Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-08, 16:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/145/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Could this be a yeast overgrowth?

I hadn't even heard of the problems that yeast can cause until recently. I am just in the beginning stages of researching this. In fact, most of the information I have read about this has been right here on this forum.

I have lost a lot of weight on Atkins the last 2+ years. I havent been too low carb the last 6 months. I have had a harder time controlling my eating and have eaten a lot of carbs... usually in the form of whole grains.

Anyway, I got a sinus infection about 6 months ago and was given augmentin for 2 weeks. At the end of those two weeks, I got my first yeast infection. Since then, I have gotten yeast infections monthly that come towards the end of my monthly cycle. I had a lot of bloating during this time, and like I said, a harder time controlling my eating... which could obviously cause the bloating.

Two weeks ago, I got another yeast infection and was given a Z pack. Since then, I have felt my symptoms increase. I have extreme bloating, to the point that my pants are really tight. I have another yeast infection. Everything I eat runs right through me, with abdominal cramping. I feel like I am PMSing constantly. My urine has a funny smell (that has been since before the second round of antibiotics. I have been really nauseous all day too.

So I noticed that a lot of my symptoms coincide and a survey I did online made me think it has to be yeast.

I want to try a candida diet and I was wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction. Any information or suggestions of books to read or websites to check out would be great. I'm cool with taking extreme measures to fight this, because I want to feel like myself again.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-08, 17:18

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Eat some yogurt or take probiotics--they compete with yeast and will replenish your good bacteria. Good luck, very uncomfortable! I like this site:
Healing Naturally by Bee
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-08, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins /IF /Dairy Free
Stats: 299/232/130 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 40%

Let's Talk yeast

Go here, this is where I got a lot of good info and a bunch of good links. Each person is different. I am doing the protocol, and I am on a modified Atkins( no dairy, vinegar , nuts, mushrooms, processed food, coffee etc. ) You have to really take it slowly or you will feel like you are dying!

Read, Read, and RE-Read so you have a good grasp of exactly what feeds the candida and how you will approach your quest to rid yourself of it. There are really 3 steps to the protocol:

Stop feeding the candida (low carb + eliminating the things mentioned above)
Take things to kill the candida ( Cocounut oil, ACV with the mother, Pau d' arco tea, oil of oregano, raw garlic, grapefruitseed extract, olive leaf extract, clove oil)
Take things to re-populate good flora and repair your gut (L-glutamine, probiotics etc.)

I like Bee's site that has been posted for you already. This link I provided will give you others who are also doing the same thing. I am on week 4 and I feel so much better, but I am still getting bloated from time to time which is proof that it is working, and that I am not finished. I wish you the best!

I am currently taking:

CO, Pau d'arco tea, ACV with the mother, Oil of oregano. Next week I will switch OoO with grapefruitseed extract. I mainly eat quality protien, Olive oil, butter, veggies, and water. I am not hungry, nor am I missing anything. I thought I would die without my cheese, but I just don't think about food as much. I am healing and that is the main thing.

Nichole
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 14:58

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbear

Anyway, I got a sinus infection about 6 months ago and was given augmentin for 2 weeks. At the end of those two weeks, I got my first yeast infection.
Two weeks ago, I got another yeast infection and was given a Z pack.

Was the Z pack an antibiotic, too?

It does sound as if you've got some GI/candida issues, so I would steer well clear from any antibiotics in future and go natural.

Virgin Coconut Oil seems to help a lot of people and a good probiotic should help too. Eating yoghurt with live lactobacillus culture would be good, but probably as a long-term strategy to keep the gut flora healthy, rather than something that would cure your problem instantly.

This is a quote from "The Coconut Oil Miracle" by Bruce Fife.

"One of the most potent nondrug or natural yeast-fighting substances is caprylic acid, a medium-chain fatty acid derived from coconut oil. Caprylic acid in capsule form is commonly sold as a dietary supplement in health food stores. It is very effective against candida and other forms of fungi. (...)
Caprinex (Nature's Way), Capricin (Professional Specialities), Mycostat (P&D Nutrition), and Caprystatin (Ecological Formula) are the names of some of the anticandida supplements available."

Hope this helps,

amanda