Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-23, 02:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Dementia to double by 2040, driven by poor lifestyles

Quote:
Dementia to double by 2040, driven by poor lifestyles

‘Wake-up call’ for social care as rates accelerate

The number of people with dementia in England and Wales is expected to almost double to 1.7 million by 2040.

Rates in the population are rising much faster than previously thought, in a trend linked to widening inequalities, obesity and unhealthy living. The number of future cases will be 42 per cent higher than earlier forecasts had suggested, a study by University College London said, placing a “considerably larger” burden on NHS and social care.

Nearly 900,000 people are estimated to have dementia in England and Wales but if trends continue this could reach 1.2 million by 2030 and 1.7 million by 2040. The study, published in The Lancet Public Health, looked at data from people aged 50 to 80 living in England between 2002 and 2019.

Between 2008 and 2016, dementia incidence increased by 25 per cent. The study said that an “epidemic” of obesity and type 2 diabetes — both risk factors for dementia — may have contributed. “Other possible explanations include worsening risk factors in socially disadvantaged groups and improved survival for patients with stroke,” it said.

Four in ten cases of dementia could be prevented through improving lifestyle, including stopping smoking, losing weight and drinking less alcohol.

The research updates a forecast from 2017 suggesting that there would be 1.2 million cases by 2040. This figure was calculated using older data that had shown a promising dip in rates of dementia.

‘Wake-up call’

Speaking of the new prediction of 1.7 million sufferers, Dr Yuntao Chen, the lead author, from the UCL Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care, said: “Not only will this have a devastating effect on the lives of those involved but it will also put a considerably larger burden on health and social care than current forecasts predict.”

Professor Eric Brunner, also from UCL , said: “Our research has exposed that dementia is likely to be a more urgent policy problem than previously recognised — even if the current trend continues for just a few years.”

Dementia is the biggest cause of death in England and Wales. The social care system has failed to keep up with demand, with several governments breaking promises to reform it, and charities said the figures must be a “wake-up call” to improve dementia care.

James White, head of national influencing at the Alzheimer’s Society, said: “Dementia is the biggest health and social care issue of our time. Without action, the individual and economic devastation caused by dementia shows no sign of stopping.

“We know that one in three people born in the UK today will develop this terminal condition in their lifetime. Pressure on our already struggling social care system is only going to increase.

“Quality social care can make a huge difference to people’s lives, but we know that people with dementia — who are the biggest users of social care — are struggling with a care system that’s costly, difficult to access, and too often not tailored to their needs.”

Hilary Evans, chief executive of Alzheimer’s Research UK, said: “This news highlights the enormous threat dementia poses, for both the public and for our already overstretched health and care workforce. As these figures show, unless urgent action is taken, dementia is set to place a huge and increasing burden on our healthcare system, and to blight millions of futures.

“With new treatments for Alzheimer’s disease — the leading cause of dementia — finally on the horizon, we are now in the strongest position yet to bring an end to the devastation this condition causes. Now we must keep up this momentum if we are to free individuals and society from the fear, harm and heartbreak of dementia.’’

Hope for treatments

Dementia is a general term for a set of symptoms caused by damage to nerve cells in the brain, including memory loss, confusion, loss of language and changes in behaviour. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common type, responsible for about two in three cases. There is no cure, but several new drugs can slow the progress of Alzheimer’s.

Trials show that two, donanemab and lecanemab, can slow memory decline and they have been hailed as the “beginning of the end” for the disease. Although they have not yet been approved for NHS use, the drugs could be widely available by 2040. But this would require a radical improvement in NHS diagnostic services, as the medications work best when patients are diagnosed early.

A Department of Health spokeswoman said: “We are providing £160 million a year by 2024-25 for dementia research to accelerate the development of the latest treatments and technology and our Major Conditions Strategy recognises not only the importance of tackling this disease but will set out the standards patients should expect at all stages of dementia care.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...tyles-7nq7w5qgm

A high carb diet and ultra processed foods have got a lot to answer for!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-23, 05:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi

Yes, and it led to statins, which are also fueling this horrifying surge.

