Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 09:05

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 306/271/145 Female 66 inches
BF:Do I have to?????
Progress: 22%
Unhappy I am about ready to give up

I am getting very discouraged at my lack of weight loss. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I am following the Atkins diet, I am still on Induction. I am drinking 128 oz of water a day. I exercise for 45-60 minutes a day doing high intensity cardio... and nothing. This has been 3 weeks at the same weight and the past 10 days at the same measurements. What am I doing wrong.

Just a side note I am not taking my Glucophage. I am out. I am going to the doctor on base in TX when I visit my dh for Labor Day weekend. He is military and I can go on base for free.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kimberly
Firedancer
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 278.4/241.6/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Don't give up!!! I know that this can be so incredibly frustrating. I would suggest a few things....
1st- track you food for the next few days to see what youre really eating. Could be you have some extra carbs you don't realize youre consumming.
2nd- Having PCOS you may be more like me where you need a few more carbs then allowed on atkins, and just need to maybe choose some good ones to add.
3rd- Everyone stalls...it happens to the best or in my case...the worst of us LOL!!! Be patient you have gotten quite a good start. 33lbs is quite the accomplishment! So don't beat yourself up.
4th- Not being on your meds could have contributed to the stall. So just take a deep breath and relax. Try to figure out what may or may not be happening and try to remember that you didn't gain weight overnight and it may take a good long time to get rid of it.

I wish you all the luck and support you need to travel this long road. I am here if you want to talk.

PS I hope you won't be offended by getting advice form a self proclaimed slacker who falls off the wagon ALL THE TIME!!!
I don't know what my problem is, but I give good advice to everyone else! LOL

Have a great week!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 12:10

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

Well...

First of all, youve lost 33 pounds in about a month?? Thats an amazingly fast rate of loss. Second your body will have ebbs & flows of loss. PCOS does make it harder to loose, but its almost impossible to loose with our LC'ing if you have PCOS. Your body needs a few days to catch up. It isnt a true stall until it last more than a month. Be patient and be kind to yourself. You've lost 24% of your target weight, thats a lot in a month.

I know saying be patient is easier said than done, but its true. We didnt gain it over night we wont loose it over night.

I was in the 190's for a little over 3 months so I know it gets frustrating. BUt for thoes of us with PCOS, we arent just using this woe to loose weight, we literally need it, to minimize sysmptoms and to help keep our bodies healthy & in check.

Best of Luck.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 20:03

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 201/183/170 Female -
BF:
Progress: 58%

If your body is like mine, keep a diary or just a close watch on your calories. I was using peanut butter as a snack twice a day, not much, but it doesn't take much... 190 calories in a TB I think! I stopped w/the peanut butter and the weight started to move again.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 22:35

Plan: metabolic typing
Stats: 130/175/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Fire Dancer,

First and foremost, stop. I'll say it again. Stop. Losing 33 pounds in one month looks great on the scale, but your body will stop you if you don't stop yourself. If you have PCOS and are out of meds, watch your diet carefully. But, if you continue to have a high cardio workout on a restricted calorie diet your body will slow or stop metabolizing food/stored fat, because it believes it is starving. You must either slow down the cardio or increase your caloric intake. Believe me, please. Don't give up, but do give your body a chance to adjust to a 33 pound loss in 30 days. Normal weight lose is 2 - 3 lbs per week. You have almost tripled the average, healthy weight loss recommendations. Not just mine, but every health care professional out there. It won't take long. Just reduce your cardio to 20 minutes 3 times a week and lift weights 3 days a week. Take the seventh day off as an active rest day. Within a week to ten days you should start to see the weight comming off again. When you notice the weight comming off again, increase your cardio, but also increase your caloric intake. Your calories out vs. calories in shouldn't be so far apart that you lose more than 3 pounds per week. I'm not normally so forward on a posting, but I've been there, done that. It doesn't pay to lose weight that quickly.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 06:12

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 306/271/145 Female 66 inches
BF:Do I have to?????
Progress: 22%
Default I lost 33lbs in three months

Hi all ~

I just wanted to say that I never lost 33lbs in one month. I lost 33lbs in a total of 3 months. I think that averages about 11lbs per month. But now, I am at a stall and I have not lost anything in the past 3 weeks. I am discouraged. That is all. In fact, I have gained 4lbs, which discourages me from wanting to continue on this wol. I believe I may have found the culprit. But it may take a couple of weeks to determine if it is the Atkins bars that have caused the stall.

Kimberly
Firedancer
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 09:13

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

A true stall is longer than 1 month, so maybe kick the franken foods ()atkins bars, sf candies whatever) and kick up the water and cardio. I bet you'll see another loss.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-25-05, 12:34

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Dr. Schwarzbein in her book also talks about the body storing nutrients if we have treated our bodies really bad in the past, (Skipping meals, low fat diets, low cal diets, ect, all kinds of stuff), and sometimes weight gain will occur to store what you need to repair the body. dont' give up, definetly drop the bars, I know they are atkins, but I'm not sure they are really good for the first 2 week induction stage, as well as I think the carb counts aren't accurate, I find I have trouble with my blood sugars when I eat them, I'm not sure I believe in the "net carb" because my blood sugars always seem to react to the total carb of what I would expect than the "net carb" effect. Still really check what you are eating and the amounts to be sure you are not getting more than you should. There maybe more going on with you too, like candida you may want to think about that if you don't see a downward trend starting.
Tanya