Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 22:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 300/300/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Can I lose weight while on the Pill?

I was told I had PCOS when I was 20....am 34 now.....and that I didn't have to worry about it, and he put me on the pill so that I would have periods. He also said I should lose weight, and though I have been on innumerable diets since then, I have steadily gained weight. So now I am starting to do LC.

Has anybody elso been able to lose wight on the pill? Everything I read says that it will slow or stop weight loss. So, I am already a little afraid of failure, once again. W/o the pill, no periods. I haven't been able to find anyone else with this situation, and my gyn says that unless I am wanting to get pregnant, there isn't any reason to put me on any of the other meds like Glucophage (?). And no, as a single woman, I am not looking to get pregnant, so I feel a little lost and alone.....anybody with ideas or experience to help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 23:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/180/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hello...

The one thing that I would recommend to you is talking to your dr about trying a different pill. There are all different kinds of birth control pills and they effect us all differently. I have known girls who have been on 3-4 different types before they found the one that works best for them. I would definitely suggest you talk to your dr about that.

I have confidence that the LC diet will help you as well. I have PCOS as well as Hypothyroidism and it has seemed impossible to lose weight... but I lost 12 pounds in the first week with the low carb diet.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:57

Stats: 218.5/207/167 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I am on Yasmin, and I have lost 12.5 pounds in 5 weeks. I seem to lose slower than others on this way of life, but I attribute it more to my high insulin resistance more than the pills. I think if you find the right pill, you will lose the weight.

Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 17:09

Stats: 165/165/130 Female 5'3"
BF:

Hello. I have been on Metformin for about five months now and I am not trying to get pregnant. My periods happened about once a year. My doctor wouldn't put me on a birth control pill because he was afraid it would make me gain weight, so instead he put me on Metformin. I now have had my periods four times out of the five months and I have lost 18 pounds. I don't know if any of this will help but it has been helpful for me to be on it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 19:51

BF:

Thanks so much.....I am going to call my doctor and ask about that....ANYTHING to make it easier.....

Does the Metformin have any weird side effects?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 21:17

Stats: 165/165/130 Female 5'3"
BF:

At first my stomach growled even if i wasn't hungry. The doctor told me it would do that for about four days and it did. After those four days my body got use to it. Also the first week I did have diahrrea about an hour after I ate. But that disappeared after a week. I think it was worth it. I finally feel normal now. Especially having my periods and shedding some pounds.
Oh yeah...I only had diahrrea after the afternoon meals. In the evening I never did. But like I said it will go away after your body adjusts. I am glad I've been on it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 22:25

BF:

Cool...sounds doable, and nothing I cna't deal with.....what would hurt to try?
-Sojo
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 08:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 334/328/???
BF:
Progress:

Well, I have had period problems since I was 9...now 30 I am totally sick of being jerked around. I have been on and off different types of pills. My body would be ok for the first 8-10 months on a pill then I would start having break through bleeding or no period at all. We were losing our insurance so I wanted a birth control that would be long term so the dr suggested an IUD. Worst thing I ever did!!! I quit having normal periods and started having a daily discharge of a dark brown color. I ended up having a DNC, but I still am having abnormal bleeding. So, the gyn has put me on 2 pills a day. I saw my primary, and all he wanted to do was harp on my weight. He says that is my whole problem. I am on blood pressure meds. He won't do a gluclose tolerance test, but did a fasting blood sugar test and cholesterol test. I was told that all the numbers were normal-blood sugar was 87. But I thought that wasn't an accurate way to diagnosis insulin resistancy. He refuses to discuss Metiforim or any other med since the fasting sugar level was "normal" He says I just eat too much carbs (I'm carb loading! he says) But, nobody can explain skin tags, darken skin, facial hair, lossing hair, abnormal periods....I had a cyst large enough that the gyn was taking surgery...but now it is gone?!? I am totally frustrated
...now all I want is to do my Atkins diet (lost 60 the first time I did it 6 yrs ago) and get some insulin meds! I see a endocrinologist on the 30th, who sounds like she is familiar with the tretment of PCOS...Wish me Luck!!