Before dementia, how many adults struggle with brain fog, forgetfulness, lousy sleep, and rotten mood? At what ages?

We really are making ourselves stupider, long before then.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-23, 06:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Driven by poor wages!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-23, 07:32

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi

I believe that the vast consumption of seed oils has a lot of blame for dementia.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-23, 11:18

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 260/220/220 Male 6' 4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for posting this. I was of the opinion that the UK was ahead of the US when it came to exposing diet concerns. However, the Alzheimer’s Society referenced in this article has some disturbing information on their site.

Quote:
Some eating patterns are particularly helpful in protecting you against dementia such as the Mediterranean-style diet. Eating a Mediterranean-style diet doesn’t necessarily mean eating foods from Mediterranean countries. Instead, try to follow these guidelines.

• Include wholegrain starchy foods in most meals – for example, wholemeal bread, rice and pasta.
• Eat more fruits, vegetables, pulses (for example, beans, peas and lentils) and nuts and seeds.
• Eat less red meat – for example beef and lamb, and especially processed meats such as sausages and bacon.
• Eat fish regularly – particularly oily types like salmon and mackerel. However, try to limit eating battered or breaded fish which is high in unhealthy fat.
• Try to choose lower-fat dairy foods where possible.
• Use vegetable and plant oils for cooking and dressing – for example, olive oil and rapeseed oil. Try to avoid solid fats like butter, lard or ghee.
• Limit the amount of salt in your diet – try not to eat more than 6g (about a teaspoon) a day.
• Try to make sugary foods only occasional treats – such as pastries, sweets, biscuits, cakes and chocolate.
• Consume alcohol in moderation (ideally with food) – if you don’t drink alcohol already, try not to start.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about...her-dementias#2
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-28-23, 12:08

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred42
Thanks for posting this. I was of the opinion that the UK was ahead of the US when it came to exposing diet concerns. However, the Alzheimer’s Society referenced in this article has some disturbing information on their site.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about...her-dementias#2

Many health organizations relying on subsidies are still in the dark ages. Much of this is due to the fact that they want to continue to qualify for subsidies. Conflicts are essential in the non-profit health organization business for survival. Kinda steps all over any semblance of credibility.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-23, 04:32

BF:

All they have to do is make it confusing. When it's really NOT.

I'm starting to see separate strands knitting together in opposition. The science is coming in from several angles, and some of it is starkly obvious, that will appeal to people from their own experiences.

In the book Ultra Processed People, the premise is "fake food has bad effects that real food does not" and there been enough junk food awareness for that to catch hold.

Plant-based meats were a spectacular failure when they tried pushing it on people who want to eat "healthy" but not that much. Apparently the popularity of fake meats is based on the starving vegan market. They claim their food tastes great when I think it tastes like a lollipop stew.

People want to eat for health but have been scared away from animal products. And every child has been told vegetables are sooooooo good for you. Except factory farming has ruined those, too. Round UP absorbed into grains, poor soils that contribute little nutrition, and picked green so the toxins are at their highest, blocking the nutrients people eat them for.

This is what has driven me to eating less, but buying organic, because I get more from it. The super-cheap eggs are watery and do not satisfy. As with carbs, there's no point in eating such food, if it only leaves me hungry. And, in the US, I'm seeing less of such utterly low standard food. I think some regulations are actually being enforced, now

This is the whole thing of the manufactured food: none of it is real, and none of it is nourishing. No wonder everyone is nostalgic about "home cooking." It's better. It's tastier. It's why chains deep fry and highly spice everything.

At least now, I'm on the thin edge of the curve when it comes to "getting nutrition from plants" and I suspect I've always leaned that way. I say "now" because the more I unwittingly ate the wrong things in pursuit of health, the worse things got.

That's a realization that is coming for everyone in the Industrialized World. The rate of autoimmune has accelerated, and that is a huge, once much rarer, category.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-23, 11:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Driven by poor wages!

