Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-23, 07:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default The Inflammation Syndrome: updated book

Original release in 2010 is now completely revised and updated. The Inflammation Syndrome: Your Nutrition Plan for Great Health, Weight Loss, and Pain-Free Living by Jack Challem

Quote:
Inflammation is what happens when our body′s own defenses turn on us - and it is a huge and growing problem. Written by the author of the groundbreaking Syndrome X, this essential updated edition of The Inflammation Syndrome draws on cutting-edge research conducted around the world to provide a revolutionary approach to healing inflammation-related problems through an easy-to-follow nutrition and supplement program.

Includes new recommendations for individualized diet and supplement plans
Presents fourteen steps for restoring dietary balance, plus recipes and menu plans
Reveals the powerful role inflammation plays in a wide variety of common health conditions from simple aches and pains to heart disease, obesity, diabetes, arthritis, asthma, and athletic injuries
Features dramatic case histories and the latest information on dosage recommendations for anti–inflammation supplements such as fish oils, vitamins, and herbs
Other books by Jack Challem: Syndrome X, The Food–Mood Solution, Feed Your Genes Right, and Stop Prediabetes Now

It's coming soon on my Scribd app, though I intend to skim it, since I agree with the reviewer who noted an over-dependence on antioxidants. I've become wary of them myself. For a few years I fought my inflammation that way, but radically changing my eating plan was what let me lower my use of supplements and herbs, including adaptogens. That's my essential veggies at this moment! I only use those I can "feel" working. And I use 1/4 teaspoon when I do. So far, that's only Arctic Root and Morning Glory root, but Marshmallow root looks promising.

Went to google, which is biased towards plants: use another search engine! But even with the bias, that's honest in bold.

Quote:
Is there any science behind antioxidants?

Antioxidant Supplements: What You Need To Know | NCCIH
Our bodies have preventive and repair mechanisms that regulate oxidative stress pathways. Research has shown that antioxidant enzymes are the most important components of this defense system. Phytochemicals that act as antioxidants may also play a role in helping regulate oxidative stress pathways.

That's the best they can do. It's not enough. Adaptogens are herbs which have been used for centuries. They have a different mechanism which has been shown in studies.

Will give my own review after I check it out. But inflammation is a very big deal to our health, and I usually get something from such reading.

For instance, I don't agree with Dr. Landry, The Plant Doctor, but he gave me good info about lectins. I need to avoid them!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-23, 08:01

BF:

For instance, the latest I heard, fish oil supplements don't work nearly as well as eating fish.

It really is about The Matrix. The one that makes a food recognized as food by our body. (Ultra-Processed People) Which means certain levels of processing will still work, and we can combine them with real food for bioavailability. Like yogurt and whey powder.

And no one eats whey powder alone.

That's the essential problem with supplements, stretching all the way back to the Vitamin A failure.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-23, 08:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Eating fish is fresh. Not rancid oils. The capsules can become rancid. I know when the fish is fresh.

Besides, krill is harvested for the pill form. Some blame the over harvesting of krill for the drop in penguin population. Krill is base of their food chain.

I make myself eat fish. Not perfect. But more than I used to eat.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-31-23, 08:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Another danger with supplements..is how much is too much?

Nutrients: Could You Be Getting Too Much of a Good Thing (from Supplements and Fortification)?
https://optimisingnutrition.com/too-much-nutrients/

The latest with my supplementing Vit D for cancer prevention is too high a level not good for bone health. I also agree about eating fish is better than dosing with Omega 3 supplements (they turn rancid, lose potency, etc)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-01-23, 03:31

BF:

I supplement my D3/K2 once a week, at bedtime, so it doesn't interfere with the calcium. And I'm probably on the high end of getting it from food, as dairy is my "other white meat." And I can't get enough.

So, considering that the whole "calcium from plants" isn't actually true, supplementing minerals becomes an issue. Because we are ruining our soils with industrial crop practices and fleeing actual animal products.

Now that I know I was driving my digestive system to leaky gut from what I ate, I'm probably getting more nutrients than before. But they were dismissing D at all at the turn of THIS century, so really... they might not know as much as they think they do.

When I was desperately supplementing, there was at least a scientific rationale. I was in menopause, needed estrogen, and their pills did not work. I was having panic attacks, from cortisol resistance, and their pills didn't work. (Three tries and I was FINISHED.)

I needed estrogen and L-theanine, not their useless pills. Supplements are better than pills, especially if one is dealing with an actual lack.

Like when I was losing my memory, sleeping four hours a night if I was lucky, and felt on the verge of taking an axe to something because my nervous system was screaming, they tried to talk me into Prozac.

I said, with flames shooting from my eyes, "If I have an endocrine problem, I want an endocrine solution."

And they were WRONG. Wrong to take my endocrine pills away, and then wrong to take advantage of my body screaming from the lack.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-23, 11:25

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
And no one eats whey powder alone.
I do (unflavoured with water for breakfast).
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-23, 02:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
I do (unflavoured with water for breakfast).

Well, you use WATER