Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 15:24

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Question re Hidden Carb Inspector

Hi, Wa'il! I was just reading a thread on the La Tiara taco shells and am thoroughly confused about the Hidden Carb Inspector again (just when I thought I understood it!).

These are the results from the HCI:

Hidden Carbs Calculator
Stated Label Information
Calories 37
Fat 2.3 g
Protein 0.4 g
Carbohydrates 4 g
Subtracted Fiber? No 3 g
Calculation Accuracy: Cereals, Grains and Pastas (corn)

Calculated Information
Carbohydrates factor 3.99390
Fat factor 8.37338
Protein factor 3.54117

Actual Carb count 4.09 g
Difference by weight 0.09 g

My previous understanding of these results was that, indeed, the product's listed total carb count was correct and that the net carbs would therefore be 4 minus 3 or 1 net carb per taco shell.. From all reports I have seen on the net, these shells are VERY thin and have been around for a long time, ie not a product aimed at low carbers.

However, in the thread, IslandGirl posted the following entry. My question for you is... does the "Actual Carb Count" of 4.09 grams calculated by the Hidden Carb Inspector equal the NET carbs for the product or the TOTAL carbs (from which we can then deduct the fiber)? Just seeking verification, since I am such a numbers geek!. Thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Hiya, Karen! Thanks for providing those numbers. Yes, I ran it through my we3 spreadsheet that does the same thing as the Hidden Carbs Inspector, and agree, the NET or Effective carb grams are indeed very close to 4g.

It's your subtraction that may be a bit misleading. The Hidden Carbs Inspector gives a NET carb count, what the count should be AFTER fiber subtraction, not the Total Carbohydrates (which includes fiber) as given on the label.

The Nutrition Facts label (ANY Nutrition Facts label, not just this brand) is supposed to include the fiber as a carbohydrate in the Total Carbohydrates number... so it SHOULD read 7g Total Carbohydrate and 3g Fiber indented under that to give a more accurate count of 4g each after 'deducting' the fiber grams from the Total grams...

Not that you can't or shouldn't EAT 'em, just be aware you are getting 4 grams of effective carbs PLUS 3 grams of fiber...

Hope this info is helpful, if not exactly good news.

Just found another site to check the info and it says the ECC is 1 - the site is here: http://www.nocarbzone.com/html/hidden_carb2.html. Hoping you can clarify this for me (and perhaps the original poster and readers of the thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=95824).

Thanks, Wa'il !
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 16:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

For the calculator on our site, we don't calculate ECC. It just figures out the actual carb count.

So according to the result you posted from our calculator, it means the ECC = 4.09 - 3 = 1.09

It also says the difference between it and the label is 0.09, which essentially mean the label is quite accurate, and has no hidden carbs.

Which mean your understanding is correct

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 16:28

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Yay!! Thanks, Wa'il!