Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#91   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 05:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

PilotGal tipped us off that Steve Cooksey has been doing a Diabetic Carnivore diet for about five months. Tons of detail on his BG, body comp here if interested on this from a diabetes perspective. https://www.diabetes-warrior.net
Also links to more of the cool kids in the ZC space.

Shawn Baker tweeted this morning the next September 15 Many experiment is still open. He also hit his highest stroke power under 1 min...for any rower nerds.

Quote:
Not having to worry about calories, ratios, macros, meal prep shopping, "what to make", "cheats" has brought a freedom few can imagine.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 05:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I've always been fascinated by the ZC advocates and have followed many blogs and websites. I would have few reservations in adopting it.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 14:54

Though I read blogs and now crazy Twitters, when it comes to actually using a diet or recommended food lists, I tend to stick with doctors who have used the plan on real patients for a long time. Dr. Naiman fits that description and produces fun graphics too, recently a wheel of foods with Protein to Non-Protein Energy ratios https://www.facebook.com/BurnFatNot...?type=3&theater
He explains how to use this chart in all the comments.

Have found increasing protein is not all that easy unless you can eat canned salmon with no mayo. Yuck. But it is similar to how I started eating LC back in 2010 before listening to the KetoGurus "eat more fat" and is only a short-term hack. I am trying to follow Dr. Naiman's macro Calculator (not well) so the appeal of the quote above is tempting right now.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-23-17 at 07:47.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 04:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4VRp5ZFFRU

A talk at ketofest by Amber from the ketotic blog.
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 10:54
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Circling back on this thread because I see my friends Janet and Teaser have been posting interesting things. I'm watching the Zero Carb crowd with a less tainted eye these days, as it interests me. Have been following KetoGains with similar interest, though hate the militant attitude of some either way. Loved the Ted Naiman graphic, but still not sure about some things. Why would ground round have a lower P:NPE ratio than round itself? Similar fat content. Does grinding reduce the usable protein content? I've noticed that I can eat a pound of ground beef and feel less sated than eating a pound of steak or roast. Or it's my imagination? Possibly.

Noted Steve's carnivore experiment. And his lower fat experiments. I do believe there's something to reducing fat in order to lose fat (guess what I have a bunch of that stored!) but the only problem is that I have historically gotten a lot more bored when I've limited fat. Maybe try 4-6 week challenges where I eat less fat, then go back to eating my chuck eyes and chicken thighs for 4-6 weeks?

I have definitely moved away from the mindset that "you need to eat fat to lose fat." I think that works as an initial jumpstart, but sooner or later you'll plateau.

I know some random meanderings, but still trying to figure out what works and what works for me.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 19:43

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMarvin
I've noticed that I can eat a pound of ground beef and feel less sated than eating a pound of steak or roast. Or it's my imagination? Possibly.

I don't think it's imagination - I've noticed that, too. Perhaps it's because ground meat is chewed less? Chewing is part of the digestive process & more chewing may make you feel fuller. And ground meat is made from cheaper cuts - perhaps less nutritious.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 03:25

Hey Marvin,
How have you been doing? Good to see you back here.

Beats me why Naiman has ground beef at a higher ratio than "ribeye" but I do see some of these carnivore folks waxing poetic over how fatty their rib eyes are. So I bought rib eye steaks at Costco and it wasn't all that fatty, it was well trimmed and not tender. I suppose if "ground beef" was the common 90% variety and the "rib eye" cut was very fatty as others claim, it could end up with a larger amount of "non protein energy" aka fat. Maybe work out the ratio for whatever beef cut you buy using the USDA figures?? Shawn Baker doesn't seem to worry about these minor distinctions at all.

