Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 12:17

Plan: Candida diet
Stats: 167/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Losing weight too fast, more thrush in throat, die off symptoms bad

The die off symtoms I'm going through are worse than when this all started. I have no energy at all, 0! The thrush in my throat is worse than ever to the point that I can hardly eat even what I'm supposed to eat because food keeps sticking to the thrush in my throat and even hot water doesn't want to get it off. It takes me about twenty minutes of trying to caugh and drink the hot water until it loosens from my throat and goes down.
I started out on nystatin but didn't take it as I should have months ago. I thought it wasn't working. Now, lately since the trush invaded my throat and sinuses so badly that I had to do something, I got some probiotics and started the candida diet, that's about two weeks ago now. I've lost about 12 lbs in this time of two weeks and now I feel malnourished and sick. Started on Tea Tree mouthwash today. I'm praying it helps. After my first use, It made my throat feel even more dry and the yeast there feel larger and more sticky. Is it supposed to do that?
My arms are weak, my legs are weak and it's hard to even change my clothes or take a shower. I feel like I'm getting worse so fast that I can't keep up and finding I can only eat maybe two or three bites of anything at all through any given day. I just can't get much past the thrush in my throat. I can't afford to go out and buy anything else right now either, not other types of food that might go down easier or supplements. I'm hanging on by a thread here and don't know what to do to get better at this point. I know my diet HAS to be killing off the yeast, but since the yeast has gotten this much worse, I'm afriad I'm also hurting myself by being malnurished. My heart rate has dropped considerably and all my blood tests are normal along with the fact that after a year of the runs, my bowel movments are also now normal. I used to have to have a bowl movement twice or more a day, every day where I'd have to run to get to the bathroom in time. Now they're pretty much every other day, once on that day and more normal than in a long time. So that's one part that's good, why doesn't the rest of me kick in a get better also?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 12:28

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Glad to hear that your stools are better at least!

How long have you been on the anti-candida diet?

Can you post a day or two of what you're eating?

Are you on any medications or supplements currently?

I think tea tree oil is pretty nasty. I've never used it as a mouthwash. Coconut oil is the strongest stuff I will put up with.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-12-09, 20:14

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I wish you could go to a helth food store and ask for some natural things to gargle with and even help you.
My gosh, I feel so bad just reading your story. I can only ask you to find the will and hope that you will feel better. I know the candida diet is not malnutrition, a man or woman can live on Protein alone. And also eating a Low carb diet can kill of Yeast.
I sure hope you begin to get better, have you looked into a total body cleanse. I would be concerned with your every other day bowel movements, you need the yeast to get out of your system. Remember starve them and you will begin to feel better.
Oh my , I will Pray for you, you need Prayers so bad, so others help me out Big Hugs, Debbie
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-13-09, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
I know the candida diet is not malnutrition, a man or woman can live on Protein alone.

I'm sure you mean "protein-rich foods" - you can't live on isolated protein because you also need fat. But you can certainly live on meat alone.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 11:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/280/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Die off

Hi,

If you feel that bad you should ease off some and give yourself a little break. I don't mean quit completely but just cut back on any of the anti-candida things you may be taking. You can do this and it will help ease some of your symptoms. Sometimes you can be doing too much all at once and it takes time to bulid up to being able to kill off the yeast to a more tolerable level. I did the same thing and felt like crap so much so that I was told to ease off by my doctor and just do the diet first till I got the yeast down some and then I added the nystatin and very slowly too. I still get to feeling exhausted if I add too many things at once and have to take my time.

I hope you fel better soon.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 11:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/280/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

You can gargle with baking soda, it kills yeast. Mix a 1/4tsp into 8 ozs of water and just gargle it. It worked for me.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 12:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Getting thrush I think is something that should be checked out by a doctor. There's usually underlying reasons that people get it, like compromised immunity or diabetes.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-09, 11:42

Plan: south beach
Stats: 205/190/170 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi all, I have just done 3 weeks of a "Candida Diet" with very good results!

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.co...cles/intro2.php
Very interesting and for me one of the best programs. Everything makes so much sense... read through it!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 03:42

