Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 15:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%
Default Living la vida LO-Carb / LO-CO?

It's just one of those days where I'm not too happy. Not really depressed. Usually I want to eat and eat and eat. But I think that I'm on this LC diet I'm just not feeling hungry at all. Is this normal. I forced myself to make a lunch.

I think I'm in mourning for regular food. Is that nuts? Like, I miss it and I'll never have it again. Like it died.

Last edited by Carianne : Fri, Jun-28-02 at 19:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 06:19

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I can understand what you are saying. I have days like that too. I was well aware that for years I have always eaten food because it "was there". Not because I was hungry, but just because I truly enjoyed the texture of certain foods in my mouth, or the enjoyment of the flavor.

I find that now with this new WOE I do not have food cravings related to hunger, however they are related to boredom or an occasional yearning for the feel of soft serve ice cream melting on my tongue and sliding down my throat.

I honestly think that there are many reasons why people eat what they do and it is not solely for curbing hunger.

So, you are not nuts, but you have conquered quite a beast by just realizing that you are having "cravings" that are not hunger driven and that you are searching for the cause.

Good luck
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

I have to agree,I get bored and miss certain tastes and food combinations! ..... I miss the crunchy stuff!
I can handle the pork rinds, but sometimes, I have had enough.
I also can go with veggies that crunch, but I like to eat cheese with my crunchy stuff, and water concentrated veggies does not appeal to me, mixed with cheese. Yugh! makes for watery cheese.... Sigh.........
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 11:14

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%

Course, I'd wonder how long it is that you're going without food. Is it no more than a few hours? You skip the odd meal only now and then? If that's all, then to be quite honest, I wouldn't really worry about it. Or is it more than that? Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 13:24

Default Thanks...

Thank you for the replies! I am feeling much better. I think that when I'm ina "funk" I tend not to remember that it will pass. That funk lasted two days and that is pretty long for me.

Looking back, I should feel sorry for my DH! He has to put up with me and I have a tendency to be so emotional during those times. Normally I just let life roll off my back, happy and jokey. Anyway, it's so nice to have people here on this website to offer support. It really makes a difference. I hope I can be helpful sometime too.

Thanks again!
Carianne
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 17:47

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%
Default Journal

Maybe you could try keeping a journal, not a food journal, but a regular journal. Then when you get into a funk, you can write all those feelings down, and then look back and read about all your good days. Maybe that will help to remind you that you will come out of the funk. "The sun'll come out...tomorrow!" hehehe
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 20:36

Plan: CKD
Stats: 298/190/180
BF:
Progress: 92%

people people, you don't need to miss your old foods.
I hear of poeple on the keto diet that are always in ketosis

This is good up to a certain point, the bottom line is that your body realizes you are losing weight and it stops producing something called leptin ( or produces it in much smaller amounts ) this tells your body to fight you to hold on to whatever fat you have, it slows down your metabolism making it harder to mobilize fat for energy.

The reason why the induction works so well is because everyone who usually starts the induction previously ate sugary, carb-loaded foods and maybe were slightly overweight, very overweight or extremely overweight, your leptin levels are high when you are overweight and thus your body is basically saying ( hey you've got enough fat stored, I'm ready to let it go when you are ) so you do the induction, reduce calories and carb intake and voila you get great results ( and most testimonies I've seen of the atkins induction say that they lost the most weight from the induction, this is the reason ) , what you should be doing on a weekly if not bi-weekly basis is 'carbing-up', resetting your metabolism, after you lose so much weight, your body slows down your metabolism making it harder to lose, even though you are working just as hard, when you carb-up you increase your calories and stored glycogen ( blood sugar ) levels to the point where your body starts producing more leptin, telling your body you are being fed and preparing you for an renewed fat loss session for the next week.

