Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Sep-02-20, 09:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Looked on line to see if hard copy is available yet. Not sure it will be, but had to look.

The e-copy is no longer availavble. ????
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 12:17

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Can the "Malhotra Method" really cut your Covid risk?

Dr Tarek S Arab weighs up the science behind Aseem Malhotra's bestselling book....

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articl...our-covid-risk/

Quote:
A recent book published by Dr. Aseem Malhotra, already on the Sunday Times bestseller list, claims that within 21 days, people with obesity or who fall on the spectrum of metabolic disease, can reduce their susceptibility to SARS-COV2 infection severity by following this simple formula: “eat real food, move, relax, sleep”.

A rather bold claim to make, considering that the UK death toll from SARS-COV2 infection currently stands at around 41,500. A provocative, editor-selected headline that was subsequently replaced suggested that this was ‘the best vaccine”, and predictably produced a spirited, nuanced and reasoned reaction on Twitter.

The question one has to ask is: is there any evidence, for this claim? Is the “Malhotra method” the solution, or are his more strident critics justified in their passionate skepticism?
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 17:14

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
The question one has to ask is: is there any evidence, for this claim? Is the “Malhotra method” the solution, or are his more strident critics justified in their passionate skepticism?

What's the alternative to trying an *unconventional preventive diet? Just wait it out, nervously scarfing down whatever junk you've been eating, worrying about catching the Rona, and hoping that you don't catch it before an effective vaccine is available, while praying that if you do catch it, you somehow manage to get a mild case, despite having metabolic syndrome?

(*unconventional, by today's "mountains of carbs for 3 meals and 3 snacks every day" standards)
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-20, 17:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im still concerned the vaccine will be no more effective than the flu vaccine.

We effectively wiped out polio with a vaccine, but SARS-COVID is NOT polio.

Im putting my hands in my health. What I can see of the Malhotra plan, its light years ahead of the junk everyone around the world is scarfing down.

However, the keto crowd know the value of low carb and very low carb.

If the world ate the 21 day plan, the world would be in a better place. Im going a few steps better. And we know what that is....

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Sep-08-20 at 07:15.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-20, 07:00

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
But the biggest problem I have with that part of his diet is... where's the meat? What about eggs? Chicken? Lamb, Pork, Beef? Is he only allowing fish as a protein source? And if he's only allowing fish, does that mean he's only allowing 3 servings of protein weekly?

This is what struck me right away, too. Granted, I skimmed the article, but it seemed too plant-based for me. Plus, I can't eat fibrous veggies, especially raw. I tried a plant-based keto diet on the strong recommendation of my (vegan) doc at the time, and within a week I'd had a flare-up of diverticulitis that required heavy antibiotics to get through. Veggies are not the be-all and end-all for everyong.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-20, 09:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

His Pioppi Diet would not work for me. I suggested the same when Malhotra and Donal O'Neill came out with the documentary. That it's a more defined version of the very loosely-defined Mediterranean diet means that it may appeal to those who still believe that red meat and saturated fats are unhealthy and has the potential to be adopted by those people. For anyone eating a SAD based diet, it will be an improvement. However, I'm very suspicious of the inference that it can completely protect one from viral pandemics by reducing inflammation.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-20, 14:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Half measures only get you halfway.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-20, 17:53

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

It's certainly not what I would consider to be ideal either, and the inclusion of some of those foods would have me going off the rails, scarfing down everything in sight.

I agree that half-measures will only get you halfway. But at this point, with so many people's lives and future health on the line, it's certainly far better than what so many people are currently eating, and it's still going to be a huge change compared to the fast food/ultra processed/junk food based diet a lot of people eat on a daily basis.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-20, 18:06

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thank you Demi! Will wait for the hard copy edition.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-20, 18:11

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:
Progress: 52%

I just went on amazon. It won’t be published in the U,S. Until next May. Oh well, it’s now on my amazon wish list!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 11:36

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Boosting Immunity and Reducing COVID Risk with Dr. Aseem Malhotra

In an email from Aseem Malhotra:

Quote:
A real deep science and personal dive here interviewed by family medicine MD Julie Foucher, whose Pursuing Health podcast is one of the most successful and popular in the US

In this episode we discuss:

Dr. Malhotra’s background in cardiology and how he became involved in health activism
Why personal responsibility is only a very small factor in the epidemic of chronic disease
How obesity and metabolic health have affected the COVID pandemic
The markers of metabolic health
The link between immunity and metabolic health
Lifestyle factors that optimize the response to vaccines
A broad overview of things we can do to improve our immunity
10 key points for policy makers to address metabolic syndrome on a grand scale
Three things Dr. Malhotra does on a regular basis that have the biggest positive impact on his health
One thing he struggles to implement that could have a big impact on his health
What a healthy life looks like to Dr. Malhotra

https://pursuing-health.com/ep-164-...uRfFlvYrSFB81eg

#42   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 12:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Alcohol also suppresses the immune system. I've cut way, way back on having a bit of wine. Maybe once every 8 weeks I have a very diluted wine cocktail.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 12:13

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Another good find, Demi. Very valuable discussion in this podcast hosted by Dr. Julie Foucher with Dr. Malhotra as guest. Some good observations where during our current Covid19 crisis, the authorities have spent very little time on educating people on how to improve their immune functions or providing information related to metabolic health and its protective potential, which has a foundational role in the human immune system. As acknowledged in the podcast, this knowledge gap is due greatly to lack of knowledge particularly by the medical doctors/ epidemiologists managing this crisis. Good stuff that should be shared.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Oct-06-20, 12:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I actually bought this book (Kindle version) on Sept. 18 but didin't get around to reading it until last night. Since it's only 88 pages long it's not a long read! Most of the book is pretty much "preaching to the choir" for folks here, and not that much new information. But in the FAQ this is what he had to say about meat:

#45   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-20, 11:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

My autoimmune condition improved so dramatically on a diet of grass-fed beef I no longer care what the red-meat-phobic have to say...