Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 19:17

Plan: Mix and match
Stats: 215/215/145
BF:
Progress:
Default I'm starting today,

Hello all:

I'm have been "trying" to do low carb for about 5 months (have lost only 7 lbs. in all that time because I can't seem to stop CHEATING. I've been surveying the forums. I have about 75lbs. to lose. Any suggestions for what forums might be most useful? Any suggestions, support, or ideas for getting off on the right track would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 20:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Joette,

Have you read different books on various LC plans? That might be the best way to re-start.

It's good to have rules to follow, and whatever plan you choose will provide you with rules. A lot of "cheating" has to do with the physiology of carb addiction. If you can live "clean" for 2 weeks, you can live clean for a long time because you know what is required to stay that way.

After that, it's sheer willpower and desire. You have to want a new way of eating more than that piece of chocolate. All of us have been in this vicious cycle at one time or another.

What sets you off? What usually happens before "cheating" sets in? Examining the thoughts that lead you to "cheating" is a good way to to learn about what makes you want to carb-out.

Keeping and reading (a) journal(s) in the Journal section is a good way to get help and advice, but you have to post everyday, IMHO to make it worth your while. It seems that the people who have the most trouble at first start doing better the more they post and the more they muse on their own motivations.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 17:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins -- Zone
Stats: 175/175/140 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:no clue; yikes! ;)
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up hey joette!

I agree with karen~! I believe a lot of this diet is mindset. You have to want to to lose the weight MORE than eating that piece of chocolate. I have cravings all day and every night before I go to bed. I am THEE carb junkie, not to mention sugar junkie!!!! Starting this diet was near impossible, especially when I went through carb withdrawal...
MY advice to you.. is to go out and FIND why you wanna lose weight to begin with. you need the DRIVE and the ambition before you embark on a journey that has restriction. I want to fit into a certain stores clothing .... right now I cant, but everytime i look at all the darling clothes, I'm reminded that I can do it, and I need to keep up my work!!!!!
Sure its a low carb diet, but with any other diet, you need the ambition to suceed. You have to want to lose the weight bad enough before you start cutting away the foods you enjoy. I've forced myself to FULLY enjoy all the foods I CAN have ... I got so EXCITED today when I realized I could eat a hot dog with a little cheese on top!!!!! oh and bacon and eggs for breakfast?? No other diet allows this. Take advantage of this diet... it will work in your favor, as soon as you want to try it BAD enough!!!!!! I've lost 6 lbs in 8 days... now THAT is motive right there!!!!
good luck! keep us posted!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Fortunately, there is more than one LC plan for you to choose from. CKD may be an option... but it also may increase your cravings. There's a special forum here with those on CKD. Exercise plays a BIG role. Basically you stick to LC for 5 days and carb-up for 2 days. I do a modified version where I still count the carb-up days (staying under 50g of carb and avoiding refined sugars, flours and grains)... but nothing ever tasted as sweet as my first bite of cantaloupe on that carb-up day... not to be overly dramatic, but it brought tears to my eyes!

Whatever plan you choose, you CAN do it! Congratulations on your 7 pound loss!