I think this is really an important point. Eating healthy foods is much easier when you've got enough money to do so. Organic produce and unprocessed proteins are not cheap. I'm in a comfortable position and even I won't buy red meat very often because of the expense. Good thing I love fish like tilapia, and chicken, and sometimes I can choke down sardines. Eggs are great too.

On top of being poor, they've often got to work extra hours or jobs and that leaves little to no time for meal prep. Pile kids into that and it becomes an impossible seeming task.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-29-23, 16:58

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think this is really an important point. Eating healthy foods is much easier when you've got enough money to do so. Organic produce and unprocessed proteins are not cheap. I'm in a comfortable position and even I won't buy red meat very often because of the expense. Good thing I love fish like tilapia, and chicken, and sometimes I can choke down sardines. Eggs are great too.

On top of being poor, they've often got to work extra hours or jobs and that leaves little to no time for meal prep. Pile kids into that and it becomes an impossible seeming task.

It was a struggle when we were suddenly in a situation where I needed to find work when I was almost age 60. I ended up working at a grocery store. The pay was slightly more than minimum wage, and the work was utterly exhausting, especially considering that I hadn't had a job where I needed to be on my feet all day since my 20's, and of course grocery stores have solid concrete under that thin layer of linoleum on the floor, so my old joints were aching by the end of the day too.

I wasn't really tempted by the carbs all around me since I'd been LC long enough by that point that they really didn't appeal to me.

But - I knew that if I could eat all those readily available starches and sugars that required little to no prep at all, it certainly would have been much easier AND cheaper.

As it was, I would be scrambling around to shop and cook enough cheap LC foods to last until the next time I had a day or two off. I rarely shopped at the store where I worked because not only was Aldi a good bit cheaper, the store where I worked was so big that it would have taken a lot more of my time off to shop for what I needed, when I was already tired and achy.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-23, 06:17

Plan: IF/Keto/80:20
Stats: 162/150/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

There’s another quite far out there theory about the link between Alzheimer’s and aluminium, which I report here without comment as it’s quite controversial. Geo-engineering, that is, spraying fine aluminium particles into the atmosphere to deflect the sun’s rays and reduce global warming; Spain and other governments have admitted doing this for a number of years. The question is, do the particles fall to earth, to then enter the soil, taken up by plants, eaten by livestock... is Alzheimer’s due in part to aluminium poisoning? Down the rabbit hole I go😊!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-23, 09:42

BF:

To me, UPF-4 food explains it all. At least, that is what our current science has the most solid evidence for, using brain scans.

Frankenfoods increase the appetite center, with cascade effects all through the digestive system, and now this shared control center for the entire body is out of alignment and gets more and more confused, creating a cascade of dysfunction where the most vulnerable organs go first.

High blood sugar, inflammation, nerves literally crushed by the swelling caused by high sugar intake.

Sugar Crush is a great book, by a doctor. And that's only ONE angle on the food problem.

It's 90% what we eat and statins make it worse.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-23, 09:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Sadly, dementia is preventable.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-23, 09:55

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalesbred
There’s another quite far out there theory about the link between Alzheimer’s and aluminium, which I report here without comment as it’s quite controversial. Geo-engineering, that is, spraying fine aluminium particles into the atmosphere to deflect the sun’s rays and reduce global warming; Spain and other governments have admitted doing this for a number of years. The question is, do the particles fall to earth, to then enter the soil, taken up by plants, eaten by livestock... is Alzheimer’s due in part to aluminium poisoning? Down the rabbit hole I go😊!

I'd heard the aluminum theory decades ago. Of course it hadn't progressed to the point of spraying fine aluminum particles into the air, because no one was really talking about global warming, which makes me curious as to how many years the spraying of aluminum particles to deflect heat from the sun has supposedly been going on.

