Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-20, 20:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yummmmmmmmm!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-20, 04:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Love the idea. Recipe?

And what nice kitties!
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-20, 05:12

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Recipe for these jigglers was:

- 1/2 tbsp unflavored gelatin, softened in a couple tbsp of room temp water
- 3/4 cup boiling water (actually doesn’t have to quite boil. I heat to 190 degrees in my electric kettle)
- 1 scoop Dr. Berg orange electrolyte powder
- teeny splash orange extract
- 1 tbsp heavy cream (optional)

Add hot water to the softened gelatin and stir until the gelatin has all dissolved. Stir in the electrolyte powder, orange extract, cream if desired. Electrolyte powder contains stevia so this sweetens it.

I then pour into molds (or just a pan or dish) and put into fridge to set. When my granddaughter was over yesterday we made some without the heavy cream but she had it in a dish like jello topped with freshly whipped cream 😉
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 10:01

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Started another grass fed beef bone broth in the 7 quart crock pot (48 hours):

bones
water
apple cider vinegar
salt
pepper
thyme
sage
ginger powder
onions
garlic

#80   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 13:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Cute kitties, and creamsicle jiggers too.
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-22, 00:50

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

For those that take collagen powder, what is your brand? I just started taking "purely inspired" powder. I've only been taking one dose per day; I'm wondering if I should increase to see more benefits. Anyone double their dosage and see benefits from doing so?
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-22, 14:06

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
For those that take collagen powder, what is your brand? I just started taking "purely inspired" powder. I've only been taking one dose per day; I'm wondering if I should increase to see more benefits. Anyone double their dosage and see benefits from doing so?
How much is one dose and how much collagen does it contain.

It may not be of much use to you as I'm in the UK and use a brand produced here, but, as a comparison, I take two tablespoons daily of Hunter & Gather's Collagen Peptides Bovine Protein Powder which contains 13,000mg of collagen per serving.
Quote:
We recommend that between and 10g to 30g daily is taken daily. 2 standard tablespoons = 13g per serving.
They also do a Marine Collagen Peptides Protein Powder with 10,000mg of collagen per serving, but I much prefer the taste and higher collagen content of the bovine.
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-22, 21:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
How much is one dose and how much collagen does it contain.

It may not be of much use to you as I'm in the UK and use a brand produced here, but, as a comparison, I take two tablespoons daily of Hunter & Gather's Collagen Peptides Bovine Protein Powder which contains 13,000mg of collagen per serving.
They also do a Marine Collagen Peptides Protein Powder with 10,000mg of collagen per serving, but I much prefer the taste and higher collagen content of the bovine.

18g collagen per scoop
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 05:47

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
18g collagen per scoop

Everything I've read suggests between 2.5 to 15 grams per day as a safe amount to take. Though it depends on what you are taking it for. For example, in this study, a dose of 40mg proved to be safe and effective.

Don't forget that it may also take a while to see the benefits.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 07:21
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I'd think you'd get sick to your stomach before you could consume enough collagen powder to make it "dangerous", unless there's something weird/wrong with the product. Imagine how much collagen you'd be getting naturally if a majority of your diet was pork ribs, chicken wings, ground meats, wieners, sausages, homemade broths, canned whole fish, ham hocks, and cheaper cuts of beef that are tough. I bet there are many lower-budget LCers and/or carnivores who eat exactly like this*.

You could probably hedge your bets by buying a couple of different types of collagen powder, if you're concerned. Both of my brands are grass-fed cattle based, but that brand in the link Demi shared is chicken-based.

*(I wish there was a reasonably-reliable source to put some numbers for collagen in those foods, but a search just pumps out a bunch of crap click-bait listicles. )
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-22, 00:01

BF:

I appreciate you taking the time to provide helpful replies Demi and Kristine.
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-23, 09:52

BF:

An alternative to collagen is Biosil.

Collagen is an oxalate precursor and if an oxalate overload is making a person sick, collagen might be a problem.

I loved how it handles my painful thumbs but that might be oxalate induced in the first place. So I switched to silicon as a mineral needed and it's working well.

Option for bone health, too.
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-23, 13:06

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Collagen was the only thing that has helped the Achilles tendonitis that I had for years, precluding me doing the kind of walking I was used to for exercise. It was quite depressing as the orthopod doc said, "Yes, theres a problem seen on xray but most people with this don't even have pain.". (I eventually had had surgery to strengthen the tendon on the other ankle, not something I was eager to do again.)

I have since read that some sports programs are giving it to their athletes with ligament or tendon injuries to help them heal. Wish I'd known about this years back.

I have recently found that brand name makes a big difference in how it tastes. Orgain tastes terrible. Two other brands I've tried since then have been tasteless. (I actually didn't believe the Amazon reviews until I tried them myself.)

I really like Sports Research Dark Chocolate too in heated Fairlife milk for a high protein satisfying drink.
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-23, 00:40

BF:

For me, oxalates are fixing so many of my issues that I figure I have had enough collagen for a while. I'm letting it drop out of the rotation. and my thumbs still feel better because perhaps it is a different kind of problem than before.

Food in the 21st century is a challenge!
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-23, 09:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
An alternative to collagen is Biosil.

Collagen is an oxalate precursor and if an oxalate overload is making a person sick, collagen might be a problem.

I loved how it handles my painful thumbs but that might be oxalate induced in the first place. So I switched to silicon as a mineral needed and it's working well.

Option for bone health, too.

Biosil is a good product. Any supplement with silicon is important to stimulate collagen production, and the ones with silicon most biologically available are those with silica in the forms of OSA, bamboo extract, or horsetail extract.

ETA: Bone health is an important aspect of adding silicon/silica, as you get the bonus of collagen stimulation, the chaperone effect of moving calcium to the bones, and the dynamic of silicon making bones more flexible as opposed to taking high doses of just calcium or prescriptions of bisphosphonates, which can make bones more brittle.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Sat, Mar-18-23 at 09:35.