Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 13:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/120/105
BF:
Progress:
Default Not new to diet...Need support

My husband and I have been on the diet for two years now, lost a combined 130 lbs. The last year has been awful for us on the diet and the past few months we've almost totally fallen off the low carb wagon. Weight is coming back and we know we have to do something. I am just so sick of eating meat. Sometimes I simply go hungry because I can't bring myself to eat the same old stuff that's in the fridge. Sometimes we just can't take it anymore and go binge on pasta, bread and ice cream. I need new recipes and advice on how to balance this overwhelming desire to NOT eat low carb foods and NOT get fat again. Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 13:27

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hi there!
Besides meat, how about salads and veggies. Also, when you ABSOLUTELY have the urge to have pasta, try having some low-carb pasta around. Eating that is better than straying from the plan with regular pasta. Also, is it all meat? How about fish?

Just some suggestions....... Good luck to both you and your husband!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 14:13

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

130 lbs is WONDERFUL, congratulations!! I totally understand what you mean about getting tired of eating meat and the same thing all the time. In fact, that's the main reason i had stopped Atkins for a month and gained a little. My downfall: nuts and nut butters. (anyone tried raw almond butter? oh my god... lol).

Anyway, fern is right, try other sources of protein, fish, tuna, sardines, tofu (if you don't know how to cook, don't let that stop u..there are alot of recipes out there and just experiment...try it fried with eggs, it's so GOOD )..try nuts also, but don't eat the whole bag ;-), you can make low carb soups even. Get a variety of different veggies, spices, and a little planning should get you over the boredom of 'meat'. Perhaps it might help if you think of food as energy to live...not living to eat food . Perhaps getting a low carb cookbook may be the way to go.

Tomorrow is always a new day Good luck to you both, and again 130lb is fantastic!! Don't underestimate that amount.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 15:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the Forum Speck!

There are literally hundreds of low carb recipe sites out there. Check out our own Recipes and Karen Forums in the red bar at the top of the page.

To stop boredom IMHO, you have to be willing to experiment a little and try new combinations or ingredients or flavours you've never tried before. There are so many interesting Chinese, Thai, Indian, Southern French, Italian and Japanese recipes that are perfect for low-carbing or can be made perfect with a bit of tweaking.

To name a few...
  • Cabbage "noodles" with meat sauce
  • Baked spaghetti squash with cream, bacon and Parmesan served with roast chicken
  • Tuna Nicoise - Tuna, green beans, tomato, hard cooked eggs, olive oil and basil dressing
  • Steak and shrimp salad with Romaine lettuce, cucumbers and creamy Ranch dressing
  • Roasted daikon radish with a piece of salmon, dill and lemon butter
  • Cauliflower "rice" with pork and bean sprouts
  • Tofu "Divan" - tofu strips with steamed broccoli baked with heavy cream and lots of cheese

Now I'm hungry!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-01, 21:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/120/105
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your advice and encouragement. Although we do eat a lot of veggies, the meat is the main thing. The problem really has to do with time, I suppose. Time to find new recipes, time to make them (some of them are so time consuming and require so many ingredients) not to mention the cost. Lunch is the hardest meal, finding things that are transportable to work, etc. I have tried various combinations of the soy breads and pancakes and they taste awful. Wassa crackers are a compromise but tiring. I know I must research the recipes and find things that are suitable. Thank you again.