Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-13, 08:57

Plan: Keto
Stats: 330/330/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I need a quit smoking journal!

So my lowcarb journal was a great place for me to vent and whine about getting back on low carb and the challenges that entailed. While I am not quite back on the lowcarb wagon quite yet (want at least a week smoke free first) I am planning on getting there soon. I do not want to fill up my low carb journal with a ton of nicotine addiction crap so I am hoping that no one will mind my little side "journal" here in the quit smoking section.

So today was my first day back on the quit smoking boat. I have been smoke free for up to 10 months in the past and sorely miss that. I can not tell you how long I have been smoking this time...since February...but I think I quit for a bit maybe 3 months, I just can not remember. I am quitting "smart" turkey as whyquit likes to call it, but even knowing what I have learned from that site I hurt. I am so tempted to go home right now and steal a smoke from my honey, I know he does not mean to tempt me so strongly but buying me a pack when I am quitting is just mean.

I have been working all day so I am tired, my defences are low and it is time to face my biggest challenge of the day. How can I get through a dungeon (World of Warcraft) without my faithful friend to accompiny me outside to celebrate after we beat the big baddy? How can I cuddle and then watch honey go outside to spend time with our close friend when I will not go with him? I know intellectually that nicotine is nothing more than a crutch that is slowly sucking the life out of me as I suck the smoke out of it...but remembering that in a moment of "need" is so much harder than you would think.

For some reason being at work isn ot so bad. I can distract ymself so easily. But now it is time to go home and I am so scared that I am going to screw up again like I have the last week of trying. Sorry for the length but I just needed someone to talk to.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-13, 10:11

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 160/130/116 Female 61 inches - 5ft 1"
BF:32.8/19/15
Progress: 68%

Im so with you there, My husband smokes. I quit for 2 years, been smoking again for a year and im on week 6 of no smoking.
At work no problem, and after a few weeks him smoking outside dont bother me. But social situations when we are drinking still bother me. I know another few weeks time i will get past that bit, but right now its murder.
I had 2 drags on friday night and spent all saturday day time fighting the battle in my head. Just 2 drags made me crave all day. Nicotine is evil and way more addictive than heroine. It should be banned.
Just dont do it, when he goes for one, have a mint. When he comes back in you smell nice and he smells, well yuck.
You want to be minty fresh and not yuck right?
Keep up the good work, stay strong and think how good it feels saying no i dont smoke......i love being able to say that.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-13, 23:25

BF:

Just woke up so that makes day 1 smoke free. I talked to honey yesterday about offering me smokes and he has been really surreptitious about going out and making sure to tempt me as little as possible. Actually took your advice before even reading your post haha, we keep mints by our computers and as he would walk outside for a smoke I would grab a mint...they are super yummy.

Ugh my throat is sore today always is after a day or two not smoking and my nose is so clogged breathing is a chore but I know that it is just my body healing just have to hang out for a week or so and the sore throat should go away. Going to a friends today who smokes, could I tempt myself anymore? I guess get rid of those triggers fast and often right? *sigh*

Day two here I come.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-13, 13:15

Here's to day 2
I've got to get through a night out on Saturday. Everyone I'm going with smokes. I think it takes a long time to not be tempted, too long!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-13, 12:52

BF:

Congrats on getting though your night out that is wonderful!

I was able to get through all of day 2...although I was convinced I was dying, nearly begged honey for one but he told me no and that cut through the mess that was my brain enough to get me back on track. Day 3 was much better, I had a few little cravings and one big one, but nursed my orange juice for a few minutes and was back to normal. So excited that I am over the "worst" day. I will try to update daily until day 7 (doing great so fa *sarcasm*) but day 4 here we go.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-13, 11:39

BF:

So I am at the end of day 5 and still clean as a whistle. Had a serious coughing fit last night and realized I never want to smoke again. Trying to let my body recover from the abuse I have put it through hurts! Rewarded myself with a yummy enchilada soup from the forum here yum. I went all day without a single coke too so I am super proud of myself Although I did have a bit of chocolate that was divine. Still not on low carb but I am working on it. The soup was low carb...lunch was low carb chicken pizza. Snacked on beef jerky. Slowly but surely. Ok on to day 6.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-13, 12:49

Well done you, nearly a whole week under your belt. Next week will be easier & then it's a matter of counting weeks, then months & not days.
I got through a night of drinking last night without smoking. Although I'm into week 8 of no smoking it's my first time drinking & not sneaking just the one.
Felt proud this morning I managed it
We can do this, one day at a time!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-13, 06:58

BF:

I...am a failure at posting on time or even on a semiresonable time table. Regardless I am still smoke free. I am a success on that end of things. I am 2 months clean, and finally feel ready to restart my low carb. Quitting was one of the hardest things I have ever done. and yet also one of the best. I am still dealing with the ungodly amount of snot that keeps my nose stopped up but it is getting better. I rarely have trouble breathing and I can not wait for things to continue to improve
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-13, 07:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Congratulations!!!!!

