Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#421   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 05:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I am almost as excited as Sarah. The EveryDay Paleo cookbook is now being carried by Costco nationwide! http://everydaypaleo.com/

An indication of how mainstream Paleo is becoming, and Costco is known for how exacting their management decisions are made before stocking any new item. My absolute favorite recipe in this book is the Chicken with Sun Dried Tomatoes. Mainly because it is dump a jar of sun dried tomatoes over chicken and bake! http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/03/09...o-chicken-bake/
Most of the recipes in the cookbook are still on-line.
Sponsored Links
  #422   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-12, 20:37

Plan: Divinely Mine
Stats: 223.8/222.8/170.0 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 2%

Well, at the end of all this..... I'll be cooking a lot tomorrow! Thanks all. I will post (hopefully) one as soon as I figure one out.
  #423   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-12, 08:09
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Paleo Eggs Benedict (minus the bun)

Man, my experiment for breakfast this morning came out amazingly good! So easy, too, as everything was already made but the scrambled egg itself. So it looks like I’ve found yet another great use for my Shawarma Salad Dressing recipe. The versatility of this mayo/dressing just continues to astound me! Despite the fact that all previous attempts to incorporate cauliflower into omelets and quiches have proven to be pretty awful in my opinion, THIS experiment was absolutely delicious!! I had a large amount of steamed, buttered cauliflower leftover from dinner last night and wanted to try this homemade dressing on it, but adding some of my husband's morning eggs today as well, something similar to my Eggs with Tarragon Sauce recipe that we just adore. Well, it came out JUST as good as THAT recipe! I think I’ll even have this sauce atop cauliflower as a vegetable side dish, without the egg sometime as well!! Nice flavor combination! This extremely nutritious breakfast or lunch is suitable for Atkins Induction and my Primal/Paleo readers as well.

INGREDIENTS:

1 large egg, beaten
½ T. unsalted butter
½ c. cooked, seasoned cauliflower
2 T. (more if you like Shawarma Salad Dressing: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/0...salad-dressing/
Sprinkle of cayenne for garnish (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Scramble your egg in the melted butter as usual. Place the cooked, heated cauliflower onto your serving plate. Dip the Shawarma Salad Dressing over the top and serve. Sprinkle with a pinch of cayenne for garnish and spunk if you’re so inclined.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 serving which contains:

332 calories
31.3 g fat
4.3 g carbs, 2.2 g fiber, 2.1 g NET CARBS
10.4 g protein
374 mg sodium
213 mg potassium
23% RDA Vitamin A, 25% B6, 90% B12, 47% C, 14% D, 32% E, 23% copper, 41% iron, 10% magnesium, 10% manganese, 50% phosphorous, 76% riboflavin, 97% selenium, 13% thiamin and 26% zinc
  #424   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-12, 08:52

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Just subscribing

Want to keep track of this thread!
  #425   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-12, 12:12
Patience Personified

Default Chicken al Pesto

I whipped this up for lunch today and it was REAL good. I did it on stir-fried cabbage, but you could put it atop other things if you prefer:

Today’s lunch was a quick (under 10 minutes if using already cooked chicken), easy, and delightful surprise! It was sort of a cross between a curry and an Alfreddo dish. Very delicious! This could also be served atop cooked cauliflower, zucchini noodles, lightly stir-fried cabbage, like I did (which turned out to be a very good choice for this dish), or if you eat them, I think it would be very good on shirataki tofu noodles. This dish would be suitable for Atkins Induction or for Paleo eating. I used red palm oil to saute my chicken in, thus it gave it the distinctive yellow color you see in the pic. If you use olive oil or coconut oil, the sauce will be white.

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. skinless chicken breast
1 T. red palm oil (or oil of your choice)
Dash crushed red pepper
2 T. pesto sauce (I make mine homemade)
½ c. coconut milk
¼-½ water (or chicken stock if you prefer)
Dash sea salt

DIRECTIONS: Cut up chicken into bite sized pieces. I actually used a baked leftover chicken breast. In a heated non-stick skillet, saute the chicken in the oil until it begins to brown and is fully done. Add the crushed red pepper and pesto sauce. Lower heat. Add the coconut milk, just enough water to achieve the thickness you like and the dash of salt. Simmer on low while you prepare the sauteed cabbage or whatever you plant to serve this on. If it gets too thick, thin with a little more water stirred in. Serve atop your vegetable or “noodle” substitute of choice.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 servings, each contains (not including the cabbage or base you decide to serve this on)

