Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 18:22
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default The Super-Sized Syndrome

The Super-Sized Syndrome
By Bove, Mary

IF YOU EAT A HIGH-CARB, HIGH-FAT DIET, THE TOLL ON YOUR HEALTH MAY BE DIRE. BUT, IT CAN BE REVERSED-HERE'S HOW.

If yOU Saw the documentary Super Size Me-a chronicle of Morgan Spurlock eating only at McDonald's for a month-you witnessed someone developing metabolic syndrome, otherwise known as Syndrome X.

What is this ominous condition? A type of disorder that includes insulin1 resistance, excessive abdominal fat, high blood pressure and dyslipidemia-abnormal levels of fats in the blood-that eventually leads to heart disease, type 2 diabetes and stroke. This multifaceted disorder is driven by overeating processed foods and underdoing exercise-and it ups the odds of developing all kinds of other troubles such as Alzheimer's and obesity.

Audiences watched as Spurlock ate exactly the kind of diet (high in processed simple carbohydrates and saturated fats) that studies have linked with the syndrome. Besides the risks already mentioned, sugary, high-fat diets are missing many of the vitamins and minerals we need to stay well; they cause glucose and insulin levels to rise to unhealthy levels; and they alter cholesterol metabolism. But diet and lack of exercise aren't the only risk factors for developing Syndrome X; genetic predisposition and ethnic background also play a role.

avoiding syndrome x

The average American adult eats anywhere from 2,000-3,600 calories a day-more than the amount most adults need (1,200-2,200 calories a day). Worse, about 50 percent of those calories come from fats and simple (i.e., highly processed) carbohydrates. When Spurlock ate every meal at McDonald's for a month to showcase what poor eating can do to you, his health took a beating, but he was able to bring it back in line afterward by returning to his healthier eating habits. And just as Spurlock was able to reverse the damage done to his body in the name of movie making, you can too, by incorporating a few of the dietary and exercise habits below.

* Eat more fresh, high-fiber foods such as whole grain breads, fresh fruits and vegetables, raw nuts, flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds, legumes (especially mung beans), brown rice, lentils and oats. The addition of maitake mushrooms may be helpful as a study published in Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry in 2003 found that they may improve hypertension, dyslipidemias and diabetes, which would indicate an improvement in the metabolic syndrome. A few particularly helpful foods in terms of stabilizing blood sugar are members of the cabbage family of vegetables, leafy greens, onions, garlic and Jerusalem artichokes.

* If you are overweight, lose a few pounds. Even losing 5-10 pounds will help lower blood pressure and cholesterol, which will lower your risk of this syndrome.

* Avoid simple carbs-foods made with refined flour, sugars and hydrogenated saturated fats.

* Eat only lean protein, such as poultry, fish and low-fat dairy products, in moderation.

* Eat lightly but regularly-three moderate meals and a snack each day. For snacks, enjoy fruits and vegetables instead of starchy and sugary products.

* Get active. Regular exercise is essential in keeping blood sugar, insulin sensitivity and fat metabolism functioning at healthy levels. Find activities to do with friends, join a gym, get a personal trainer, take a yoga class or go dancing. You need to start somewhere.

Certain herbal medicines also seem to work against Syndrome X. For instance:

* Try powdered fenugreek seeds to improve blood glucose and reduce triglycerides. Take 15g of powder once a day.

* Experiment with Gymnema sylvestre, a plant native to India. Applying 1-2 drops directly on the tongue a few minutes before meals leaves an unpleasant taste when eating sweets, decreasing the desire for sugary snacks.

* Ask about chromium, vanadium, manganese, potassium and magnesium. All may affect insulin function and glucose metabolism. Discuss with your health professional whether you should supplement with these minerals.

By Mary Bove, ND

Copyright Sabot Publishing, Inc. Oct 2005

http://www.rednova.com/news/health/...source=r_health
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 21:07

Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

[/QUOTE]* Experiment with Gymnema sylvestre, a plant native to India. Applying 1-2 drops directly on the tongue a few minutes before meals leaves an unpleasant taste when eating sweets, decreasing the desire for sugary snacks.[QUOTE]

I wonder if Binaca would work?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 10:22

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Ask about chromium, vanadium, manganese, potassium and magnesium. All may affect insulin function and glucose metabolism. Discuss with your health professional whether you should supplement with these minerals.
Or you can read this article and save the expense of a doctors visit.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 17:27
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Atkins recommends low carb diet (the lower the better), supplements, and exercise. he did not recommend taking just a couple of vitamins -- but complete mega multivitamin, omega 3s, and chromium.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 22:49

Plan: atkins moderated
Stats: 215/190/180 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Yes, doesn't even a standard multi-vitamin cover that? I take it because I know I need it. I know I need it because of my darn leg cramps! But I have also found that they raise my metabolism, and act as a natural anti-depressant and energizer. Imagine that? I have beat "big psycho-pharma" with a simple multi-v.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 05:51

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

Quote:
* If you are overweight, lose a few pounds. Even losing 5-10 pounds will help lower blood pressure and cholesterol, which will lower your risk of this syndrome.

I love the way she says this as if it's something that's easy to do. The average person reading this article would LOVE to lose a few pounds if they only knew how.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 10:43

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
I know I need it because of my darn leg cramps!

You might want to look into Potassium for that.
There should be lots on it in the supplement/vitamin thread ??

Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 11:41

BF:

The potassium is too expensive to buy by itself from what I have found on store shelves, but there must be (just) enough in the multi's to take care of it and I'm getting alot more nutrients for my money (multi's with minerals).
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 12:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I use Morton's Lite Salt as my potassium supplement. I think that I paid a little over a dollar for the 11 ounce shaker. It's a much better deal than the supplements and as I use it instead of table salt, easier to take.
A 1/4 teaspoon serving has 340 mg of potassium and the container has 222 servings.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 12:22

BF:

Thanks for that tip, I"ll definitely check it out!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 20:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I use Morton's Lite Salt as my potassium supplement. I think that I paid a little over a dollar for the 11 ounce shaker. It's a much better deal than the supplements and as I use it instead of table salt, easier to take.
A 1/4 teaspoon serving has 340 mg of potassium and the container has 222 servings.

This is great. They also have a "no salt" version which is pure potassium, same price. Thanks again, you've solved a major issue for me, and perhaps many others!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 21:45

BF:

Actually, the "no-salt" potassium is a little over $5. for the same size. And this is bringing up another mystery - is potassium the mystery substance that gives me bad heartburn every now and then, or is it the sodium, or both? Suddenly it is happening now. I will have to verify over the next few days if this is related to the potassium.

I am mixing it with ricotta cheese and also plain yogurt.