Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 12:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Question Atkins Fat Fast

I'm sorry, this is in the wrong section...I tried to delete and move it to the general section but was told I could not delete this thread. Has anyone tried and been successful losing fat on this short-term desperation plan? I would like to try it to give myself a kickstart to low-carbing again but I'm afraid of not losing (or even gaining). I'm extremely insulin resistant so even Atkins induction has not worked for me, I have not lost an ounce in the entire 3 weeks I tried it. I don't want to give up but I'm coming pretty close to throwing in the towel on the whole deal. I weigh in at 216 and the most I've ever lost in my life was 14 lbs and it took me 6 mos. to do it. If anyone has any tips, strategies, encouragement, suggestions to help me overcome my insulin resistance I would love to hear it.

At this point, you guys are my last resort.

Deb

Last edited by Deb : Thu, Nov-08-01 at 12:23.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 19:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Talking Hey Deb

Hi, yes only the Moderator or an Administrator can delete this thread... one will come along and move it to, probably, the Tips, Stalls & Plateaus forum or maybe even (perhaps better) the LowCarb and Your Health forum, as your extreme Insulin Resistance might be related to something or other in there.

I'd like to suggest, in answer to your specific question on the Fat Fast, that you check your copy of DANDR (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution) as that's where the Fat Fast comes from and it IS designed for extremely resistant folk by the good doc himself. The basics are clear there.

As for our experiences with it, you might find some very helpful information (if you're willing to wade through the posts) by going to the Group Journal & Projects forum, which you can click on directly from the main Forums page (it's a subheading under the My Journal / Bootcamp forum link).

There a bunch of us have gone through what we called the LowCarb Project V1.2 and part of that was controlled Fat Fast Days. Lots of good stuff in there. hardcore LC !

Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 01:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Deb, start a journal in the Journal forum and tell us a bit about yourself and what you eat. Have you been a yo-yo dieter? What about medications. If we know a bit more, the suggestions will start flying.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 09:19

BF:

Judi, Karen: thank you so much for your helpful tips on where to go from here. I'm so frustrated with myself; I have great intentions to do better but I sabotage myself by trying to second guess what will happen. I will just jump in I guess and immerse myself in trying to adopt this lifestyle and see what happens. I really appreciate this board because I feel so isolated with trying all by myself to eat for my health. People around me are not really open-minded enough to just let me do my thing, and I get tired of fighting and arguing my point every meal time.

Thanks for listening to my rant and I'll head off to look at the pointers and suggestions you've both offered me.

I'll let you know how I do...

Deb
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 21:40

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Oh, Deb, I feel for ya. Having the same trouble here. Initially, I lost three or four pounds (must have been water) but since then, Nada. Well maybe I'll go back and forth 1 or 2 #. I think maybe we're the poster girls for yo-yo dieting or we just have those bodies that hold onto the fat.

Did you yo-yo diet before? Take hormones, bcpills, or any medication that may 'help' you hold onto it?

It's been over two mos. for me-- not to scare you-- I'm on a very modified lo-carb compared to some on this board, and that's probably some of my slowness.

Are you getting any health benefits from low-carbing, Other than wt. loss? Like stomach problems eased up, or better sleep, or more regulated blood sugar throughout the day ( which would give you a clearer head, and less mood swings, and energy swings)?

Sometimes if you can just hang on to these Types of improvements in how you feel, I'm SURE the weight loss is gonna kick in (for both of us)!

Take your measurements every mo. or so, and try on clothes to see if you're changing sizes as you go. Some of us may be slow-pokes, but we will triumph in the end, and get our weight down.

yb
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 09:50

BF:

Thanks, yogabuff for your commiseration with me. I felt like I was the only one who wasn't getting anywhere with this eating plan. Yes, I am seeing one benefit with this. I don't seem to get indigestion much anymore (that is wonderful) but I don't seem to sleep very well. I'm constantly waking up hour upon the hour. I guess all those carbs were like a sleeping pill. I also am taking the bc pill to control some of the symptoms of PCOS( acne and excess facial hair). I'm contemplating getting off them and just seeing what low-carbing will do for it. Also noticed one other problem when I'm trying to low-carb. After the initial couple of days, I have no desire to eat anything at all! I gag at the thought of eating and have even thrown up a couple of times when I've eaten anyway. What is going on?! Has anyone else experienced this? How do I get around this? I'm terribly confused, maybe low-carbing is not for my body. I hate to think that nothing will work for me but something's not right (either with me or I'm doing it wrong).

any thoughts would be appreciated
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 11:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Deb,

Just curious to know if you followed any of the suggestions that were given to you in this post in May...

Click here.

You can always keep a journal in the Journal Forum so people can make comments. It could be a multitude of things and hard to figure out unless we know what you've been eating.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 12:08

BF:

Karen: I'm leery about making more than a few posts here and there as I'm using my work PC. I don't have a home PC(too expensive) and so I only use this board occasionally when I have a second at work. I don't want to abuse the privilege and lose the opportunity to use the Internet at all.

So you see I'm kind of limited as to when and how much I can use this board.

I'll certainly look at the suggestions given in these sections though.

Deb
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 19:47

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

When I asked if you took hormones or BCpills, (besides being kind of intrusive) I would never suggest that you go off anything without your doctor's OK. Since he or she is treating you for PCOS, this is especially important.

Please talk to doc, first. THEN, if they say OK, I wish you the best. Those are just SOME of the reasons people can hold onto weight. Probably happens with menopausal women my age more often.

yb