Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 13:03

Plan: 1972 version
Stats: 275/235/225 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default An encouraging word

Hello all, This is my first post and I am sorry it is one asking for help but I don't know where else to turn. I run a home based business that allows me to be a stay at home father with 2 teenagers, 1 toddler and twin baby boys.

I have been a low carber on and off for over 10 years. The program has worked great for me to keep my weight where I need it to be. I have allowed myself to stray for short periods of time (to enjoy the holidays, etc) But always gone back to my low carb ways.

I am having a problem with Candida I think and it has really knocked me for a loop. About 3 months ago I did a juice fast called the "Master Cleanse" in an effort to help my body stay healhy. This fast clears out all the bacteria in your gut (and is supposed to allow good flora to grow back).

After my cleanse I found myself indulging in alot of sweets and fruit juices. In fact as I indulged more I found even more cravings develop. By Thanksgiving I was the human garbage disposal in my house for junk. Bad I know but the cravings had gotten pretty strong.

During this time I found that every time I ate I got headachy and very tired and top of it I was developing more constant chronic symptoms including headache, irritablity, fatigue, a sense of unease and worst of all a debilitating "brain Fog" that wouldn't even allow me to enjoy playing with my children.

It got so bad I went see a doctor. After testing for Hypoglycemia, Thyroid problems, Blood counts and after my doctor saying I was healthy I searched the internet again. Thats when I read about Candida.

I am now on a strict Candida Diet and taking Candi-Gone (with Grapefruit seed extact and Oil of Oregeno among other things) treatment, Ultimate Flora Probiotics and Braggs Apple Cider Vineger for the past 3 days. My symptoms have stayed the same or at times become worse. This is horrible! I miss smiling naturally. My work has suffered and I am sure my family feels the strain. I need this to stop. I am actually becoming a bit panicked now (and that is not at all like me).

Is this Candida real? I will do whatever it takes to get rid of it. Is there anyone out there who this sounds familiar to? I again apologize for asking but I am scared that I wount be able to play with my kids the same way or feel natural joy if I can't get rid of this brain fog.

I am not eating anything but meat, eggs and lots of vegetables and drinking nothing but filtered water. I am taking my doses regularly. I guess I am asking for hope. I seem to have lost mine in the last couple days.

Thank you for your time.
This is a great board and I have enjoyed reading your posts.
Jim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 13:30

Plan: Candida diet
Stats: 110/107/120 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Jim, I feel miserable and am having doubt too. I look forward to reading the replies to your post.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 13:52

Plan: 1972 version
Stats: 275/235/225 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

You are not alone Lunabelle. Stay strong! Calming breathing, exercise and looking at my kids smile is keeping me sane at this point. Don't give up breast feeding unless you have to. It is the best thing you can do for your child. Find a method to calm your stressed nerves it will do wonders for you and the little one. I will keep you in my prayers. Jim
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 04:34

Plan: low carb healthy
Stats: 132/121.0/110 Female 154 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm sorry no-one responded to your messages Jim and Lunabelle. I doubt you still read the posts, and if you do, I'm sure you are feeling much much better by now.

But Candida is very very real and it can make you feel horrendous. The only answer is to cut out the foods that feed it (sugar, yeast, moldy foods) and supplement with probiotics, pau d'arco, etc. It is very hard to get on top of but it can be done, and when you do it you won't believe the difference in how you feel and how you function.

Like I said, you probably won't read this anyway, but I hope you worked it out.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 09:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This forum doesn't get a lot of traffic unfortunately.

Quote:
During this time I found that every time I ate I got headachy and very tired and top of it I was developing more constant chronic symptoms including headache, irritablity, fatigue, a sense of unease and worst of all a debilitating "brain Fog" that wouldn't even allow me to enjoy playing with my children

You know, this is how a lot of people feel that have a gluten sensitivity. Would you consider trying a gluten free diet for awhile? A couple of weeks should probably give you a good idea if you have this issue.

Gluten is found in wheat, barley, rye (some other wheat type of grains), beer, and commonly soy sauce. You can Google around to get an idea of how to find (and avoid) gluten and work around it. Also, if you want a medical test there's one from Enterolab.com that will test for gluten sensitivity and even do genetic testing. One gene in particular, HLA DQ1, seems to be connected to brain related issues of gluten. And there's a message forum here: http://www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org that has some really well informed people should you have questions.

It sure helped me with a lot of the brain symptoms you're experiencing.

Oops, someone bumped an ancient thread. Oh well, maybe it'll help someone else in the future.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 140/155/140 Female 6 feet
BF:
Progress: -200%
Default I completely understand

I know this thread is ancient, but that's exactly how I feel!! Only I have no children. I do, however, work in a BAKERY!!!!!! I'm insane I know, it's forced me to find another job, quit school, and alienate myself from everything and everybody in my life. Also helped me gain weight...yeah...I used to act & model....

I can only seem to stick to the diet for about 20-30 days before I go insane from being so exhausted all the time and I break down and binge.

It's hard, but each time gets easier. I know I'll get it down eventually...