Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Don's Story

View Article Article tools
  #31   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 11:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/188/132
BF:42%
Progress: 8%
Thumbs up FANTASTIC!!!

Your story truly inspired me...I was going through the success stories and got to yours and thought to myself, there is still hope for me.

You look fantastic. Keep up the good work and keep us here all posted. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 20:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 330/162/150 Male 67 inches
BF:64/16/10
Progress: 93%
Default February Update

I can't believe that it's almost the end of March and I haven't posted the pictures from the 1st yet. I'm really flunking retirement. I did get them taken but I haven't had time to post them.

I did have a really nice article written about my journey by Julie Westly of CarbSmart and you can find it at the link below.

http://store.yahoo.com/carbsmart/donnc.html

No weight loss for the month of February but I did tone up quite a bit. Here are the pictures.

Weight 164
Total Loss 166 Pounds<br>
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 22:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 200/195/150
BF:
Progress: 10%

Incredible! Way to go!!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 20:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 330/162/150 Male 67 inches
BF:64/16/10
Progress: 93%
Default Time to update my story.

It's been a long time since I added anything to this story but the story has continued. Between March and August I managed to add on about 26 pounds in spite of the fact that I stayed lo-carb and was running 13.5 miles a day. Just proves that you can eat enough calories to gain weight even without carbs.

I'm sure part of that gain was muscle since I was working out on the Bowflex four days a week for most of that time and like I said I was running 13.5 miles a day. If you go to my web site and check out the slide show on the main page you will see that I trimmed up a lot even as I gained weight.

And on September 5th our little support group was challenged to go back on induction for a week and that got me started and I managed to lose most of the weight I had gained in less than a month. Support is important.

Which brings me to the next subject. About a year ago some of us got together and decided to start supporting each other in a more formal way. We began by meeting every Tuesday evening in a local lo-carb Ice Cream Shop and soon had grown too big for that place. So then we started a Friday evening support group that meets at a small church and now that group has grown to about 20 members. The Tuesday group still meets and there we talk about recipes and what is going on in our lives and mostly social kinds of things. The Friday group is a bit more structured and there we are combining some of Dr. Phil's ideas about losing weight with the food plans of lo-carb. What I feel is the best of all worlds and that small group is having great success. Several people in the group have lost 30 pounds or more.

On a more personal level, I ran my first ever half marathon, (13 miles), on October 25th, and finished in two hours and twenty minutes. That works out to 10 minutes and 45 seconds/mile. Not bad for an old fat man who couldn't walk across a room 23 months ago without running out of air.

On the 4th of November I had my yearly physical and everything checked out perfect. My blood work is the best it's ever been and my physical health is as good as I can ever remember it being. I have not been sick in any way in the last 23 months. And it's not because I haven't been exposed, I just believe that the combination of this WOE and the supplements I take and the exercise I do has revved my immune system up to a very high level.

I've found exercise to be a really important part of this journey and as of the end of the year I've walked almost 7,000 miles since February 4th, 2002.

And now for the really big change in my life. On December 14th my long time friend Donna and I decided it was time to tie the knot, we are to be wed on February 14th. Donna is another lo-carb success story because she has lost a hundred pounds as she has shared this weight loss journey with me.

For much more detail, including pictures and more good stuff come visit my web site and be sure to check out the slide show.

www.dvelliott.com

I believe that what Donna and I have managed to do is possible for anyone who is willing to believe in themselves enough to make the investment in time and effort that it takes to succeed. We wish you all luck on your journeys and if we can help in any way please feel free to ask.

Last edited by dvellio : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 20:58.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 21:56

Plan: Low Glycemic
Stats: 298/300/125 Female 5'3"
BF:Too much!
Progress: -1%

Oh my gosh!!!! I went to your website and when I saw the slideshow/your pictures along with the the "The Impossible Dream" I almost cried. I'm so happy for you. I'm very overweight and I can now only dream of how I'll feel when I'm at a healthy weight. Just today, my 10th day of Induction, I already had thoughts of going off the plan running through my head. I should know better, with all the success stories and inspiration that I get here at this forum! I guess I was letting the thoughts of "needing to eat more beans and fruit and the like" get the better of me. I'm okay now. Thanks You worked soooo hard and you earned being where you are now!! Wow!! You should be a poster boy (man) for this woe. And your info. regarding your bloodwork being normal also encouraged me because I guess I have this little fear that eating all this way will somehow cause me be to unhealthy, but that's only from the hype and negative things the media and doctors are saying about this plan. Anyway, enough of all that, but congratulations to you and your sharing your journey is helping others also
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 01:26

Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Engagement Congratulations

Hi Don

Well you are just so inspiring! Thank You for sharing this journey with us!
Congratulations on your recent engagement to Donna as well, I wish you every happiness. You two have a very bright future.
See you around the forum !
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 17:09

Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Holy cow!!!!

I just saw your most recent photo and all I can say is WOW!!!!

You have inspired me today, and for that I thank you!
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 19:50

Plan: Atkins+Black Coffee
Stats: 251/250/190 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 2%

I agree you look great! It's so nice to read success stories! It motivates us all! Thanks for sharing!
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 20:29
Registered Member

Stats: 243/164/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:50%/49%/30%
Progress: 95%

all I can say is wow your success has dumb founded me!