Many people don't do this because they think it's wrong because of hte carbs or because they gain a few pounds over the carb up ( this is mostly water weight and goes away after you resume your keto diet at the end of the carb-up)

The diet is much more enjoyable when it's NECESSARY to incorporate sugar-laden foods to keep fat loss going ( it sounds strange but it isn't ) do some searches on the CKD forum for refeeds and you'll see what I mean. One catch is during the carb-up you must keep fats DOWN. that means fat free high carb goodies ( entenmanns fat free danish, smarties, pop tarts ( low fat ), cereals ( with skim milk ) pancakes, pasta!

I was stuck in my weight loss for 4 months beofre learning about refeeds, starting mine last week and Im losing more body fat, it's like I'm starting where I got stuck 4 months ago.

It's a fun game the body, once you know how to play it!

It's also fun to be called Skeletor at work! I enjoy it because
At one time I had a 44 inch waist and size c cup breasts ( and I'm a MAN ) hehe shows how bad I was!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 21:26

Default OH MY GOODNESS...

Mojo Kid,

Thank you so much for that reply! I posted that (as you can see) months ago. But funny how things work out - I've been kind of stalled since the beginning of September. I think partly because of some meds I started then, and finish tonight thank goodness! But also getting "comfy" and lax about weight after losing 31 pounds. And, somewhere along the line I lost my focus and determination. I've had a cheat (a big fat one) every week for the last 3 weeks. I'm down on myself not for each cheat individually, but the 3 weeks combined of self sabotaging my plan.

What does CKD stand for? What book can I find more info about that plan? I am a variety kind of gal and that plan sounds like it might add some of that variety back to my life. I love whole grain cereal with skim milk! I miss stuff like that and that makes the cheating easy for me. On my carb up time, could I have those fat free cookies? MMM! With skim milk? As you can see, I miss milk. HA!

I am so greatful that you came along here to perk me up ! - and get me thinking and feeling a tad more motivated, both to learn and investigate something new that can be beneficial to me and motivated to "get going" on the weight loss.

Looking forward to your response.
Have a great week!
Carianne
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 22:02

Plan: CKD
Stats: 298/190/180
BF:
Progress: 92%

Carianne,

I'm glad I could be of some assistance. Trainerdan here on this board has an AWESOME reference on CKD ( Cyclical Ketogenic Diet ) CKD is basically a ketosis based diet where you eat a low-carb, moderate-high fat, moderate-high protein diet during the week and load up on carbo-hydrates on the weekend .Here is a link to his CKD 101 thread, LOADS of information. He also has a tips and tricks books on stalls and metabolism and how they work ( I just ordered it can't wait )

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=16165

As for the carb-up foods, yes you can eat fat free cookies, fat free whatever with carbs! You want low fat to minimize any gains during your carb-load ( carbs + fat = quick way to get fat ) It is also important to plan your carb-up just like you plan your weekly meals. The more body fat a person has the less often that person needs to carb-up .. as you get leaner you need to carb-up more often.

You can tell you really need a carb-up when you start to feel 'sluggish' and your get REALLY bad carb cravings, and some of your 'cheats' were probably actually helping you, but to be most effect you have to consume a fairly large amount of carbs over a period of usually 1 to 2 days ( usually the weekend for most folks )

Here is the link to the main CKD forum on this website
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...p?s=&forumid=52

loads of information there.

I'm not sure of your level of exercise but cardio and general exercise is quite important on a CKD. Exercise and cardio brings you back quicker into ketosis and is necessary to rid your body of the water bloat you get from the carb-up.

It works though believe me, I was scared to carb-up, but after I did, I lost the water weight in 2 days and nearing the end of the week Im looking leaner already.

Those forums though can help you much more than I can, also the 'Quick Links' to the right of the posts the 'Which low-carb plan is right for me?' could possibly help you, it's all based on your current weight, your goal and your exercise activity level.

Let me know!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 22:26

Default OH GOODIE!!!

Mojo Kid,

I wonder if I that would explain why I've been feeling a tad dizzy lately and getting those terrible carb cravings. I've got to try this! I will learn more, get going on it and then I'll let you know how it goes.

This is a great time for a change. Change of weather, getting off meds and ending TOM too. I might feel normal again soon. What a concept!

Thank you so much!
Carianne