You DID IT!!!!!!

And remember....."just one" and you will be addicted again.

I know the cravings because I quit smoking in 2002.

Thinks to help you: losenges (cough drops) and sweet tarts (the large ones) help kill cravings. A cup of hot tea or a whole, cold cucumber are easy, emergency fixes. You can eat a whole gallon of Sugar-free jello and it won't hurt you.

And if you should fall off of the wagon (dieting or smoking cessation), just climb back on. I had numerous false starts before it finally STUCK. Eventually it will stick for you, too.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-14, 05:26

BF:

I am not certain if anyone is interesting in this, but I am still going strong. I have had a few small cravings but for the most part things are going well. Over 10 months this time, and my new love interest has never smoked so it should be even easier to stay clean. If you are having trouble quiting maybe this will motivate you....it can be done. It sucks and it hurts but it is worth it. Even more worth it than my nearly 50 lbs of weight loss so far has been. I can breathe. I can move. I am free of nicotine and could not be happier about it. Never stinking up another car, never spending more money than I have to support my nasty habit. It really is a wonderful feeling.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-14, 06:04
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaby
I am not certain if anyone is interesting in this, but I am still going strong. I have had a few small cravings but for the most part things are going well. Over 10 months this time, and my new love interest has never smoked so it should be even easier to stay clean. If you are having trouble quiting maybe this will motivate you....it can be done. It sucks and it hurts but it is worth it. Even more worth it than my nearly 50 lbs of weight loss so far has been. I can breathe. I can move. I am free of nicotine and could not be happier about it. Never stinking up another car, never spending more money than I have to support my nasty habit. It really is a wonderful feeling.

Holy Hannah, you are doing so well on both fronts. You are AMAZING!!

I'm a wimp! I worked on losing the weight and now I'm in maintenance, but I seriously need to quit smoking as well. For me personally, losing the weight is easier than to quit smoking... I have so many triggers/habits that make me smoke. Okay the habits don't make me smoke, but you know what I mean.

Did you use any quit smoking aids? I know in our state they give away free patches...

Any help or advise you can give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Jo =]
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-14, 22:03

BF:

Haha I takled one thing at a time. I knew quiting smoking would be harder so started there I did not use quit smoking aids, I used a website called whyquit.com. There is a link on there about how to quit and why it works the way it does. He explains that when you quit smoking with stop smoking aids (gum, losenges, whatever) you are providing your body with enough nicotine to give yourself withdrawls but not enough to satiate the true nicotine habit. Meaning you stay in a painful state of withdrawls until you give up the aid as well for 3 days. Many people who quit with aids end up addicted to those, or even smoking with the aid adding even more nicotine to what it takes to give them the high. If you quit cold it takes 3 days and then the withdrawls begin to receed. Those first three days suck, the worst. After that you are just battling the mental addiction.

My mother tried chantix, after seeing her take it I refused. She had horrible nightmares, and the rate of suicide on chantix is astounding. Smoking will kill you slowly but chantix might make you kill yourself. That was the way I viewed it at least. Do not get me wrong, she was off cigs realyl quickly, the chantix made them taste horrible, but the risks always seemed to high to me.

Welbutrin has also been used to quit smoking in the past, but I could not quit with it. While the cigs tasted icky I still wanted the high, I just was not really ready to quit at that time.

The biggest thing for me to quit smoking was persistance, and more persistance. I quit smoking every single day until it finally stuck. I knew I only had to get through 3 days....does not seem like long I can do anything for 3 days right? By the time the 3 days were over, it was...well I can do 3 more days right? There were times I thought I can make it one more minute, one more second...but for the most part it was all about getting through those first 3 days. I devoured the whyquit website, the layout kind of sucks but there really is a ton of good information there.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 17:55

Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

I am curious - did you notice any weight gain when you quit? I'm starting to think I'm ready, but TERRIFIED to gain back any of the weight I tried so hard to lose.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 19:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

In the scale of things, smoking is far, far worse for you than gaining a few pounds.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-14, 19:11

Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
In the scale of things, smoking is far, far worse for you than gaining a few pounds.

I know. It's just one of those crazy fears that is in the back of my mind. I'm pretty sure that's what stops me from actually quitting. I didn't start losing weight until I was told I was pre-diabetic. That scared me. So far smoking hasn't scared me. Everyone in my family smokes and no one has had any health issues or died from smoking related issues. I just need to kick myself and do it. If I can find at least one story where someone didn't gain weight from quitting I will feel better.