Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 17:55
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 184/184/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy I don't think I have PCOS but my doctor says I do

I went to the doctor a week ago because after stoping birth control 2 months ago I havn't gotten my period......this has happened before and they said I had hypothyroidism and now I am taking synthroid (my thyroid had been tested a few months previous to this and was in normal range so I don't know about that diagnosis either) so anyways this time I went to a gyno and she said I had PCOS because they couldn't find anything else wrong so that must be it and she suggested the atkins diet. she put me on progesterone for 10 days to force my period and then I am to start back on birth control pills to keep me regular.....I wear size 10-12 so I don't really think my weight would be a cause, I'm very evenly proportioned......I don't have hair loss, acne, or hair growth.....I'm also very leary of Doctor's diagnosis because it seems with me they have always had it wrong....took out my apendix a few months ago and then told me it was fine and a colon inf was causing my pn!!!! so anyways thought maybe you guys could help.

By the way....if I do have PCOS, what are my chances of having children?

Any responses are greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/159/145 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

I don't know much about POCS but I suggest getting a second medical opinon. If you are not conifedent with your Dr, find another one. I know it is easier said than done.
I hope everything works out for you.
Take care
Astrid
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 19:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157.5/129 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I did have symptoms of PCOS for years, and infertility, but no one diagnosed it. A chiroprator/nutritionist/holistic doctor recommended low carb as a solution, and 12 weeks later, VOILA! I was pregnant. My son is now 2 1/2, and I am trying to conceive another. So, you CAN do it!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 242/211/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have PCOS, and I have two children. I would definately go to another doctor. There is bloodwork that can be done to determine whether or not you have PCOS. There are so many different things that cause PCOS, so PCOS is actually a very broad description of a whole book of issues. And there is such a thing as PCOS in women who are either in their healthy weight range or right above it as there are in women who are well above a healthy weight for their height and such.
So, anyways, you should see another doctor, and have some bloodwork like having you insulin levels tested, and your cholesterol, and TSH, other various hormone levels, if you haven't already.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 11:50

Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I'm just baffled by someone saying because you haven't had a period, you must have PCOS. That by itself is an asanine diagnosis.

Some symptoms of PCOS include (taken from WebMD):
1. Fewer than 8 menstrual cycles in a year
2. Obesity
3. Abnormal vaginal bleeding
4. Excess hair growth on the face, chest, back, stomach, thumbs, or toes.
5. Skin problems like acne, oily skin, dark patches, or skin tags.
6. Depression.
7. High insulin levels in the blood.

A physical exam and blood tests can tell your doctor whether you have PCOS or not. If the only symptom you have is a lack of menstruation, it could simply be a hormone imbalance, stress, or a myriad of other things. Don't accept the "it must be" diagnosis.

I, too, am hypothyroid. About a month after I started Synthroid and a low carb WOL, my periods became like clockwork for the first time in my LIFE. Before I started treatment, I had gone 3 years without a period.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 14:13

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

To me it doesn't sound like PCOS, it is always something to watch for, but my guess is your having a hard time adjusting from stopping the pill. There are many other causes for amenorrhea. You state your weight is 175, but how tall are you? What physical symptoms do you have, like those mentioned above. PCOS and hypothyroidism can go hand in hand, and a normal low thyroid level can be there, but if you are in doubt your should have hormone studies done to verify.
Yes it is possible to have children with PCOS, lc helped my with my last one and my current pregnancy, and I also have a 15 year old and a 11 year old that both had a bit of help in getting here.
Tanya
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 184/184/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Pcos

Thanks for all the support!! I did have my femal hormones checked a year ago when I didn't get my period for 4 months after stopping BC, and my primary said they were fine.....so the gyno looked back at those results and said they were in normal range, but they were imbalances, something she said my primary wouldn't know to much about?!?!?! Well I'm only 24 and don't plan on having kids for a couple years...so I'm back on BC to regulate my period (and prevent pregnancy) and the gyno said that when I planned on having kids I would just take fertility pills.....we'll see......thanks again for all your comments!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-05, 17:30
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

My periods were never regular, going a few months at a time without one was normal for me, ever since I began menstruating. One of my daughters is the same way. We don't have PCOS, it's just the way we are. I always kind of liked not having a period every single month.

I somehow managed to get pregnant, too. 4 times.