Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 15:35

Plan: Low carb/Keto
Stats: 335/334/200 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default Treadmill ???

Hi All

I am considering on getting a treadmill. How many of you own a treadmill ?

I need to get on that is heavyduty for my weight ( 325) lbs and it will cost around 1200....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 15:51

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 208/170.2/170 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I don't own one but I go to the gym and use theirs. Lately been busy so we've done late afternoon walks. Also, I think just sitting up (as opposed to laying on the couch) is making a difference too. You can't get more low-impact than that!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 16:04

BF:

Thanks Nortonman

There is a college gym and rec center gym here where I live however there are times I have to wait for the TM and membership is getting expensive..Plus the Drive to and from the Gym...Just trying to get down on cost.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 16:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've purchased equipment from time to time and it usually gets used for a little while, then it collects dust. I've since learned if I'm going to exercise to do the free sort... walking, resistance training using my own body weight, and so on. Wastes less money.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 16:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I can't use a treadmill cause of my knees. Can't walk fast enough to do myself any good. I find it dead boring anyway.....

My advice would be save your money and find a safe place to just walk.......
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-11, 09:15
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 150/143/120 Female 64''
BF:
Progress: 23%

If you like using the treadmill at your gym, it is definitely more convenient and less of a hassle to use it in your house.

I've used my treadmill for all the years I've had it and I have a crappy bottom model one(and always thought how much better it would be to have a decent one.) Yet, I have discovered that I really don't like jogging, what I bought it for. And walking is okay, but I prefer outside.

Yet, I still can't seem to part with my treadmill. It is always a good fall back and well, it is right there in all weather and when I don't have decent exercise clothes clean, lol.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-11, 11:19

Stats: 190/170/155 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I will offer some advice even though you did not specifically ask...

#1 don't let not having equipment at home be an excuse for not getting exercise. Plenty of success stories from folks who simply walk outside.

#2 the treadmill needs periodic maintenance and replacement parts - you can do it yourself but be prepared for a significant job and expense - much more complicated than changing the oil in your car.

#3 we LOVE having equipment at home - we have used it daily for years - we are the exception - most folks rarely use their home fitness equipment.

#4 when (and if) you shop for home equipment be honest with your weight and size. From your post I think you are best suited with "club" level equipment which means "expensive" - there is a big difference in quality - go to a specialty fitness store to compare the best with cheap to see for yourself. IMHO a $1200 treadmill will not be satisfactory.

#5 NEVER buy new. The used equipment market is full of great club level stuff for pennies on the dollar. First decide what you want then start looking in the usual places - ebay, craigslist, etc. There are also brokers that refurb equipment and ship direct. Our best luck has been with craigslist.

Good Luck!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 09:52

BF:

Thanks All
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-08-11, 13:36

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Like a pp, I use my home treadmill/equipment almost daily, but I bought my treadmill used. Well, from what I understand it was actually never used by the first owner who had lovely intentions. Don't be afraid to buy used, but it will need periodic work Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-11-11, 22:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 303.4/249.3/180 Female 5'5"
BF:too much!!
Progress: 44%

Joe- We (my husaband and I) have been searching on Craigslist and have found a few of them for $100-150 and up..

I personally am not comfortable, (yet) to go work out in a gym, and sometimes have anxiety, so the gym is out... (for now)

I don't personally think your going to have to spend $1200 or MORE on a treadmill.. Good lord that is a lot of money!

Like I said, check out Craigslist, and also walmart & Sears have some great deals on new ones.. Just check out the weight limits! I'm sure you can find one that fits your needs and weight limit..

Good luck on your search for new home gym items!
~Lisa
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-11, 00:25

Plan: Primal
Stats: 478.4/248.0/228 Male 73
BF:28.9%
Progress: 92%

I bought a decent treadmill and its one of the best things I ever did.

I paid about $2000 for mine (everything in the UK costs more) although its rated to 400lbs

http://www.horizonfitness.com.au/elite_series/t608.html

I have terrible knees (being 478lbs will do that, getting it installed to the first floor added to the cost as it weights 250lbs!) but the supper shock loaded deck and by using spongy running shoes I am able to run without much pain in my knees afterwards.

When i started i could not walk upstairs or walk for more than 3 mins on it

17 months later I am running 28 min 5ks!

As for the boredom i have a TV in front of it hooked up to 2TBs of music and TV
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-11, 10:53

Stats: 155/150/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Joe , I purchased a treadmill about 5 years ago. Even though I haven't used it in a few months, it is one of the best investments I have made. I love the fact that I can get on it when the weather is terrible out, or first thing in the morning in my PJ's. I love being able to track my distance, change the incline and do intervals. Like I said, even though I go months without using it, I always end up back on it. I think it would be a great investment. (oh, mine has a cushioned deck on it, I think it is much easier on my joints than running/walking on the road)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-11, 15:03
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've purchased equipment from time to time and it usually gets used for a little while, then it collects dust. I've since learned if I'm going to exercise to do the free sort... walking, resistance training using my own body weight, and so on. Wastes less money.

This.

Unless you're really into garage sales and such.