520 calories
40 g fat
5.1 g carbs, 2.1 g fiber, 3.0 g NET CARBS
37 g protein
543 mg sodium
445 mg potassium
46% RDA Vitamin B6, 15% B12, 10% E, 30% copper, 31% iron, 19% magnesium, 41% manganese, 113% niacin, 48% phosphorous, 11% riboflavin, 64% selenium, 9% thiamin and 20% zinc

NOTE: This sauce was soooo good on the cabbage, I'm thinking about trying it without the chicken some time as a vegetable side dish only
  #426   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-12, 11:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Mark Sisson mentioned a Paleo Recipe App on his weekend love link. 400 recipes to take with you for travel. You don't have to join unless you want to create meal plans etc....I just scrolled through the recipe database...some yummy ideas:

Check out this application on the App Store (also for androids):
myKitchen - Primal Palate
Primal Palate, LLC
Category: Food & Drink
Updated: Aug 14, 2012
  #427   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-12, 18:12
Patience Personified

Default Paleo Pot Pie

I was wanting to use some leftover baked chicken breast meat for dinner tonight and my husband voted for chicken pot pie. I have a pot pie recipe on my site already that is Atkins suitable, but it has Carbquick in it and therefore I can no longer eat that one. I told hubby “I don’t think I can do that and stay true to my new Paleo way of eating.” Then I thought about it a few minutes and realized I just might be able to pull it off so that it would be tasty and at the same time, satisfy his desire for one of his comfort foods. AND I DID! MIKEY LIKED IT!!!! Wasn’t that hard really. This dish is suitable for anyone who is at the nuts and seeds rung of the Atkins OWL ladder or who follows a Paleo-Primal program. The nutritional stats below are very impressive, making it a most nutritious dinner! This would also be good made with turkey or rabbit.

FILLING INGREDIENTS:

2 c. homemade chicken stock
1 1/3 c. carrot, diced
1 1/3 c. red radishes, diced
½ c. red bell pepper, diced
1½ c. green beans, cooked and chopped a bit
½ tsp. red palm oil (for yellow color)
2 c. chicken breast, cooked, diced
½ tsp. glucomannan (Konjac) powder (or your favorite thickener)
Dash black pepper
3 T. coconut cream
3 T. homemade mayo
Dash olive oil to grease baking dish

TOPPING INGREDIENTS:

1 c. almond flour
2 T. butter
1 whole egg
1 T. coconut cream or coconut milk

DIRECTIONS: Pour chicken stock into 4 qt. saucepan. Add diced carrot and radish. Bring to boil and simmer until almost tender. Add bell pepper and cook until it is just softened a bit. Turn off fire and add chopped green beans. Dust the glucomannan powder (or whatever thickener you prefer) evenly over the broth and stir quickly to disperse into the sauce. Sauce should begin to thicken right up. Add black pepper and stir to blend all ingredients. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease an 8×11 baking dish with a bit of olive oil and pour chicken filling into the dish. Set aside while you make the topping.

In a small bowl, measure the almond flour. With a fork, beat in the soft butter, then the egg and finally the coconut cream or coconut milk. It will form a medium thick dough. With the fork and a spoon, drop small dots of the dough evenly all over the top of the chicken filling. Pop into the preheated 350º oven for about 40 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned on top. This is nice served with a green salad. ENJOY!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 5 nice 1¼ cup servings, each containing:

426 calories
33 g fat
12.5 g carbs, 5.56 g fiber, 6.94 g NET CARBS
24.3 g protein
436 mg sodium (less if there is no salt in your broth)
475 mg potassium
58% Vitamin A, 33% B6, 31% B12, 45% C, 15% E, 16% copper, 37% iron, 11% magnesium, 13% manganese, 48% niacin, 34% phosphorous, 30% riboflavin, 48% selenium, 17% zinc

This came out VERY good and I will most definitely be making it again! Hope you folks like it!
  #428   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-12, 09:21

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wow, Paleo has changed since the last time I was here! Here I am eating things like fresh eggs, wild greens, and whole (skin on) chickens.

I fear that for newcomers to the movement, confusion will be the modus operendi. Sigh.
  #429   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 18:29

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:

I want to do this way of eating,sounds like me .
  #430   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 22:55

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

Caramelized Green Beans and Peppers
(I usually just throw these together, so measurements are approximate)
- about 4 cups green beans
- 1/4 cup sliced/diced red peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced/diced onion (I prefer red/purple)
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO (or coconut oil, but I prefer EVOO for this recipe)
- fresh garlic/salt/pepper to taste

1. Add oil to pan and turn on med-high

2. Add green beans and cook for 7-10 mins, or until el dente

3. Add onions and peppers to top of beans, and increase heat to high (to brown the beans)

4. Flip every few minutes until dish is evenly/fully browned
  #431   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 23:05

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

Feta-topped Salmon Fillets

Again, not EXACT/precise amounts, but I really like this recipe, b/c it's so simple and you can adjust it for 1 serving or 8!

