Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 15:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 340/327/250
BF:
Progress:
Default Salads?

After reading much of this forum I have some questions...

I am, eating salad for lunch every day. sometimes dinner, with chicken or steak on it, am i supposed to avoid salad?

Two more questions..

Caffeine.. I have to have coffee every morning, is this going to hurt my chances of losing weight?

Nutrasweet...same as above. equal in my coffee..

Sorry for all the questions, but the atkins book didnt answer these sufficiently...

-mhs
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 15:43

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi mhs!
I'm not sure what stage you're in but I know the Atkins book does state no more than 3 cups salad (or 2 cups salad plus 2/3 cup cooked veggies) per day during the induction period.

Coffee isn't good for weight loss. I feel for you on this one - I love my coffee too! I gave it up yesterday though. You'll have to switch to decaf. The book also states to try to stay under 3 packets of Equal a day - but I'm not sure if this is for health, weight loss or both.

I'm amazed at the knowledge (& support) on this forum so I'm sure you'll get a better answer.

Pru
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 15:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you are on the induction phase, you are allowed 20 grams of low carb vegetables a day. If two salads fall within the guidelines, then it's OK.

Go back and read the induction chapter for the guidlines on low carb vegetables. Since you're diabetic, it's really important that you read the book(s) I suggested to you in a previous post so you'll know exactly what's happening within your body.

Coffee is a YMMV kind of thing. It's OK for some people and not OK for others.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 15:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi mhs

Salads are great! Most lettuces and leafy greens are very low in carbs, and high in fiber, which is good for your "constitution" .. Try to have some variety in your salads, for example - different lettuces, spinach, shredded cabbage, etc. Dr. Atkins recommends 2 salads or 1 salad and a serving of cooked lowcarb veggie every day ... asparagus, broccoli, spinach, green beans, etc.

Coffee and caffeine is "generally" a YMMV thing (Your Mileage May Vary). Atkins recommends avoiding caffeine, as there may be an insulin response to it. However many lowcarbers find they can consume caffeine without affecting weight loss. Your situation is a bit different, with the diabetes and taking medication to help with insulin resistance. You would be wise to cut it out, and also choose caffeine-free versions of other beverages too.. .. Another thing with coffee, is that it's not zero carbs. One 6 oz. cup, which is pretty small .... has 0.8g carbs in it. The average mug holds 10 oz. which is 1.3g carbs ..... 3 or 4 mugs o' java every day can really use up a lot of your daily carb-allotment!

The sweetener packets need to be counted for any carbs they contain. In the US (not sure where you're located ) the manufacturer can label a thing as zero carbs if it contains 0.5g or less per serving. Those half-grams can add up quickly.

You might find it helpful to have a good food counts book, which has accurate lists of the carb counts, and other nutrients in food. Corrine Netzer's "Complete Book of Food Counts" is excellent, $7.50 US/$9.99 Cdn. The BEST online food counts tool can be found right here on our website.. ... Just click on "Tools" on the menu bar at the top of the page. Follow the instructions for the Carb-Count Finder.

hope this helps,

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-01, 00:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 340/327/250
BF:
Progress:

Wow, thank you for all the help. I will read those books!

I had no idea coffee had carbs. It is amazing how they sneak them in there...

Thanks Again!

-mhs