Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 01:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Now that I知 retired I love being able to sleep in if possible. My sleep has been disruptive for years (she says as typing this at 3:20 AM) and it killed me when the alarm went off at 6:15 to get ready for work! I wake up at 2-3 AM almost every night, rarely get to sleep again much before 5, and usually, just as I do drop off, my dog begins whining to go out. But these days, when I finally get to sleep I値l often sleep until 9-10 AM which is very helpful.

Of course since the death of my only son a few days ago my sleep is worse than ever which probably is contributory to the cold I知 now coming down with. And my vitamin D and magnesium and all other supplements are still in my house which has been unlivable since my house fire a few days ago. I keep meaning to go back for them, but each time I go into the house I come out black with grime, and then I forget anyway. 😀
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^

BF:

Now that I知 retired I love being able to sleep in if possible. My sleep has been disruptive for years (she says as typing this at 3:20 AM) and it killed me when the alarm went off at 6:15 to get ready for work! I wake up at 2-3 AM almost every night, rarely get to sleep again much before 5, and usually, just as I do drop off, my dog begins whining to go out. But these days, when I finally get to sleep I値l often sleep until 9-10 AM which is very helpful.

Of course since the death of my only son a few days ago my sleep is worse than ever which probably is contributory to the cold I知 now coming down with. And my vitamin D and magnesium and all other supplements are still in my house which has been unlivable since my house fire a few days ago. I keep meaning to go back for them, but each time I go into the house I come out black with grime, and then I forget anyway. 😀
  #48   ^

BF:

#49   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-18, 03:38

BF:

#50   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-18, 17:24

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I didn't realize that Dr. Matthew P. Walker wrote Why We Sleep (2017). I just started reading this and put down a couple books to concentrate on this fascinating subject. From the second paragraph of page 1, chapter 1:

Routinely sleeping less than six or seven hours a night demolishes your immune system, more than doubling your risk of cancer. Insufficient sleep is a key lifestyle factor in determining whether or not you will develop Alzheimer's disease. Inadequate sleep - even moderate reductions for just one week - disrupts blood sugar levels so profoundly that you will be classified as prediabetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
New instagram post by Dr. Rhonda Patrick on sleep - 8-17-2018:

I had an amazing 2.5 hour conversation with Dr. Matthew Walker yesterday about the critical role sleep plays in human health. I知 super excited to get this video into post-production where we will add figures, references, and other useful information to make this scientific discussion even more educational. I知 so excited about this podcast. Try not to reprimand me too harshly, as you guys know by now, it takes a little while... this one will be worth the wait though!

The day we were recording this episode, Dr. Walker had a new study that was just published on how lack of sleep affects social behavior. His work found that people who were sleep deprived had increased feelings of loneliness and were less likely to engage in social interaction. Sleep deprivation activated brain regions involved in perceived threats and decreased activity in brain regions involved in social interaction. Sleep-deprived individuals were also more socially unattractive to others. We discussed this study and so much more!

new video will show here when posted...

#51   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-18, 15:48

BF:

With my recent diagnosis of sleep apnea, and starting CPAP a couple Sundays ago (8/19), can a LC diet help to alleviate the need for a CPAP, can you eventually not need it anymore?

I know that in one of Megan Ramos' videos ( I'm pretty sure it's this one ) she mentions that IDM also (treats?)..., anyway she mentions sleep apnea. Benefits of fasting and sleep apnea improvement, or maybe just with the loss of weight sleep obstruction decreases?

Has anyone stopped needing CPAP due to diet? (being in Atkins lifetime maintenance, my issue is not weight loss anymore).

I know my machine records (and send via modem) data (sd card also) my sleep data - usage hours, mask seal, events per hour, mask on / off #, with a total score. So with improvement, I wonder if I can tell that I now need a follow-up polysomnography to maybe eventually get a clean bill of health?

Lots of questions I know.