- 4-5 oz salmon fillets, with skin
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- crumbled feta cheese
- Roma tomatoes, sliced

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F

2. Drizzle about 1 TBSP of EVOO onto each [4-5 oz]salmon fillet

3. Add about 1 oz feta cheese onto each [4-5 oz]salmon fillet

4. Slice roma tomatoes and lace about 3-4 slices on each fillet

5. Bake for about 18-22 minutes, until flakey. (varies per oven)
  #432   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-12, 04:55

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Default Pork Rillettes, aka Pig Jam

Made this over the weekend. Oh, man, is this amazing. It's fatty pork, rubbed with spices and salt, then braised in its own fat, mashed, mixed into a rough pate with the cooking fat, and then eaten. I got the pork shoulder and fat from a local farmer who raises some really happy pigs who are pastured and even forested (to hunt for acorns and hickory nuts and occasional local truffle)

What's great is to eat it with the small, pickled cucumbers called cornichons, or anything pickled to cut the richness of the fatty, meaty goodness.

I rendered the fat in my slow cooker and rubbed the pork shoulder on Saturday. I then cooked the rillettes in my slow cooker on Sunday.

Based it on a recipe from Food and Wine online.
2 teaspoons allspice berries
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Kosher salt
3 pounds trimmed boneless pork butt, cut into 2-inch pieces
5 thyme sprigs, 1 sprig rosemary, tied together to take out after cooking.
6 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 quart+ rendered pork fat, melted
Dash of port wine (optional)
Dash of sherry vinegar (optional)

Grind allspice, peppercorns and coriander. Add cinnamon, and 1/4 cup salt. Toss well with the pork. Add garlic and massage into the meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Next day, bring pork to room temperature, melt fat and add both to slow cooker. Add rosemary and thyme springs, making sure as much as possible is under the fat. Cook on low with the lid just slightly ajar (to let out any water) for 4-6 hours until meat is tender.

Spoon out the meat and let cool slightly. Strain the lard through a cheesecloth and reserve. Using your hands, smash and separate the pork taking out any gristle. What you're looking for here is a rough paste made of short fibers of meat held together with fat. Add the cup or so of the cooking fat and keep on kneading the mixture. Tradition sometimes calls for two forks, but your hands work so much better and you can feel the occasional piece of gristle better.

I added a dash of port wine and a dash of sherry vinegar at this point and it worked very well, but they're optional. Have fun with it!

Pack into a glass or ceramic crock, or small individual jars, crocks or ramekins. Refrigerate and once it sets up, melt some of the fat until hot, and pour 1/2 or so over the pork to seal and preserve it.

Sealed this will last in the fridge for several months (like it has the slightest possibility of not being eaten for that long). This is a traditional means of preserving pork over the winter. You can also freeze it and it will last much longer. This makes great gifts, is easy, fairly cheap and very tasty. Enjoy!
  #433   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-12, 09:39

BF:

A great way to eat...
  #434   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-13, 19:57

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 208/140/140 Male 1,70
BF:
Progress:

In these cold winter months, nothing is better than a nice hot meal. To get your mouth watering, we’d thought by starting the recipe section off with a classic: a good chili recipe. Enjoy!

Ingredients

1/2 medium diced yellow onion
3 stalks diced celery
2 cloves sliced garlic
1-3/4 lb ground bison
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons sea salt (optional)
2 tablespoons thyme
1 jar salsa (12 oz)
1 can diced tomatoes (8 oz)
1 can mild green chiles (7 oz)
1 Tbs coconut oil, tallow, bacon grease, or lard

Instructions

Heat a soup pot over medium to high heat. Add the coconut oil when the pan is hot.
Add onions, celery and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent, approx 3 or 4 minutes.
Then add the ground bison, cumin, thyme and chili powder
Stir it for about 5 to 6 minutes
Pour in salsa, tomatoes, green chiles and salt.
Let it simmer for approx 1 hour.

For these and more recipes, take a look at the paleorecipesforyou website!

enjoy.
  #435   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 08:33

BF:

This particular recipe sounds good. The site, however, would have many Paleo enthusiasts shaking their heads.

If you're going to advertise on this forum, you must be prepared for scrutiny, and possible negative press. Particularly if you are attempting to combine an idea of "Paleo" with mainstream blather.