Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1381   ^
Old Mon, May-03-21, 11:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the link. Excellent information and good news.
Sponsored Links
  #1382   ^
Old Mon, May-03-21, 12:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Reflux episodes spike BP in people with GERD and hypertension

There seems to be a fairly strong correlation between gastric reflux and stroke. My Dad's biggest health concerns before he had a stroke almost a year ago were blood pressure and gastric reflux, that went on for years. When I went low carb years ago, my blood pressure went from high normal to low normal and pretty much stayed there--sometimes a little lower, but never really creeps up.

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - In patients with both gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and essential hypertension, episodes of reflux can trigger elevations in blood pressure (BP), especially at night, according to research from China.

Short-term antacid therapy using the proton-pump inhibitor omeprazole also significantly reduced multiple measures of both reflux and BP, in an uncontrolled comparison.

“This study demonstrated that parts of reflux episodes might be associated with BP elevation. When GERD and essential hypertension coexist, treatment of GERD could be useful for normalizing BP,” corresponding author Dr. Zhong-gao Wang, of the First Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University, Henan Province, China, told Reuters Health by email.

So fairly obvious to wonder what cholic acid supplementation and a gut bacteria that results in lower bile acid levels are doing, is there gastric reflux occurring? Is physical stress elevating blood pressure? What does that stress do to the sleep cycle, bringing in circadian rhythm doesn't simplify things, but it's in there somewhere.

https://www.consultant360.com/story...0f rom%20China.
  #1383   ^
Old Mon, May-03-21, 13:20

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Lots of questions due to many variables. I, too, reduced my BP after going strict low carb. Gastric reflux diminished and I no longer take medications for either. Time restricted eating (eating 2 meals a day in a 6-hour window) with no snacking may have had some influence based on the article. I wonder how long a fast is effective? It may be something as simple as eating no more than 2 meals per day and allowing BG get to a reasonable level before the next meal.
  #1384   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-22, 08:35
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

In September 2021 I had my first chemo infusion and went into it fasting, based on what I'd read and studied. I also fasted the day after the infusion. It was a miserable experience. I've now undergone 6 infusions, and this is what I learned: the individual body dictates how cancer affects that body.

Since September, I've had almost no animal protein because I simply couldn't stomach it. Many days I couldn't eat at all unless I ate carbs. By eating as much as possible when I was able to eat, I've maintained my weight. My last infusion (6hr) was January 19, 2022, and I'm managing my side effects pretty well. Last week I started eating to ketosis again and have been able to eat (some) animal proteins.

However, next week I start a long-term 1-drug round that lasts another year. This drug alone takes only about an hour via my port but has the same side effects I've been enduring. My question (to self) is: Do I use artificially constructed protein products to try to stay in ketosis AND get enough protein to live, or do I fall back into carbs just to maintain my weight.

You see, Cancer Code and all the other books like it don't seem to take into account the fact that eating and maintaining muscle mass while having cancer is not simple. Being in ketosis is not a magic bullet, nor is fasting. There is no magic bullet.

Just throwing my facts out there. P.S. my bp is consistently low.