Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 19:55

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 182/145/145
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default If you REALLY REALLY have a craving try this...

If you REALLY REALLY have a craving for something you know you shouldn't eat try this.

Put it in your mouth, chew, and SPIT IT OUT.

I know, I know it sounds gross but you will get the taste of the craving.

I has worked for me and I also find that after tasting what I thought I was craving, I didn't like it that much after all.

Now I know some of you will question the amount of carbs taken in just by chewing something then spitting it out but it's a lot less than if you would actually swallow it.

Maybe it's not for all, but it has helped me to not want what I thought I couldn't live without.

(Now why are all these smileys round and fat? Where are the slender smileys?)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 18:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/190/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation

Ah, BlueCobra,
I am going to try putting the Hot Tamale Candy in my mouth and spitting it out....before I eat the whole 8 oz. box!

I do fine on my diet until late at night and I want that candy. Then I decide I had better take a laxative to get rid of the candy. And I know that is not good for you.

Urggghhhhhh, this craving is getting me down. If I could just find one food that was on the diet and satisfied me at night I would be set to succeed.

Why, is getting off carbs so hard?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 02:08

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

The breaking down of carbs starts the instant your saliva mixes with the food. So, you're still getting some carbs.

And, I'm sorry, but that is too eating-disorder-like for me. (Bulimia sucks, and that is pretty close)

If you MUST have a bite, have a bite and move on with it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 16:23
Italian Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I agree with Misa. That's really not too healthy. Just eat and get it overwith. You'll never be able to stop loving your favorite foods. Moderation, my dear, is key.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 18:55
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
I do fine on my diet until late at night and I want that candy. Then I decide I had better take a laxative to get rid of the candy. And I know that is not good for you.

In fact that is bulemic behavior.

I am truly concerned by this... maybe you should speak to a doctor about that.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins started at 197lbs
Stats: 207/183/170
BF:BMI: 31.5/27.5/26
Progress: 65%

Hey...I've done the laxative thing myself, so you're not alone. I did it a few times and found it just wasn't worth it...just remember tomorrow's another day!!

What is it you crave so badly?? Maybe we can scrounge up a somewhat LC recipe for you or die trying!!!

And when i REALLY want a reeses peanut butter cup..that's just what i do. Chew, Savor, Spit.

I see nothing wrong with that That IS our moderation...it's not an eating disorder if you only do it with candy or very heavily carbed food...

it IS a disorder if you do that with EVERYTHING!!!!

I see nothing wrong with it...VIVA LA SPITTAGE
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 16:39

BF:

Now I'm not sure who you are referring to with a disorder here but it isn't me.

I used this about twice around Christmas time when I baked cookies for the kids and decided I wanted to taste them. I had been on low carb since Dec. 2nd.

I know digestion starts in your mouth however, if you really crave something and just getting the taste in your mouth will satisfy you there is nothing wrong with tasting and then spitting it out. It's a whole lot better than completely consuming that food. Sure you get some carbs from putting it in your mouth, but it's not a fraction of what you would get if you actually swallowed it. You will also find that if you have kicked the carbs you don't like the foods you thought you craved in the first place.

I have reached my goal in exactly 5 months and have lost 38 pounds. I have not cheated and consumed the wrong foods. I stuck to the program.

But, on those couple of instances that I "tasted" what I thought I craved it helped me to get over that craving.

Yes, maybe that laxative thing is a disorder, but I don't do that and I assure you that putting something in your mouth to taste is not a disorder.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 20:42

Stats: 284/256/140
BF:too much
Progress: 19%
Unhappy will not work for me

I thought I could just try something my husband was eating just for the taste of it so that way I wouldnt want it anymore, well that blew up in my face, TWO doughnuts later DAHHHH and I even know better then to do this.
I had tried a little bit of my husbands still warm doughnut with the creamy frosting and a half an hour later I was drooling for if like my DOGS...lol I know better then to do this becsuse it always causes me to fail. But if it helps you, to each there own

Stephanie
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 23:18

BF:

Yes, I guess you have a point there.

I was lucky enough not to want it when I "tasted" it so it worked for me. But it definitely could have backfired.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 12:34

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%
I have found that I do fine if I can resist the first bite. If I eat one bite, then it's over and all that is there will not be soon. The hardest times are at family gatherings, Christmas time, birthdays. I try to have some sort of substitute low-carb thing around to eat later after the gathering is over. That promise that I am getting SOMETHING later seems to help. I also try to get as much of the tempting treats out of the house as quickly as possible. The temptation is greatest when it is looking at me! I think I will always be addicted to sweets. Although my addiction has evolved from the tablespoons of sugar and bags of Halloween candy I ate as a child to now more pastry-based ones of coconut cream pie, I have sweets so wrapped up in feelings of comfort and family that I know it will always be hard. If I really feel like I deserve a treat (Santa's Christmas Cookies, etc.), I will wait til there is only one left and then eat it so I can't binge on it. Same with my passion, coconut cream pie--I'll only get one piece on my birthday and fight my husband for every bite. These strategies work pretty well for me.

Tig
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 20:25

BF:
Default What I do

Since reaching my goal I have been able to eat a social functions just like everyone else. For me it does not trigger eating the way I used to. I then just go back to LC the next day. I do not gain any weight and feel just fine.

Now I am able to maintain my weight and still have that treat occasionally. I will say that my will power must be pretty good and I am glad I can enjoy that occasional treat and still go right back to the program.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 14:33
Registered Member

Stats: 237/173.5/135
BF:
Progress: 62%

if you are going to chew then spit out make sure it doesn't go too far...

there was a time when i would eat six donuts, throw them up (not just spit out) then eat 6 more and throw them up...

it s a bad cycle and bad behavior that can't lead to anything good

i was scaring myself when i did that
how can i be 32 and developing bulemia???

honest though a week into atkins i could pass the donuts and not even feel guilty
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 14:33

Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%
Lightbulb Cheatin Heart

That's so funny, it just may work! I found when I cheated this one time & had some cake, I was so dissapointed with the flavour. It was strawberry shortcake, but so dry & flavourless. I was pissed I wasted all those carbs & calories. I've snuck some treats I stashed away, but they went stale & lost their taste! I figure now, I'm only gonna make the cheat worth it - it's either extremely great (like a Kit Kat Chunky), or I'm not doin it!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 05:36
Midas in reverse

Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

Quote:

Having learned (the hard way) the effect of eating alot of sorbitol-based fruit-flavored hard candy at one sitting, this could be a case of "having your laxative and eating it too"!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 06:38

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 194/180.5/160 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

This sounds a lot like torture to me. Maybe its because it is a much more current and intense craving, but to me this seems similar to putting a lit cigarette up to your mouth but not actually hitting it when you are trying to quit. Why risk all that you have struggled for up to this time on an unsatisfying experience with something you cannot have.

Plus, I can certainly see the others' points about the similarity to bulemia. The next step would be to recognize that the food would be more satisfying if you ate it completely and brought it up. It is the same line of thinking