infancy despite 2019 copyright date.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-22, 05:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The YMCA's offered the National Diabetes Prevention program soon after it was developed, maybe about 5 years ago. I dug down into the CDC website to check the diet then...count your carbs, move more. They have some success with people coming from a highly processed foods, soda and chips diet, they lose a few pounds because it is lower in carbs and the exercise comes with community support. I sent the regional Y program leader Duke's low carb program, and she had no interest in very low carb plans, even with my offer of having a diabetes expert give a talk. Have to follow the CDC guidelines, blah, blah... This test might at least shake up the folks with BMIs over 25, that being overweight does have health risks. The various studies showing how much weight has been gained during the pandemic, especially in children is shocking. All the covid 19 jokes normalize eating junk food and gaining weight.

YMCA Triangle Diabetes Program:
https://www.ymcatriangle.org/progra...vention-program. Their qualification sheet dated 2012.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-02-22 at 10:57.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-02-22, 18:26

BF:

Interesting, Janet.

Disappointing that only CDC protocol is the basis for program.

Yes, the obesity level in children has been alarming for years and the stay at home orders has added more lardage.

Given a more effective diet, that did not need to happen. My teens are very thin by today's standards. Neither can pinch an inch. Of course,I didn't encourage making cookies, pies, cakes and pastries during lockdown. And my kids are free to get outside to feed the farm animals and do basic chores. I'm thankful for having a safe place for my family.

That ad played 5-6 times over a few hours on one station. Maybe it will help some.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-22, 05:26

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

It is my understanding that if businesses do not follow the dietary regulations of the CDC they are in danger of losing their licenses.
They cannot change their policies or education
BIG BROTHER controls us all
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-22, 11:16

BF:

I suspect you are right. Too many are trapped in that mindset of loosing license......so how do the Dr Fung and Dr Berry buck the system? I'm honestly interested. We need more to see the light.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-22, 04:01

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I suspect you are right. Too many are trapped in that mindset of loosing license......so how do the Dr Fung and Dr Berry buck the system? I'm honestly interested. We need more to see the light.

I suspect the good doctors don't have federal funding for their research

When you rely on federal funding you play by federal rules or lose your funding
It's always about money
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-22, 08:43

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Ok, I was lured into this with some free time on my hands, so I took the test. I'm at low risk. The cutoff is between 4/5 for low/high. When I put in my previous symptoms from before changing my lifestyle, I was a "5," or high risk. My age group contributes to this and the fact that so many people can be characterized as pre-diabetic that the test results are more likely to provide this result. The website is also hosted and sponsored by the Ad Council with logos for the AMA and CDC. It's business driven, and if I were confident that people who discover that their risk is "high" were treated in a way to prevent, diminish or remove their symptoms, I would be supportive. Given who is sponsoring this, named and unnamed, it is likely to send people down the rabbit hole of ineffective diabetes treatment for the rest of their lives. Playing with this test a little, the danger is that many people under the age of 40 can be living a lifestyle that will lead to T2D, but do not currently know it until it's too late. Indicating that I was inactive with no regular exercise gives me a "3," or low risk; yet, I could be a perfect candidate to develop pre-diabetes in just a few years. No thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-22, 19:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It is controllable, even possibly preventable. But not by those methods!