#52   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-18, 06:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Thanks to Dr. Jack Kruse, I have been aware of circadian rhythms and blue light for a few years now: following these corrective steps made a GIANT difference.

Another pro-tip: put your wireless router on a timer so you don稚 sleep with it on. Many people have reported this makes a difference: possibly because our bodies are sensing it? It can also help if you are staying up late cruising the Internet

My own tactic is to read in bed with a Kindle, which has far less blue light than even my iPad on the Sundown program. Which I also recommend.

F.lux for the computer helps too, but I also had the amber-lensed reading sunglasses at first.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-18, 06:08

BF:

Quote:
Has anyone stopped needing CPAP due to diet? (being in Atkins lifetime maintenance, my issue is not weight loss anymore).

I know my machine records (and send via modem) data (sd card also) my sleep data - usage hours, mask seal, events per hour, mask on / off #, with a total score. So with improvement, I wonder if I can tell that I now need a follow-up polysomnography to maybe eventually get a clean bill of health?

Lots of questions I know.

Several people have reported that not just weightloss, but the improved hormone profiles from low carbing, have improved their sleep; even getting off their CPAP machines.

So there is definitely hope!

Understanding blue light strategies for better sleep will also help greatly, I have experienced it myself.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-18, 08:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:

I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea 5 years ago and the doctor suggested I get outfitted with a CPAP. I asked if it was possible to reduce or eliminate sleep apnea with lifestyle changes, and he stated that in rare cases, some people have done so with aerobic exercising. I interpreted that to mean weight loss, and I went strict low carb (under 20 grams of carbs daily) that day. I had a follow up visit 6 months later, and I found I no longer had sleep apnea after losing 40 pounds in that time frame. While I take fitness seriously today, I did not radically increase my workouts during that time, and I attribute my success in avoiding CPAP to strict low carb & related health improvements including weight loss.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-18, 08:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

WereBear - I have a blue light app on my Kindle called Blue Shade, and it works well. I'll turn it on if I want to read before bed time. Not sure whether it came with my Kindle or whether I downloaded it. Worth checking.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-18, 10:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
WereBear - I have a blue light app on my Kindle called Blue Shade, and it works well. I'll turn it on if I want to read before bed time. Not sure whether it came with my Kindle or whether I downloaded it. Worth checking.

It was worth checking, but this applies to the tablet known as Fire. I have the Kindle reading device, which only stores and displays their eBooks. As such, it is low light/long battery and you can use it in sunlight.

All good reasons I asked for it for my birthday last year
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-18, 13:03

BF:

Thanks. There is hope! I have f.lux on my computer, but I now stop using the computer 2-3 hours before bedtime (haven't watched tv in years). I read my kindle with the light on around 14 with my blue blocker glasses (Uvex Skyper) - and wear those 2-3 hours before bedtime. Reading Why We Sleep, interestingly, older people (I now qualify) show regressed circadian rhythms and sleep-pressure (adenosine build up).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Several people have reported that not just weightloss, but the improved hormone profiles from low carbing, have improved their sleep; even getting off their CPAP machines.

So there is definitely hope!

Understanding blue light strategies for better sleep will also help greatly, I have experienced it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea 5 years ago and the doctor suggested I get outfitted with a CPAP. I asked if it was possible to reduce or eliminate sleep apnea with lifestyle changes, and he stated that in rare cases, some people have done so with aerobic exercising. I interpreted that to mean weight loss, and I went strict low carb (under 20 grams of carbs daily) that day. I had a follow up visit 6 months later, and I found I no longer had sleep apnea after losing 40 pounds in that time frame. While I take fitness seriously today, I did not radically increase my workouts during that time, and I attribute my success in avoiding CPAP to strict low carb & related health improvements including weight loss.

Last edited by s93uv3h : Sat, Sep-01-18 at 14:14.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-18, 05:33

BF:

Debbie, I知 so sorry that there has been so much disaster in your life lately.