Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-15, 23:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default ​Soda habit may prompt early puberty in girls

Quote:

Sugary drinks may be causing girls to start menstruating earlier, research suggests. A study of girls aged nine to 14 found that those averaging more than 1.5 sugar-sweetened beverages a day had their first period 2.7 months earlier than those consuming two a week or fewer.

The difference of a few months is not great, but the researchers say it may be significant because earlier onset menstrual periods are among the factors contributing to an increased risk of breast cancer later in life. However, one expert said the small change may not be hugely biologically relevant.

Sugary drinks are widely thought to be contributing to childhood obesity, which is already known to be a factor in earlier onset of menstruation.

The lead researcher in the US study, Dr Karin Michels, of Harvard Medical School, said: “Our study adds to increasing concern about the widespread consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks among children and adolescents in the US and elsewhere. The main concern is about childhood obesity, but our study suggests that age of first menstruation (menarche) occurred earlier, independently of body mass index, among girls with the highest consumption of drinks sweetened with added sugar.

“These findings are important in the context of earlier puberty onset among girls, which has been observed in developed countries and for which the reason is largely unknown.”

The scientists said the impact of bringing forward menarche by 2.7 months was likely to be modest. A one-year reduction in age at first period is estimated to raise the risk of breast cancer by 5%.

But they expected some girls to be consuming more than the quantities of sugary drinks measured in the study. Writing in the journal Human Reproduction, the researchers concluded: “The amount of SSBs consumed by girls in our highest category of consumption, more than 1.5 servings per day … is likely low compared with consumption in certain other populations, in which we would expect an even more dramatic decrease in age at menarche.

“Most importantly, the public health significance of SSB consumption at age at menarche, and possibly breast cancer, should not be overlooked, since unlike most other predictors of menarche, SSB consumption can be modified.”

The girls included in the research were participants in the Growing Up Today study, which is following the progress of 16,875 children across the US. Questionnaires asked the girls about their diets at several points in time between 1996 and 2001.

A drink serving was defined as either a can or a glass. Sugary drinks included sodas, fruit drinks, lemonade and iced tea.

By the end of the five-year period, all but 3% of the girls had started menstruating. The average first period age for girls consuming the most sugary drinks was 12.8 years, compared with 13 years for those drinking the least.

After adjusting the results to take account of body mass index (BMI), girls drinking the most SSBs were 22% more likely to start their period in the month after being questioned about their diet than the lowest consumers.

The researchers found that artificially added sugar was chiefly responsible for their findings, rather than natural sugars in drinks such as fruit juices. Drinks with added sugar have a higher glycaemic index than naturally sweetened drinks, leading to rapid spikes of the hormone insulin.

Boosted insulin can result in higher concentrations of sex hormones, and large changes in the levels of these have been linked to periods starting earlier, the scientists said.

Dr Ken Ong, of the Medical Research Council epidemiology unit at Cambridge University, said: “This is a very large study, which was representative across the USA, and the findings are strongly statistically significant. From previous research we know that sugar-sweetened beverage intake promotes weight gain, and that weight gain promotes early puberty in girls – so an SSB-to-puberty link is expected.

“The surprise here is the claim that the association is independent of childhood size – ie that there is a more direct effect of SSB on puberty. This is unexpected.”

Prof Ieuan Hughes, emeritus professor of paediatrics at Cambridge University, cast doubt on some of the findings. “How biologically relevant is a difference of 2.7 months?” he asked. He added that no account had been taken of migration, locality or parents’ occupations.

“It seems to me that the observation in this study suggests that it is weight-related so that the message is clear about the dangers of such sugary drinks. I think the reference to breast cancer is overly alarmist though,” he said.

URL: http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0127212212.htm/
Study: J.L. Carwile et al. Sugar-sweetened beverage consumption and age at menarche in a prospective study of US girls. Human Reproduction, 2015 DOI: 10.1093/humrep/deu349
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-15, 23:53
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Boosted insulin can result in higher concentrations of sex hormones, and large changes in the levels of these have been linked to periods starting earlier, the scientists said.

I'd heard that dairy particularly milk was a big part of this due to the hormones given to the animals to increase milk output. Who knows what is true.

I once read an interesting article on how learning to read and count actually changes the brain in certain ways, and that doing it early with children might actually not be desirable at all, and may bring on other kinds of development sooner than they're well equipped to deal with it.

It seems to me that we usually put more effort into figuring out what is good for tomato plants than humans, in this regard.

PJ
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 04:13

Plan: lchf + if
Stats: 230/169/130 Female 5' 5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 61%

hmmm. Girls are also having puberty younger in countries, where soft drinks are not a thing. I suspect we'll eventually prove it's pesticides.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 05:12

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This is being looked at partly as overweight driving early puberty. Underweight could just as easily drive late puberty--a decrease in late puberties would contribute to a "worsening" here.

Similar to the obesity epidemic, when you look at it from a BMI perspective. Take an overweight person, and add ten pounds of lean mass to them--do this enough times, and you've turned an epidemic of people being "overweight" into an epidemic of being "obese."
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 07:45
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow

I once read an interesting article on how learning to read and count actually changes the brain in certain ways, and that doing it early with children might actually not be desirable at all, and may bring on other kinds of development sooner than they're well equipped to deal with it.

PJ

Interesting. As a kid I didn't drink soda or hormone laced milk and was stick thin, but still had first period at 8 years old. I was, however, taught to read and count very early.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 11:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow

Would love to read about that. Do you have a link?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 16:34
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I don't. It was long ago. One formal edu system, Montessori, may have that in their logic somewhere - they teach reading very late comparatively -- I could be wrong that that's the reason but I remember it was when a close friend's son was new to that edu system that I was reading something about it and talking to her about it, so my brain just associates it.

PJ
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 18:38

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It is not clear if they controlled for weight, or ideally body fat levels. Estrogen is stored in fat. Is the early puberty controlled by fat levels or sugar intake - i.e. did the heavier non-soda drinkers also have earlier puberty?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 19:09
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Build could have a lot to do with it. Though I was stick thin, I have super big thick bones, as did the other girl who started early in my school year, whereas my best friend who is Indian with a tiny frame and tiny bones was very late to start. So maybe not just fat levels.

I seem to remember reading also about insulin sensitivity dropping during puberty - as I had pcos starting prior to or around the beginning of puberty it could be that that increased insulin levels dropped me into early puberty due to pcos.

Increased soda leads to insulin resistance leads to early puberty.