Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 17:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/186.2/140 Male 64 inches
BF:les/sen/ing
Progress: 32%
Thumbs down sunday bl**dy sunday

I would do great on this diet if it wasnt for sundays. I go out and do the shopping with the wife and always pick up a bottle of wine with the intent of having a glass or 2 and always drink the botlle then usually have peanuts or walnuts. Take a look at todays fitday thing strawberries, grapes sheesh why do I do it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 17:41
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

If that is something you know you do then maybe for next Sunday you plan ahead and steal yourself against the temptations. Part of the problem is recognizing it, which you do. You are on your way.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 17:45

Its not the wine alone so much as the stuff I eat when really hungry after it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 19:14
Registered Member

Stats: 157.5/157.5/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%

I hear ya....when I have wine it does the same thing to me...makes me want to eat.

Then I get mad at myself, because I know what's going to happen....arg!!

Just try to skip the grocery store next Sunday...see what happens...just a thought..

Anne
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 20:13

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Why not take her out to a nice bar or restraunt for a glass of wine? As much as it costs.. it should help you to stop at just one. Plus it always feels more special to go out and have a glass of wine then sitting around the house in blue jeans in front of the computer having a glass.

Jenn
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 20:34
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Maybe the type of wine you're drinking has something in it that causes a trigger in you. Maybe due to the sugar content of the grapes used?
I don't know where I saw it on the board here, but I recall someone giving a general listing of which wine is better to have, given the sugars.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 10:54

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Go to Tesco's and get some low carb beer, Let her drink the wine, you drink the beer. Tesco's own brand value larger and bitter are almost low carb by the way.
Make some cheese crisps to eat with it and you're away.

(By the way strawberries, not too bad, grapes - probably the worst thing you ate all day, tons of fructose, guarenteed to knock you out of Ketosis)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 14:06

lol surprisingly I tested this morning and got quite a high reading on the ketostix????
whats up with that? not that I am complaining.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 14:53

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Alcohol also produces ketones when burning. This is why it doesn't actually knock you out of ketosis.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:08

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default It is the wine

if your only problems happen after you drink it.

I used to do fine with not-smoking, unless I was drinking. It relaxes your willpower (and probably increases cravings, but I don't know that personally). Alcohol and sugar burn off in the same pathways, pretty much.

Do you need to buy the bottle? Is there something else you can do for fun on Sundays that isn't about wine?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 14:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 168/163/128 Female 5'1.5''
BF:44%/44%/22-28%
Progress: 13%

Red wine will get your blood glucose to lower, which can give huge cravings for carbs. That’s the main reason I avoid wine. Whenever I have some with my meal, I need a sweet desert. Whenever I have some before the meal, I just skip the meal and eat chips, nuts or anything that will get me fat. I now leave wine for special occasions, when I intend to cheat anyway!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 16:02

Yeah I am gonna try to avoid it for a while I got used to having a drink on sundays and thought giving up the roast potatoes was good enough but obviously not. Sunday was always the only day I drank anything at all but it spoils this diet for me so much.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 18:58

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:

I know what you mean about your Sunday-night treat. I am the same way on Saturday night. I want a glass of wine at the end of the long week. I don't drink any other day, and I don't "cheat" with sugary foods or fried foods. I resent having to give up my only "vice" to stay on a diet, so I have had to find a way of working it in without feeling deprived and without double-crossing myself with "just one more glass." Here's what I have done:

I found a gourmet store that carries fine wine in little half bottles. I can finish the whole bottle because it only has a couple of glasses in it. I don't save money, because they're pretty snooty wines, but I also get to try some very expensive wines for no more than I would spend on a full bottle from the grocery store.

Or, I use recipes that call for wine. Pour yourselves a couple of glasses and use the rest in the food. Salmon is especially nice when poached in white wine. And a creamy sauce made with wine and butter is low carb, right?

It is important to find a way that you can live with in the long term, otherwise you'll go back to the "old ways" instead of staying with this forever.

Last edited by Nelson : Tue, Mar-16-04 at 19:05.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 18:37
California Dreamin

Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

Before starting this WOE, I liked to have a few casual drinks with my husband every now and then, (wine, mudslides, for example)...With me, I knew I had to cut it out completely...at least for now. I always felt the "munchies" attach when I drank any kind of alcohol, and at the time I was eating, I tended to rationalize that its ok just that one time...(I was terrible about that..)...It just worked out better for me to committ to staying away from it for now...
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 20:22

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Default Wine is Bliss, Wine is Hell

I am one of those misfortunate few who love wine but can only drink it once in a blue moon.

If I buy a bottle, there is no doubt that the craving floodgates arise. Next thing I know, every carby thing in the house is gone. If there are no carby things in the house...it's a short trip to the phone for a deluxe pizza. I don't want to do it, but I am physically impelled...I HAVE to do it.

Different people have different triggers, this is my trigger. The trick is to never get in the position where you're holding the gun!

If I could get someone to hit me over the head after 2 glasses so I could be unconscious 24 hours without stuffing every grain and potato derived product down my gullet...no problem!