The theories I heard back then had to do with the aluminum salts in deodorants/antiperspirants, which eventually resulted in people using deodorant "rocks"... which are essentially nothing more than the same aluminum salts in rock form (but without the fragrances, and moisturizing properties in antiperspirants).

Then I started hearing about cooking in aluminum pots and pans being a problem as it would leech aluminum into your food. Recent information seems to indicate it's really only a problem for acidic foods (such as tomato sauce).

All that to say that I'm not sure aluminum has anything to do with dementia or Alzheimer's at all.

My mother had dementia/Alzheimer's.

Her skin was too sensitive to use antiperspirants - she used a pinch of baking soda as her deodorant, so there goes the aluminum salts in deodorants theory.

Over the years, she had many different types of pots and pans - there were only a very few pots and pans that were aluminum - most were stainless steel. But she never ever cooked anything that was acidic like tomato sauce. (her digestive tract was extremely sensitive to vegetables, especially tomatoes)

If we go with the excessive carb theory of dementia/Alzheimers though, that fits my mom to-a-T. Lots of starches and sugars in her dit. No whole grains though, since her digestive system couldn't tolerate the fiber, but a good bit of fruit (usually peeled because the skins upset her digestive tract). Some veggies, but always cooked-to-death, because they were easier on her stomach. Lots of plain boiled potatoes (no skins), and white rice. Very little fat (another thing that her very sensitive digestive system didn't tolerate). She used to eat a reasonable amount of protein - until her doctor told her that she was eating far too much protein, then she cut back to the pitiful amount they recommended, and filled in with... you guess it, more carbs.

Her recipe file had several recipes in it for what she called "breakfast cake" - It was sort of like a carrot cake, only it had shredded zucchini instead of carrots in it. Lots of sugar, and some dried fruit. She did not frost her breakfast cake though, since that was too much fat (and would psychologically make it seem too much like she was eating dessert for breakfast), but the cake itself was loaded with sugars.

She used vegetable oils and margarine almost exclusively, with quite a bit of vegetable oil in those breakfast cakes. Very little butter in her diet, and rarely ate eggs, especially after the cholesterol theory of heart disease became more well known.

You also need to consider that she was almost 80 when she started to show the first minor signs of mental degeneration (she was still sharp as a tack in most ways though), was in her mid-80's before it became obvious her mental abilities were really going downhill, and passed away shortly before she would have turned 93, which is approximately the same age as her sisters were when they died, and about 5 years older than her mother was when she died.

I feel like I can pretty much rule out any aluminum connection to her dementia.

But I'm also not absolutely certain about the carb and seed oil connection to Alzheimer's - I mean a lot of people from previous generations developed the same kind of mental incapacitation if they lived long enough to reach the age when my mother started to show signs of mental decline.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I think people developing EARLY Alzheimer's is much more concerning.

A cousin of mine developed Alzheimer's in his early 50's, and died from that when he was 67.

He was also a long time vegetarian. Or perhaps he was what we now call vegan. He was several years older than me, and I don't think I saw him more than once after he reached adulthood, so I don't know whether he ever used eggs and dairy (which would have at the very least provided him with some complete proteins).

I just have vague memories of one time when he was pontificating about the excellent benefits of eating raisins while he was eating them by the handful, so for all I know, he may have been eating an all-raisin diet at that time.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-23, 18:50

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I've heard Alzheimer's called "Type 3 Diabetes" due to the sugar/insulin cause. I believe that was in Life Extension Magazine many years ago, when the were Life Extension ORG.

Once they became Life Extension COM, most of the articles are there just to sell supplements.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-23, 02:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I've heard Alzheimer's called "Type 3 Diabetes" due to the sugar/insulin cause. I believe that was in Life Extension Magazine many years ago, when the were Life Extension ORG.

Once they became Life Extension COM, most of the articles are there just to sell supplements.

Yes, I noticed the switchover. It seems to be a thing now, where somebody with cash buys an established business and runs it into the ground.

Con Artist Paradise. That's what has been created. I hope we get regulations enforced. For a change.