Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-12, 17:48
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Southwest Black Bean-Corn Bake

This came out QUITE good with the bacon and olives in it! Not quite like the other black bean salsa dishes I've done in the past. It was kinda like a cross between crustless tamale pie and a black bean salsa, with a twist. Hubby really liked this!

We smoked a 9 lb. fresh pork picnic today with my Montreal Barbeque Sauce. Man, what a North Carolina-style “pig pickin’” we had for dinner! Only difference is it wasn’t a whole pig, like they do in North Carolina. Doesn’t GET any better than that! It was sooooo tender and soooooo good!

Hubby wanted baked beans to go with the pork and the green salad I was planning. But baked beans are so carb-y, even regular black beans are fairly carby. I got him to compromise and I did a bean dish with Eden brand black soy beans and a wee bit of corn. WOW! It was fantastic with that pork! Hubby was quite surprised he liked it as much as he did! I KNEW I’d like it, because I love Tamale Pie, and this dish reminds me of that a lot, it just doesn’t have the cornmeal topping on it! This vegetable dish is not acceptable until the starchy vegetable/legumes rung of the Atkins OWL ladder.

INGREDIENTS:

4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
3 oz. onion, chopped coarsely
¼ c. green bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
12 black olives, sliced
10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
½ c. Monterrey Jack Cheese, grated
1 15 oz. can Eden black soy beans, drained
1/3 c. low-sodium corn kernels
2-3 T. cilantro leaves, chopped
Sprinkle each salt, black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and cumin

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Brown the bacon until half-crisp in a skillet. Grease your ceramic baking dish with a bit of this bacon grease. Add onion to the rest of the grease and saute until onion is soft and caramelizing. Add bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic. Add beans, corn, olives, tomatoes, cheese, cilantro and seasonings. Lightly toss to mix well. Pour into greased baking dish and bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to mingle. Serve with your favorite BBQ meat, grilled seafood of Mexican food.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 6 servings, each contains:

171.5 calories
11.2 g fat
9.15 g carbs, 4.58 g fiber, 4.57 g NET CARBS
10.45 g protein
348 mg sodium
146 mg potassium
24% RDA iron, 18% zinc, 17% phosphorous, 12% magnesium, 14% C

Last edited by Buttoni : Mon, Jul-23-12 at 17:58.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 07:51
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Although the carb count on this isn't bad, one can always leave out the 1/3 c. corn and pull the carb count down, particularly if you're afraid the little bit of corn in this will be a binge trigger for you.