Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-13, 12:03
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

In his AHS 12 presentation, Dr. Attia mentions at 36:45, that in a subset of his patients, their LDL-P doesn't drop but other markers do including Lp-PLA2, which is a marker of inflammation directly at the arterial wall.

http://youtu.be/8GDx5sObceI
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-13, 16:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

That's why I suggested the egg whites--but egg whites and butter is a pretty silly, unsustainable long-term diet. You could probably keep it up long enough to see if it affected your blood lipids. But doh! Then what?

Jimmy seems to be pretty calm about the whole lipid panel thing, so I doubt he'll panic.
  #243   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-13, 22:10
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

There's a whole lot of stuff that has impressive results on blood lipids. A good chunk of the supplements I was reading about last week do. Is he trying supplements for that? (I haven't kept up.)

PJ
  #244   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-13, 03:39
Lipivore

BF:

I just saw on Facebook that Jimmy got the results of his latest heart-scan. Zero again!

Quote:
The best $100 heart health test ever: Coronary Calcium Score--aka a Heart Scan. Read this TIME column about if you've never heard of this before: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/a...1098964,00.html ~ My last one done in 2009 showed NO calcium deposits in my arteries. I went back today, March 14, 2013, to have another one done to see what that 80-85% fat diet I've been eating is doing to me. My heart calcium score: ZERO again! Isn't this diet supposed to be clogging my arteries? NOT!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....&id=91566951319

Last edited by RawNut : Sat, Mar-16-13 at 10:42.
  #245   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-13, 08:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, there you go. For all the people living in terror of their high LDL... it essentially means nothing.
  #246   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-13, 18:18

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Love hearing that
  #247   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 17:48

#248   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 18:09
Every moment is NOW.

I am utterly fascinated by a few things:

1. How the fasting period after amping up ketones, dropped them lower than normal for awhile. So if there was any goal to increase ketones with fasting that seems to cancel itself out, at the least.

2. His comments on how fasting though fine at the time later seemed to wreck his control and he ate more and more often.

3. How his blood sugar went UP in seeming correlation with the ketones going down.

4. He's down awesomely! Over 70#, that's terrific! He's really put it out for everyone during this, and I realize it's part of his living and his own drive but still I find it inspiring.

Thanks to Jimmy's articles I got a blood ketone meter and some sticks. I haven't used them yet, simply because I haven't yet come up with some foods that I can eat consistently enough to call anything an eating plan rather than an occasionally interrupted fasting plan. But I still intend to.

PJ
  #249   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 04:01

PJ, I'm interested to see how it works for you!
  #250   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 05:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

PJ, I find Jimmy very inspiring generally. He is quite exceptional in ways - a strong and resilient person with unbounded enthusiasm and warm.

I am very interested in how you get on with the blood ketone meter too. Good luck.
  #251   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 16:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Well, there you go. For all the people living in terror of their high LDL... it essentially means nothing.

Well, I certainly hope so, because Dr. Edes' "Real Woman Anne" has reported her blood work after about 5 months in nutritional ketosis.

http://diagnosisdiet.com/nutritional-ketosis-week-3/

Her blood work has shown a rather scary change, even knowing LDL "means nothing" (still at 223?) and total cholesterol above 200 is OK. (at 302?) Trigs up? HDL down? I have accepted that my numbers have "worsened" somehwat doing a ketogenic type diet over a standard diet, but with Jimmy's, and now Anne's, blood work; I am not inclined to embrace NK in its more extreme forms.
  #252   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 18:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Well, I certainly hope so, because Dr. Edes' "Real Woman Anne" has reported her blood work after about 5 months in nutritional ketosis.

http://diagnosisdiet.com/nutritional-ketosis-week-3/

Her blood work has shown a rather scary change, even knowing LDL "means nothing" (still at 223?) and total cholesterol above 200 is OK. (at 302?) Trigs up? HDL down? I have accepted that my numbers have "worsened" somehwat doing a ketogenic type diet over a standard diet, but with Jimmy's, and now Anne's, blood work; I am not inclined to embrace NK in its more extreme forms.

Isn't this a sign of burning fat for fuel?

I can understand a lot of bad information about cholesterol being out there, because there would have been scarcely a person in ketosis to test.
  #253   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 20:03

As some mentioned in the comments, I'd be more concerned with.the vitamin D labs.
  #254   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-13, 21:54
Every moment is NOW.

Well, in all fairness, one of the things a person can't help observing over the years is that in the effort to reduce (check one macronutrient) people are often somewhat less than critical in their evaluation of what they eat within their tolerance areas. I mean, lowcarb is awesome, but really the overall picture of what a person puts in their body has got to mean something too.

I think LC getting total blame or total credit for improved health is maybe overstated a little, since for many people, adding good fats and dropping transfats and grains would alone, regardless of carb intake, have massively improved them. And for others, those things help, but if they ingest a lot of stuff that still amounts to something their body is less than thrilled with (from factory-meat fats to icky stuff in processed meats to dairy they might have low level issues with and LC frankenfoods and so on), it's still likely to have some effect on the overall health.

(In my case for example I think if I had supplemented well I might have not crashed so hard on VLC as I did.)

Not saying this is the cause of anybody's numbers, just saying that there's more than one variable in the overall picture of someone's health.

PJ
  #255   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-13, 02:50
Lipivore

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Isn't this a sign of burning fat for fuel?

It's a side effect of weight-loss but not burning fat per se. She should re-test after being weight-stable for a couple of months. If her lipids don't change, she may be an ApoE4 carrier. Dr. Davis treats them differently. http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/201...o-low-carb.html