Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:07

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5 ft 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation atkins has passed away

Just heard that Dr. Atkins has died.....

Wanted to pass the info along..

Di
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Sad News: Dr. Atkins Passed Away

Fox News has just reported that Dr. Atkins has passed away from his injuries...Truly a sad day.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:09

Stats: 187/157/145
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Most sincere condolences!!!

Oh, I am so sorry. He saved my life.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:09

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%
Default Dr. Atkins has died

Just on the news at 12:07 PM EST that Dr. Atkins has died.

Last edited by RBalhan : Thu, Apr-17-03 at 10:10.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:11

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5 ft 9 inches
BF:

Meant to say that I work in a newsroom, so the report is accurate..

Diana
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:11

Plan: GO
Stats: 230/230/185
BF:
Default RIP Dr. Atkins

MSNBC is reporting that Dr. Atkins has passed away from complications stemming from his head injury. God bless.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:12

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Unhappy

Oh how sad....prayers and condolences to his family. The world just lost a great man that changed many lives.
  #8   ^

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

What a huge loss for the Medical/ diet industry. So sad. Kathy
  #9   ^
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I just heard about Dr. Atkins' passing. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

HN
  #10   ^

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%
Default Dr. Atkins has died

I just heard it also on MSNBC at 11:07 AM CST that Dr. Atkins has died.

Rose
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:18

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I just saw it on CNN's breaking news too.

#12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:19
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Best-Selling Diet Doctor Dies at 72

The Associated Press
April 17. 2003 12:09PM

Dr. Robert C. Atkins, whose best-selling low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet was dismissed as nutritional folly for years but was recently validated in some research, died Thursday, his spokesman said. He was 72.

Atkins died at New York Weill-Cornell Medical Center and was surrounded by his wife and close friends, said Richard Rothstein, his spokesman.

Atkins suffered a severe head injury Tuesday after falling on an icy sidewalk while walking to work. Last April, Atkins was hospitalized for cardiac arrest, which he said was related to an infection of the heart and was not related to the diet.

Atkins first advocated his unorthodox weight-loss plan - which emphasizes meat, eggs and cheese and discourages bread, rice and fruit - in his 1972 book, "Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution."

Its publication came at a time when the medical establishment was encouraging a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet. The following year, the American Medical Association dismissed Atkins' diet as nutritional folly and Congress summoned him to Capitol Hill to defend the plan.

Labeling it "potentially dangerous," the AMA said the diet's scientific underpinning was "naive" and "biochemically incorrect." It scolded the book's publishers for promoting "bizarre concepts of nutrition and dieting."

Despite this, his books sold 15 million copies, and millions of people tried the diet. Atkins' philosophy enjoyed a resurgence in the 1990s with "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution," which sold more than 10 million copies worldwide and spent five years on The New York Times best-seller list.

But criticism of the diet lingered, with many arguing that it could affect kidney function, raise cholesterol levels and deprive the dieter of important nutrients.

Atkins said no study showed that people with normal kidney function developed problems because of a high-protein diet, and he never gave in to his detractors.

Defending his plan at the American Dietetic Association's convention in 2000, Atkins quipped, "I'm very happy to be here. Not as happy as Daniel in the lion's den."

This year, his approach was vindicated in part by the very medical community that scorned him. In February, some half-dozen studies showed that people on the Atkins diet lost weight without compromising their health. The studies showed that Atkins dieters' cardiovascular risk factors and overall cholesterol profiles changed for the better.

Still, many of the researchers were reluctant to recommend the Atkins diet, saying a large new study now under way could settle lingering questions of its long-term effects.

On the Atkins diet, up to two-thirds of calories may come from fat - more than double the usual recommendation, and violating what medical professionals have long believed about healthy eating. Carbohydrates are the foundation of a good diet, most say. Eating calorie-dense fat is what makes people fat, they say, and eating saturated fat is dangerous.

To Atkins, the key dietary villain in obesity was carbohydrates. He argued they make susceptible people pump out too much insulin, which in turn encourages them to put on fat.

Fat in foods can be a dieter's friend, Atkins said, in part because it quenches appetite and stops carbohydrate craving.

Atkins, a graduate of Cornell University's medical school, first tried a low-carbohydrate diet in 1963 after reading about one in the Journal of the American Medical Association. He said he lost weight so easily that he converted his fledgling Manhattan cardiology practice into an obesity clinic.

Besides his work on nutrition, Atkins also argued that ozone gas can kill cancer cells and HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, and he claimed to have treated more than 1,000 patients with ozone therapy.

The ozone treatment is a common alternative therapy in Germany and some other nations but has not gained acceptance in the United States.

In 1999, Atkins established the Robert C. Atkins Foundation to finance diet research. It has sponsored research at Duke University, the University of Connecticut and Harvard.

Atkins did not have any children and is survived by his wife, Veronica, and his mother, Norma, of Palm Beach, Fla.

---

By Associated Press Writer Lukas I. Alpert.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:22
Registered Member

Stats: 292/190.5/180 Male 75 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 91%

My thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and the extended family of my fellow Atkins WOE'ers. We have all lost a true Leader/ Father figure in our lives.

The sign of a truely great person is if they will stand up for what they believe in no matter what others say, and how many people's lives they make better by how they live their own life. Dr Atkins meet, and surpassed both these requirements.

I, personnally, have his lifes work and the knowledge and support gained from this webboard to credit with helping me to improve my life and probably add years of usesfulness to the years of my life. Thank you Dr. Atkins and thank you forum.lowcarber.org members.

Kansas5
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:23

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 245/240/190 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Just heard...

on Fox news that Dr. Atkins has died. He will be sorely missed. I pray his family finds comfort in this horrible and sudden tragedy. May the work he started continue. And may we all learn to live our lives as though it is our last.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 330/290/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yep, I was definitely sorry to hear it.

So, now I've got to make sure I stick to it!

Tim