Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-13, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: JUDDD / Fast 5
Stats: 293/163/163 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Gum caused me to stall!

I just had to share something with you. I am a slow loser, having never lost more than 2 pounds in a week, even though I started at 274.

I was rereading my CAD book Saturday night, and what they said about sugar free gum struck me. I've been a gum chewer all my life, but I increased it a few months ago. Even though I've heard that it can cause stalls, I mean, "how in the world can no calories do that to you!?" or so I thought.

Well, on a whim, I quit it 6 days ago, and I've already lost 3 pounds, the first time EVER to lose such an amount in such a short time! The calorie numbers haven't changed!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-13, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

That's amazing, isn't it. Let's hope that continues. 1-2lb a week isn't a slow loser, by the way. 1lb or less a month is slow.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-13, 10:52

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericste
I just had to share something with you. I am a slow loser, having never lost more than 2 pounds in a week, even though I started at 274.

I was rereading my CAD book Saturday night, and what they said about sugar free gum struck me. I've been a gum chewer all my life, but I increased it a few months ago. Even though I've heard that it can cause stalls, I mean, "how in the world can no calories do that to you!?" or so I thought.

Well, on a whim, I quit it 6 days ago, and I've already lost 3 pounds, the first time EVER to lose such an amount in such a short time! The calorie numbers haven't changed!

The Hellers go into some detail about artificial sweeteners in CALP - bottom line, if it tastes sweet, your body may respond just as if it's sugar - insulin release and all. I'm not at all surprised you are now losing since quitting the gum..good for you for figuring it out!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-13, 12:51
Registered Member

BF:

To lose 1-2 pounds a week when you first start a diet is slow for a 274 woman. If I lost 1 pound my first month, I'd have given up.

Yes, it was the CALP I read about the sugar free gum.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-13, 15:31
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

HI-
Same thing for mints and diet sodas too. It is the sweet taste that keeps the insulin release active. I have not even had gum on plane flights since reading CALP. Good for you that you figured it out.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-13, 06:13
Registered Member

BF:

It's been 13 days since I gave up sugar free gum. I also haven't had any diet pop (I'm not an addict) during that time. I've lost 8 pounds. Losing this much in such a short period of time has never happened to me ever.

Not only that, but my cravings are, like, gone. Seriously, it's strange, but I love it!

Also, since I have serious problems with leptin levels, I always count calories and carbs for accountability's sake, and these have not changed during this time. I can only say that insulin releasing must actually add calories (or carbs) to the equation.

(Updated because I lost 2 more pounds overnight! )

Last edited by jenericste : Sat, Mar-23-13 at 05:36.