Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 19:56

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%
Default Can anyone help me with the pain?!

I have had this YI for 6 months! it sort of comes and goes... I dont eat anything on the naughty list. I only eat Mozzerella cheese (Atkins said its ok right? loaned my book out) It was almost gone then I made a steak in some red wine vinegar! I didnt know vinegar was to avoid and I think it caused a HuGE prob for me. I am in so much pain, raw even some bleeding area and all I need to know it what will make it stop hurting!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 09:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I was having a big problem with getting these every month like clockwork before LC. I found going to the doctor's and using the creams and pills never worked. But using Acidofolous cleaned it up completely!!!!!!!!!!! And now if I feel one coming on I pop a few and it's gone.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 10:59
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

You need to see your gyno if there is bleeding involved. It may be candida, there is also a bacteria that can cause symptoms too. Should deffinately get a proper diagnosis.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 18:18

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

been to doc numerous times.... its yeast.. the bleeding is from open cuts from the raw skin...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 19:52

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Does baking soda bathing do any good? It should soothe the area. Or the oatmeal baths like Aveeno. How about asking in a health food store or natural food store. They might have some ideas & products. Sorry you are in such pain.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 20:02

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

This may sound pretty icky, but it worked for me, and I haven't had a problem since. Get a medicine-dispensing syringe (like the type used for infants). Cut the smal nozzle off with a sharp knife, leaving a fairly good size hole. Then, get some plain yogurt with live cultures. Draw it up into the syringe and then "inject" it into the affected area.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 07:37

Stats: 168/160/126 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi Wenzday.

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain! It sounds terrible!!

What Melissa said about natural yogurt is true. It is ickey but it works well. I never used a syringe though, (this sounds even worse) but I used to dip a tampon in the yogurt and insert that. It totally soothes the area and helps to fight the candida.

You must drink lots of water to flush the infection out and (although Atkins says to drink no juice) cranberry juice works wonders, much better than water.

Try salt baths and baking soda baths. They will fight infection too and soothe the pain of candida.
But it's probably best not to have these just yet. Wait until your cuts have healed as they will probably sting at the moment and make things worse.

It's a horrible thing as it is and you seem to have got it so bad! I hope you're well soon. Keep us posted to let us know how it goes.

Oh, and yes, Dr Atkins says you can eat Mozerella.

In fact, as an extra help, here is a list of foods you shouldn't eat(unfortunate as this is!):

DO NOT EAT OR DRINK
Alcoholic Beverages
Barbecue Sauce
Bread or hamburger buns (not that we can anyway on this WOE!)
Buttermilk
Cake
Cashews
Catsup
Cheeses (except fresh)
Chilli Peppers
Citric Acid
Dried Roasted Nuts
Fruit (esp dried and cured)
Horseradish
Mayonaise
Malted Products
Milk
Mincemeat
Mushrooms
Pastry
Peanuts
Pickles
Pistachios
Pretzels
Rolls
Root Beer
Sauerkraut
Smoked Foods
Soured Cream
Soy Sauce
Sugars of any type
Tomato Sauce or Ketchup
Vitamins in a Yeast base.

Most of these can be brought back into your diet once the yeast infection has been gone for a while. Also, not all of them will bring on your infection. I can eat mayo with no problem but any cheese brings it on straight away. You need to work out what you can eat and what you can't. Hope that dosen't sound too daunting!

Good luck!!!
Take care x

Last edited by HumminBird : Tue, Sep-16-03 at 07:53.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 12:11

Plan: my own
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Default Help for pain

Hi Wenzday. I had symptoms similar to what you're describing. Eventually I asked my compounding pharmacist whether he could make up amphotericin suppositories. He could, and my gyn prescribed them, and they worked great. I still have the systemic symptoms but usually don't get vaginal yeast (except on caffeine) — but when I do one of these babies clears it right up. Good luck.