EDIT! Later I thought to search Dr Naiman's page, but he doesn't have the search function, but then 18 hours ago someone named MARVIN already asked the question Great minds and all that. Answer about ground beef from Dr Naiman. "Burn Fat Not Sugar No, just some butchers will add in a bunch of cast-off fat to make the ground beef cheaper...this is why lower protein % ground beef is more expensive. But all ground beef at any percentage is clustered around the 2.0-ish range.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/beef/show"

https://www.facebook.com/BurnFatNot...?type=3&theater

I added a new Ten Tips for Weight Loss article yesterday where Dr Naiman "weighs in" on protein again: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...750#post9229750. Check out those tips

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Sep-19-17 at 05:29.
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 04:53

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I've noticed that ground beef is less filling too! I always figured it's because with a burger more fat is left behind in the pan or grill.
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 05:11

BF:

I've wondered whether smaller bits of protein are more rapidly digested, similar to what happens with smaller starch molecules. There is a difference in the insulin response to fast vs. slow digesting proteins, like caseine and whey, I just don't know how much difference ground vs. steak makes.
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 11:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Sheesh, now I'm going to have to stop chewing my ground beef . . .
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-17, 10:18

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

I find ground beef doesn't satisfy me as much as roast or steak BUT is much better than anything else. I cannot do a meal of JUST chicken or pork or fish, for example. If I don't have some red meat, my hunger beast gets me every time.

By eating hamburgers for breakfast, I've been able to keep on plan most days. I'd LOVE to eat steak for breakfast everyday but my wallet won't allow me
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 20:32
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I"ve noticed steak is more satisfying than ground beef as well. What's stranger is that whole eggs are more satisfying than scrambled and all you've done is mix the white and the yolk.
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 03:48

BF:

With steak there's the confounder of cooking. I ate a steak very nearly raw once, couldn't finish it. My friend fried it in butter, and the first bite returned my appetite. Still couldn't finish it, it was a big steak. He fried it again, appetite returned again, even though I like steak very much just raw when I'm hungry, as hunger decreases, cooking seems to trigger my appetite. Advanced glycation end products taste pretty good. Maybe that's a factor in scrambled eggs as well?
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-17, 20:02
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
With steak there's the confounder of cooking. I ate a steak very nearly raw once, couldn't finish it. My friend fried it in butter, and the first bite returned my appetite. Still couldn't finish it, it was a big steak. He fried it again, appetite returned again, even though I like steak very much just raw when I'm hungry, as hunger decreases, cooking seems to trigger my appetite. Advanced glycation end products taste pretty good. Maybe that's a factor in scrambled eggs as well?

True. Why would dietary AGEs taste good though? What's the evolutionary perspective? Cooking kills disease causing organisms perhaps? But over-cooking tastes like crap. Goldilocks I guess.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-17, 03:26

Eating with Gengkis Kahn.

Not really a Cookbook, the introduction to Mongolian food explains why Shawn Baker likes it.
https://www.amazon.com/Eating-Gengh...k/dp/B00820YM6I

Quote:
In 1995, I spent 3 weeks in Mongolia.

And while I was there, I lost 10 pounds.

Not because I got sick, but because Mongolians are the original Atkins dieters (think lots and LOTS of meat) and because the food’s a little bland. (The Mongols are really fond of boiled meat). Not that there’s anything wrong with boiled meat. But I’m the kind of guy who goes through a lot of pepper flakes. My family and I debate the merits of different hot sauces. But not the Mongols. They just like meat. Lots of meat.

But in addition to meat, they eat lots of dairy products. You see, their ancestors were nomads, and spent most of their time roaming from place to place in search of good grazing grounds for their animals.

So there wasn’t a lot of time for planting crops, much less harvesting them. And they just never developed a taste for vegetables. Or fruit. Or grains.

Mongolia’s capital, Ulaanbaatar (pronounced “OOH-lahn-BAH-tar”), has become a trendy vacation spot, and it’s possible to find everything from salad bars to vegetarian restaurants there.
But you have to trust me that these are NOT for domestic consumption. Mongols don’t quite see the point of salad bars, and as for vegetarian cooking, their thought is that vegetables are OK for eating, but hardly worth the bother.

continues at link

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Sep-27-17 at 06:35.
Closed Thread