Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 14:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I love rice cakes too. I actually love the way they taste.

I went to a lecture by Dr. Fine last night, he's the guy behind Enterlab.com and he's definitely getting a Nobel prize one day (I think). It really drove home to me why you have to be 100% on gluten-free. He did studies and they still find gluten antibodies in intestine even 2 years after being gluten free! They come down, yes, the damage heals (somewhat) but they're still there still causing autoimmune reactions.

Dr. Fine is finding 30% of people have gluten sensitivity in the US.

I would have Dr. Fine's babies except I'm nearly menopausal. He's really cute too.

I think you've got carb bloat. I'm debloating too. I went crazy again and packed on the 4 pounds I had lost, but they're coming off again and my eating is vastly better now.

My egg rolls are making me quite happy. Finally a sandwich thingie I can eat that doesn't bloat me or isn't carby. Horray!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Aug-03-06, 16:00
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Egg rolls? Do tell...

And I am gonna check out Dr. Fine, since he's so fine...hardy har har. But 2 years? My gawd. You know, it may be worth getting the actual testing done - I'm going to ask my doc, since I'm due for a checkup as it is, if it's covered here or not. If not, I may save up.

Rice cakes - I love the cheddar ones, and the ones with chocolate chips in them. Oh, and the butter popcorn ones. Mmmmm!
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 10:44
Experimenter

BF:

The gluten tests mainstream doctors are using now are missing most gluten sensitives, it only catches you when you're at a celiac stage. However, Dr. Fine's test is catching everyone who is having an antibody reaction to gluten. Which is something like 30% of the population.

I wouldn't even bother with the standard blood test because you've got to have a lot of intestinal damage before they'll register.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-06, 09:17
Dazilous

BF:

Good to know, thanks. It's really frustrating that food sensitivities aren't taken more seriously, since they have such far-reaching implications. I read Dangerous Grains on your recommendation - scary stuff.

My bloat has gone down 1.5" since starting elim diet and my tubes feel cleaner, if that makes any sense! Weird thing tho - I woke up this morning and my lips were swollen, as if I'd had collagen injections overnight. The only things I can think of that may have caused it are things I have never reacted to before: chicken wings, potato chips (made with non-hydrogenated sunflower oil) last night, and also I'm babysitting a friend's dog. Never had trouble with any of these things previously. I am stumped. I looked like Goldie Hawn in The First Wives Club! Couldn't look in the mirror without cracking up.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-06, 19:46
Experimenter

BF:

I had some strange eyelid swelling, I looked like Elephant man, that would come and go before I fixed up my diet. Hmmm... using any new cosmetics or cleaners?
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 08:12
Dazilous

BF:

Nope! It went away, but it was really weird! My lips are all peely today.

At my dad's yesterday for his BD, and I mentioned that I'd been having a bloat thing with wheat - he said "Everyone bloats when they eat wheat!" which I take to mean he does...would make sense if his side was sensitive, being all small and Irish and headachy! I didn't pursue it though since I wanted a break from discussing food (my poor sister has heard enough)

Had ice cream yesterday - no problems YESSSSSS!
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 11:56

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I find milk, yogurt & soft cheeses (ricotta, cream & cottage) make me bloat, but a bit of heavy cream in my coffee and hard cheese (up to 3 oz a day) don't.

Nancy, any chance your meds have starch fillers in them?
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Aug-07-06, 11:47
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Nancy, any chance your meds have starch fillers in them?

Probably.

Sis, I had ice cream too. Last night I woke at 1 am cramping like mad thinking I was dying (that one DR. G. when the lady died from blood clots that went to her bowel convinced me). I had some of the worst cramping I've had in ages. Finally around 3 am it resolved but I still felt awful.

Not sure what it was. I had eaten out 2 times, supposedly GF but it is always a risk and had that ice cream.

I didn't think I was one to react violently to trace amounts of gluten but perhaps I do now.

The other possibility is it was food poisoning, but it didn't seem like I was sick enough for that.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-06, 08:58
Dazilous

BF:

Nancy - oogh. Sounds unpleasant...and unfair! Glad it resolved, but it's frustrating not knowing exactly what it was. What did you have when you ate out?

Deirdra - I am really hoping that cheese is not a problem for me because I looooooove cheese in all forms. I have realized though that I could live quite happily without milk. Since going grain-free, I only ever had it in my tea and now I'm taking that black or with coconut milk. Hope yogurt is okay too - why do you suppose it bothers you? I thought with all the good buggies it would be totally fine?

Montrous Bloat is holding at 33", down from 34.5" after my return from Quebec City. It's been 9 days, but I haven't been totally clean - thinking I may go meat & egg for a week. After this evening (Mum's BD at a French restaraunt) I have no more engagements that require me to eat.

Why couldn't I have just dropped a few pounds and gotten on with life? *hand to forehead, fretful sigh*
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-06, 10:07
Experimenter

BF:

If you're not good at digesting casein then all the good bugglies in the world can't help with that. They're bugglies that feed on sugars (lactose), not proteins.

I've had a nice drop in weight and my stomach is flattening out again. I've been eating fruits (lots), veggies and plenty of fat and meat. I'm also trying to eat more fish.

I had Halibut cooked in a banana liquour with bananas and macadamia nuts when I went out to eat. The chef said it was free of gluten. But, our appetizer came served with little pieces of bread around it. So I might have had some trace amounts of wheat.

I'm thinking that I had food poisoning though.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-06, 10:25

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

I got the bloated stomach too. I eliminated dairy but substituted soy milk instead. I think I need to eliminate soy too. I have not eliminated wheat yet but might just try soy first.

I know I am sensitive to something still since I have so much bloat and gas. It is embarrassing.

I saw someone here had to stop eating raw almonds, why? I eat them everyday too. Should I eliminate them too for a while?
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-06, 11:58
Experimenter

BF:

Wheat is one of the most common issues. 30% of the random people tested have intestinal antibodies to it. It has been studied a lot more than anything else.

I often have bad BM's after eating raw almonds. Not every time, but it seems to happen often enough that I'm pretty suspicious they're causing the problem.
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-06, 12:28

I am cutting out the raw almonds although I do not have bad BM's after eating them. I will cut out the soy and wheat now and still leave out the dairy. This is harder than I originally thought. But, maybe the problem was not dairy and it was wheat all along. I did eat ricotta cheese last night and did not bloat or have gas.
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-06, 16:10
Experimenter

BF:

What I have done in the past is start with a very minimalist diet that seemed to leave my gut happy (meat, veggies, fruit). Then I slowly tried to add things and took notes about what I seemed to react to. A food journal is really useful. I just jot down quick notes about what I ate and how I felt that day. Sometimes the delay in reaction is a day or two, so the changes have to happen slowly.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-06, 06:47

Thanks Nancy, I am going to keep a daily journal about record what I eat, when and my feelings and any symptoms. This morning my stomach was deflated. Do you think coffee might effect it too? I started drinking it with only SF syrup today. It could have been the dairy or soy.