Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-16, 18:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Amen to that. There are still many experts in advisory roles who need to be educated. I was at a business dinner the other night sitting across from a gentleman whose daughter is a registered dietician. As we discussed nutrition, he informed those of us at the table that according to his daughter, the most poisonous food to be avoided is red meat. I'm tucking into a delicious NY Strip and he's eating salmon as he's telling us this. There's no debate in this case as the "expert" has spoken. Sheesh!

Nothing as dramatic as that statement but it seems that there is almost always someone around making statements about how they are eating "healthy" and then describing some kind of lean meat low fat way of eating. I really have to bite my tongue because from experience I know that no one really wants to listen to my alternative views. It happened last night and I started to say something and caught myself. I'm trying only to offer my opinion when someone asks for it.

Jean
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-16, 07:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Victory for Teicholz in "The Battle of Butter" by Marika Sboros.

http://foodmed.net/2016/12/04/victo...-of-butter-bmj/
  #123   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-16, 14:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Nothing as dramatic as that statement but it seems that there is almost always someone around making statements about how they are eating "healthy" and then describing some kind of lean meat low fat way of eating.

I have lost track of the number of people who happily tell me they are "eating healthier," and go on to tell me about their whole grain/tofu/dried-fruit-it's-my-candy! extravaganza.

They think they are healthy because they only eat meat twice a month and call themselves "practically vegetarian" and I have to smile politely.
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-16, 07:07

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default BMJ refuses to recant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Victory for Teicholz in "The Battle of Butter" by Marika Sboros.

http://foodmed.net/2016/12/04/victo...-of-butter-bmj/

Janet, thank for posting this. i have posted it on Twitter but i don't have a large enough following to get much attention. But it's still worth a try.

I have just posted it on Face Book too. Hope someone reads it.

Last edited by Benay : Tue, Dec-06-16 at 08:14. Reason: Adding another comment
  #125   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 08:06

Nina's talk on Food Politics recorded at LC Breckinridge now posted: https://youtu.be/FXjB-5-uzuw
A good intro to the politics how we got dietary guidelines, but only 35 minutes, an overview.
  #126   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 12:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good talk by Nina that needs to be heard by many. We discuss these issues often here, but we're aware and invested. Those in the general population who listen to the media and the "experts" are sheltered from this information. Becoming an advocate is one way to chip away at the shadows hiding this information from all. The irony here is that the statistics on our present health issues all stemming from Metabolic Syndrome and having increased tremendously since the late 70s upon the advent of McGovern's food pyramid are clear indicators of the problem. How can people including the medical community remain so naive regarding this? Once you pay attention to this information, it's like getting hit between the eyes with a 2x4!!!
  #127   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 13:29

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Good talk by Nina that needs to be heard by many. We discuss these issues often here, but we're aware and invested. Those in the general population who listen to the media and the "experts" are sheltered from this information. Becoming an advocate is one way to chip away at the shadows hiding this information from all. The irony here is that the statistics on our present health issues all stemming from Metabolic Syndrome and having increased tremendously since the late 70s upon the advent of McGovern's food pyramid are clear indicators of the problem. How can people including the medical community remain so naive regarding this? Once you pay attention to this information, it's like getting hit between the eyes with a 2x4!!!

I agree, good talk. It's hard for me to believe, knowing what I know, that people don't get this. I truly appreciate people like Nina Teicholz who stick their necks out to get the word out there.

Jean
  #128   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 15:34

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Not only do grains destroy the soul.... But I am not eating more meat than I did before. The way this WOE rolled out for me, I eat more veggies and more fats, especially fish, avocado, and olives (and their oils). If anything, the impact of this way of eating is less, not more.
  #129   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 05:05

Not Nina on the DGA...but Adele Hite.
Wanted to keep these two nutritional experts on the DGA in the same post because Adele refers to comments from Nina and others from the Nutrition Colalition. Also Willett, Hu.

Her post on: is there or not a limit on Dietary Fat in the DGA?
Alternative Fa(c)ts?
https://eathropology.com/2017/05/06/alternative-facts/

At the end, links to recent talks, podcasts with Adele.