Plan: Candida diet
Stats: 167/155/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I don't have diabetes or any other major illness although I was sick all winter long and do believe my immune system is currently at a low level. I have been diagnosed years ago with cronic faigue and fibromyalgia although I chose not to take any of the harsh meds they give out for those syndroms. As far as the diet goes, losing so much weight in such a short time put my body at risk. My heart wasn't beating right and one of my kidneys started hurting quite badly. I then read that it's not a good thing for anyone to lose an extreme amount of weight in a short time. It's very hard on the heart and other organs which is why even weight loss programs, 'the ones that are honest' tell people it is safer to lose a pound a week and no faster. Even though I was trying to kill off a yeast infection, my body still couldn't handle my losing weight so fast. I had laid off everything else I was doing and only kept to the diet but that didn't even help, I just kept getting worse and the trush kept getting worse. I was laying on my couch very depressed and feeling terrible every day that went by and scared because of how my heart was beating. I went to the ER about four times in three weeks and it was getting crazy! My blood work then said I had a blood clot and I'd never had a blood clot before in my life! I even take fish oil and actually, every time I would have to have blood drawn, the nurse would say how thin my blood was, so I was very surprised at this blood test. I got back online and tried to make some sense out of it all. I then read that losing weight too fast can also cause blood to clot when it shouldn't. My doctor put me on Xanax to ease my stress at everything that was happening to me and I told him I just couldn't do the diet anymore, he agreed.
I'm still battling the thrush but right now I'm only taking the Nystatin. It hasn't taken it away but it does help keep it at bay. I'm not back where I want to be yet as I did try to do some yard work last week and either pulled or tore a muscle in my left upper thigh, which has been extremly painful, but at least I know it's something that will heal over time, unlike this awful thrush thing that just keeps going on and on and making my life msserable. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm fighting it or just leaving it to do whatever it wants, either way It's driving me nuts. My heartbeat is beginning to slow down a bit now and not be a fluttery as before so that is really a good thing. I also read that sunshine helps get rid of yeast so I'm hoping that if I can spend more time outside, that will help my immune system and the yeast overgrowth. I plan to go back to drinking my echinachea tea to also help my immune system at least get back to a place where I don't feel so bad. Instead of staying away from all the foods I was staying away from when things went haywire, I'm just going to try to mainly eat healthier but not worry so much about keeping away from things like carrots and beets and other foods I know are good for my body even though they might not be so good to get rid of yeast. I'm NOT taking my probiotics for now. I'll save that for when I do start feeling much better. I'm also praying a lot.
I'm not saying everyone will have the problems I've had on the diet. It very well may work for other people. It just did havoc on me.
Take care and I pray all here get better soon. God Bless!
Sheri
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 07:24

How much fat are you eating? Some of those symptoms, especially kidney problems, might be related to not eating enough fat.

Fat, Vitamin D, and minerals such as magnesium might help with some of your problems. Sunbathing and taking a bath in Epsom or Dead Sea salts are pleasant ways to get vitamin D and magnesium.

Much more information than you could ever want is over at the Vitamin D thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=396439
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-09, 20:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/160 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Answer to you problem

When I read your problem I joined this forum just so I could help you.

I've been a medical nutritionist 41 years and am considered among the best in the world. I say this to encourage you to listen to what I'm telling you:

You M U S T bet back on the Nystatin and STAY ON IT!

No alternative anything will rid you of your thrush. Some things might help, but NOTHING will cure you but the Nystatin, and it may tale several months.

Though I am against most of what MD's do, there IS a time and place for them and THIS IS THE TIME AND PLACE for your case.

This is NOT the time for alternative anything. Nystatin is needed and will cure you if you stay with it. And, in this case, put yourself in an MD's hands.

My regular email is carrington~post.harvard.edu

Joe
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-09, 21:26

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Oregano Oil rinses will help the thrush in your mouth. If you get the right kind of oil that doesn't contain alcohol and is pure, a drop in a 1/2 of glass of water and rinsing 3 times a day is good. I also take it internally to fight the yeast. Personally, my yeast sometimes comes back during my cycle which leads me to believe that it it associated with the higher levels of progesterone in my body somehow... I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with hormonal imbalances...

In regards to the Nystatin, it works while you are on it but as soon as I stopped the yeast always came back and I've been on it many, many times! The only thing that works for me is low carb, oregano oil, probiotics, and plenty of fluids and fiber to cleanse the colon and push out the yeast.

Best of luck to you...

TJ
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-09, 07:46
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Hi amachristn,

I'm at the early stages of this too, and having bad die-off like you report, so we can help each other through.

One thing that helped me a lot with the oral symptoms was changing my mouthwash and toothpaste to Aloe Vera toothpastes and mouthwashes with no sodium lauryl sulphate. Aloe Vera is a natural mild anti-fungal, plus the brand I have also has GSE in it (grapefruit seed extract) which is a great anti-fungal.

Also, to help with the oral symptoms, I tend to also have a daily tonic of a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar plus a little grapefruit juice and water.

I have a lot of the same symptoms right now you are also describing, such as very weak arms and legs and feeling like I can't lift or do much. My doctor said to make sure you try to have one BM a day, though, because otherwise the candida toxins may be staying in your gut longer than you want and making more trouble and die-off symptoms for you.

Anyway, I know this isn't much, but I hope it helps. The aloe toothpaste and mouthwashes are usually in the health food shop but they can also be special ordered usually. If you want more info, please feel free to send me a PM. That way, we can try to support each other as we seem to be at the same stages of this.

All the best,

Annajen